BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > This car is driving me insane

01-06-2015, 02:08 PM   #23
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamweaver View Post
Just had a VW Golf GTD on demo for 3 days, completely blew me away, handling and grip well above the BWM
I guess it has better tyres than your BMW, then. You should take notes of what type it is, and put them on your own car.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 02:47 PM   #24
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
I guess it has better tyres than your BMW, then. You should take notes of what type it is, and put them on your own car.
His BMW tyres can be either worn off, improperly inflated or the inappropriate type already (he mentioned a replacement of the originals) as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 02:54 PM   #25
dreamweaver
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw f30

Quote:
I don't think tyres are the issue, it came with Pirelli and around 5 months ago they all needed changing and was given Michelin as replacements, didn't make a blind bit of difference, that saying they are all run flat tyres so maybe that's the common fault.

I have never found the BM stable in any type of weather since new, and the amount of times the back end has twitched in not so tight bends is untrue. When I got the car my first ever bmw I was looking forward to driving it, but I just don't get the hype over the car, it's ok just not ginning factor, in fact I had more fun in my Focus many years back.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 03:10 PM   #26
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
I don't think tyres are the issue, it came with Pirelli and around 5 months ago they all needed changing and was given Michelin as replacements, didn't make a blind bit of difference, that saying they are all run flat tyres so maybe that's the common fault.
According to my personal tyre preference, run flats are definitely a fault!

Quote:
I have never found the BM stable in any type of weather since new, and the amount of times the back end has twitched in not so tight bends is untrue. When I got the car my first ever bmw I was looking forward to driving it, but I just don't get the hype over the car, it's ok just not ginning factor, in fact I had more fun in my Focus many years back.
That is interesting. Our F20 is super stable, and very hard to bring out of balance. Even including two complete ice track weekends with DSC Off, the car still hasn't swapped ends yet. I find that the car inspires confidence with its sure footed and predictable handling, particularly over bumps and in slippery conditions.

As for the Focus, it is a lighter car, and fun is often inversely proportional to the vehicle weight.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 06:32 AM   #27
steve1975l
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F20 116d ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
The car does not dictate the driving position.

There's also the steering column adjustment to be used in combination.

Yes they are. For me, the crucial feature of the sport seats is the pillow angle adjustment.
I looked into it and adjusted it the best I could when I first got the car. You can't see the bottom of the black display through the steering wheel gap either.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 06:49 AM   #28
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1975l View Post
I looked into it and adjusted it the best I could when I first got the car. You can't see the bottom of the black display through the steering wheel gap either.
I can see the top of the speedometer and the bottom of the black panel display trough the steering wheel in our F20. Sounds like you have too long arms. (I am only 189 cm tall).
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 08:08 AM   #29
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
I do see the dashboard completely through my M Sport steering wheel which is the thickest (and also smaller than the basic?) of the factory optional.

I adjusted my driver's settings twice so far (when I first got the car and when I received it from the service). I must admit, it took three careful iterations both times. Never at once. It was with the sport seat. With the basic one (in the loan 320i) it took two iterations.

I would suggest you either have your seat too low (I put it as high as possible exactly for better view) or your backrest too low (you should be able to reach the top of the wheel without leaning forward).

The idea behind my initial comment was the impression it could be your personal preferences too far from those recommended (for both fatigue decrease and safety) rather than the car's adjustment range too narrow. The correct position is good (and it should be achievable unless you are too big/small).
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 08:25 AM   #30
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
I would suggest you either have your seat too low (I put it as high as possible exactly for better view) or your backrest too low (you should be able to reach the top of the wheel without leaning forward).
I have the rear end of the seat in the lowest possible position, and I still see everything. It is just a matter of the ratio between the distance from your eyes to the steering wheel, and from the steering wheel to the instruments. If you can't see enough, pull the steering wheel further away from the instruments, and move your face closer to the steering wheel.

(BTW, I also have the M-Sport steering wheel).
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 09:40 AM   #31
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
I have the rear end of the seat in the lowest possible position, and I still see everything.
If there's still quite some room above your head, you could see even more of everything by lifting the whole seat higher (entry/exit ease would be a bonus).

Quote:
It is just a matter of the ratio between the distance from your eyes to the steering wheel, and from the steering wheel to the instruments.
Is it, really? I would suggest it's a matter of the viewing angle: if the steering wheel is high and your head is relatively low (due to either reason) the wheel's hub blocks the lower part of the dashboard, doesn't it? If you can see straight through, the wheel does not matter at all, I suppose.

Quote:
If you can't see enough, pull the steering wheel further away from the instruments, and move your face closer to the steering wheel.
I'd say: "put your head right through the wheel gap, closer to the instruments". Sorry. Just a joke.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 10:18 AM   #32
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
If there's still quite some room above your head, you could see even more of everything by lifting the whole seat higher (entry/exit ease would be a bonus).
I have enough room for a helmet, but that is pretty much it. It is regarded as an advantage to sit as low as possible with regards to car control. Not so low that you don't see where you are going, though.

Quote:
Is it, really? I would suggest it's a matter of the viewing angle: if the steering wheel is high and your head is relatively low (due to either reason) the wheel's hub blocks the lower part of the dashboard, doesn't it? If you can see straight through, the wheel does not matter at all, I suppose.
The height of the seat should not really be a factor, since the steering wheel is height adjustable. After finding a good position for the head, adjust the steering wheel height so that you see the instruments. If your head is too far away, and the steering is close to the instruments, the viewing area through the steering wheel could be too small. Then pull the steering wheel out or move your upper body closer.

If you rest your shoulders firmly on the seat, you should reach the top of the steering wheel with your wrists. If not, you are sitting too far back.

Last edited by ovekvam; 01-08-2015 at 02:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 02:09 AM   #33
steve1975l
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F20 116d ED

Quote:
I have enough room for a helmet, but that is pretty much it. It is regarded as an advantage to sit as low as possible with regards to car control. Not so low that you don't see where you are going, though.

The height of the seat should not really be a factor, since the steering wheel is height adjustable. After finding a good position for the head, adjust the steering wheel height so that you see the instruments. If your head is too far away, and the steering is close to the instruments, the viewing area through the steering wheel could be too small. Then pull the steering wheel out or move your upper body closer.

If you rest your shoulders firmly on the seat, you should reach the top of the steering wheel with your wrists. If not, you are sitting to far back.
I am a similar size and have my seat low but not too low. My wrists reach the top of the steering wheel. The steering wheel is slightly down from the top and slightly pulled out. I either chop the top of the speedo out or as I have it now the last line of the display but it's only the mileage anyhow. It seems to be the surround as much as the wheel. It is different/smaller on sport models?

My last car was an E39 with the comfort seats and electric steering column so have I been spoilt. I appreciate the comments as I'd love to get the seating position right.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 07:10 AM   #34
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
It is regarded as an advantage to sit as low as possible with regards to car control.
Is there any reasoning behind that (like you should observe your footwork , or have your own weight down to contribute to the overall gravity centre, etc.)?

My current point is sitting as high as possible contributes to safety by reducing the blind zones immediately around the car and increasing visibility of the road ahead. You don't wear the helmet on the public roads, I suppose. Similarly, imitating a race driver's position (controlled by the factors irrelevant to the "civil" car, in fact) could be just as much important as it turns the car into a racer.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 07:41 AM   #35
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Is there any reasoning behind that (like you should observe your footwork , or have your own weight down to contribute to the overall gravity centre, etc.)?
It is mostly about feeling what the car is doing through the seat. What you want to feel with your butt, is the grip from the tyres. The higher you sit, the more movement you will feel from the car moving around on the suspention, mostly leaning from side ot side.

This is very noticeable if you are in a bus. If it rides over a small bump with one wheel, or leans over in a corner, you can feel a lot of sideways movement starting and stopping. Lots of G-forces that you are not really interested in. What you want to feel, is in the ground level, at the tyre contact patches.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 08:22 AM   #36
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
I appreciate the comments as I'd love to get the seating position right.
RECARO seat training
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 09:14 AM   #37
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
In point 3, I do the opposite, by running the seat down as low as possible. I guess my head ends up rather close to the ceiling anyway, since I am taller than average. Even with point number 4 raised up to the maximum, point number 5 makes no difference. That part of the seat can never make contact with my body. It does leave a little gap between my knees for my sun glasses, though....
Appreciate 0