BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Ordered!

12-28-2011, 02:16 PM   #1
me11ada
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series F20 118D Sport

Ordered!

Hi Guys and Gals,

New to this, but have been reading what people have been writing and made my choice at the weekend!

The spec. F20 Sport 118d.

Colour - Deep Blue Silver

Interior - Anthracite/Red Track Cloth

Interior Comfort Pack - Extended Storage, Automatic Air Con, Extended Interior Light Package.

Visibility Package - Rear View Mirror, Auto Dimming, Headlight Wash, Rain Sensor with Auto Lights, Xenon Lights, Adaptive Lighting, High-Beam Assist.

Sun Protection Package - Windscreen with Grey Shade band, sun protection glass.

Sport Steering Wheel

Run-Flat Tyres

Smokers Package (I don't smoke but the ashtray comes in handy for spare change)

Lumber Support - front and passenger

DAB Digital Radio

Bluetooth Connectivity with USB Audio Interface (6NK)

I got a fantastic deal at the garage and the service was brilliant, just got a couple of questions:-

1. This is my first BMW and rear wheel drive car when it arrives, I currently drive a Golf GT which has been fantastic when it's snowed/icy. The reading i've done has been 50:50 in favour of FWD and RWD - any tips on how to drive a RWD in these kind of conditions would be much appreciated.

2. The 6NK pack that I've got, does that mean that I can use a Snap in Adapter to boast the single?

Thanks in advance

C
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 06:03 AM   #2
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

For no problem winter driving it's enough to have winter tyres.
Congrats and don't forget to post pics when it will arrive
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 06:52 AM   #3
JonF1982
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 116i Sport - Crimson Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by me11ada View Post
1. This is my first BMW and rear wheel drive car when it arrives, I currently drive a Golf GT which has been fantastic when it's snowed/icy. The reading i've done has been 50:50 in favour of FWD and RWD - any tips on how to drive a RWD in these kind of conditions would be much appreciated.
C
Firstly, tyres are really important. Is it necessary to have winter tyres? I’d say not really but sure if you want to pay out for them they are gonna help.

We’ve had a few bad winters in a row (I’m not very far from you in west yorks.) and suddenly everyone is into winter tyres, but this year so far it’s been pretty mild. A set of normal types should be ok for the few days of snow we see in a normal year provided they are in good condition.

I ventured out a couple of years ago on a set that were coming to the end of their life and nearly binned it into a wall, but the following year I had a relatively new set on, and the difference was huge.

The second thing I would say is make sensible decisions, that short cut over the hill that avoids the traffic?….. Forget it, stick to the main road and enjoy sitting in your lovely BMW for a few more minutes of your day. If it’s really bad, leave the BM in the garage, work from home or get a lift from your buddy with the 4x4!

Then lastly, just drive with an extra 10% of caution, keep the speed down and be prepared to react if the rear steps out. If it does, a little bit of opposite steer and keep a little bit of power in to correct it. No drama, this should all be happening at low speed unless you're sebastien loeb! Keep away from low gears and power to avoid wheel spin.

If you get the chance, find a snowy car park or something where you can’t hit anything and practice. Induce a little slide and then use the above technique to drive out of it. You’ll soon get the hang of it and get some confidence, it’s also good fun. Maybe also take someone with you to push if you get stuck!

Hope that helps, just my opinions.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 04:32 PM   #4
JonF1982
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol01 View Post
DSC usually keep the car on the road and electronics takes care of the rest. can't say much about snow tires as we don't get much snow where I live. try some tail slides later on with DSC switched off
Traction Control cannot increase the available traction, it just prevents wheel spin, helping you make the most of what is there. In significant snow, a little wheel spin increases traction. Therefore you're better off with Traction Control switched off! In my 120i i push the DTC button, which still gives you some electronic aid but allows for a bit of wheel spin and stops the computer curbing the engine.

You'll often see old cars running rings round modern cars in the snow, skinny tires and no traction control systems that can't be set up for snow.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 02:38 AM   #5
wolz
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: bmw F20 120d

about rear-wheel-drive; I read a funny fact that there was a poll where alot of bmw 1-series owners got the question wether their car is fwd or rwd. A shocking 70-80% or something like that said their car was fwd so I guess the DSC/antispin and whatnot does a good job. Although scary that ppl are so clueless. Personally the rwd is pretty much the main-reason I drive bmw... I love to drift and as i live in sweden we get alot of snowy/icy months. winter-tyres is a must have here.

I agree with jonf1982, if you get the opportunity, go bananas on an empty parkinglot with dsc off and get a feeling for it. It's very different from fwd. When you loose control of a fwd-car and start sliding sideways you just accelerate and countersteer to get pull the front straight again but with rwd you better not step on the accelerator, rather let go of it totally and countersteer, unless you wanna do a nice powerslide then you should gently press the accelerator to maintain the backend of the car sideways while countersteering.

But with the security-systems turned ON I dont think you have to worry, just go easy on the accelerator especially when turning or changing lane
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 02:49 AM   #6
wolz
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: bmw F20 120d

great specs btw me11ada, but the colour "deep blue silver", blue, silver? both?!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 03:51 AM   #7
JonF1982
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol01 View Post
correct but I was talking about DSC again not much snow here so can't fully comment on it
Ok. Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) is a sub-function of the Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) system. Hence the confusion.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 01:09 PM   #8
me11ada
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the advice so far, have taken loads of on board just need people to point me in the right direction sometimes by spelling it out in black and white....lol

It was a typo, the colour is Deep Blue not silver, I was probably thinking about the trim inside.

Will consider winter tyres in Feb when it arrives, delivery date is 20th Feb can't wait.... like a little kid in a candy shop!!

Will post pics when it arrives

Last edited by me11ada; 12-30-2011 at 01:10 PM.. Reason: additional text
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 04:35 PM   #9
Viva87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F20 118i sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by me11ada
Hi Guys and Gals,

New to this, but have been reading what people have been writing and made my choice at the weekend!

The spec. F20 Sport 118d.

Colour - Deep Blue Silver

Interior - Anthracite/Red Track Cloth

Interior Comfort Pack - Extended Storage, Automatic Air Con, Extended Interior Light Package.

Visibility Package - Rear View Mirror, Auto Dimming, Headlight Wash, Rain Sensor with Auto Lights, Xenon Lights, Adaptive Lighting, High-Beam Assist.

Sun Protection Package - Windscreen with Grey Shade band, sun protection glass.

Sport Steering Wheel

Run-Flat Tyres

Smokers Package (I don't smoke but the ashtray comes in handy for spare change)

Lumber Support - front and passenger

DAB Digital Radio

Bluetooth Connectivity with USB Audio Interface (6NK)

I got a fantastic deal at the garage and the service was brilliant, just got a couple of questions:-

2. The 6NK pack that I've got, does that mean that I can use a Snap in Adapter to boast the single?

Thanks in advance

C
Hi what deal did u manage to get ?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 04:03 AM   #10
eezzee
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F20

Has it arrived yet? Photos?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 10:31 AM   #11
me11ada
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eezzee
Has it arrived yet? Photos?
Hello yes it has, photos will be this evening!! Along with a quick review!! Watch this space.....
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 02:03 PM   #12
me11ada
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva87 View Post
Hiya, I had mine on finance, and as the business manager at the garage put it, if they haven't hit there monthly targets there more likely to make a deal if they have then quite simply they won't move as much.

APR on is 4.9% and the car in total cost approx £26,500 and probably got it for around £24,500 with what I'm paying a month at the mo.

Hope that helps, also helps to visit more than one dealer and find one that your comfortable with.

C
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 02:29 PM   #13
me11ada
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Just two for now, will upload more at the weekend.

Name:  IMG_0103.jpg
Views: 1024
Size:  167.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0104.jpg
Views: 963
Size:  191.3 KB

Will right a review after I've driven it a bit more! But so far so good.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 02:53 PM   #14
eezzee
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F20

Looks great. I had decided on the same colour but somehow switched to mineral grey when it came to signing on the dotted line. Looks fab, dark blue has always suited BMWs. Picking mine up next week, hope I won't regret it :-)
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 03:28 PM   #15
Superspeed
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 640i, 120d, Cooper S

Garage List
Nice car, nice colour! Congrats
      02-23-2012, 05:01 PM   #16
Viva87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F20 118i sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by me11ada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva87 View Post
Hiya, I had mine on finance, and as the business manager at the garage put it, if they haven't hit there monthly targets there more likely to make a deal if they have then quite simply they won't move as much.

APR on is 4.9% and the car in total cost approx £26,500 and probably got it for around £24,500 with what I'm paying a month at the mo.

Hope that helps, also helps to visit more than one dealer and find one that your comfortable with.

C
Thanks that helps alot bit of perspective

Spec I'm going for is
118i sport line
Comfort pack (sensors and cruise control)
Sun protection pack

And then the usual sport stuff

£3500 depost 3 years £290 a month 8000 miles a year

What do you think of this deal should I ask for more at the same price ??

Wouldn't mind xenons/rain sensors auto lights / and anthracite lining
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 09:17 AM   #17
Sonnig
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F20 118i Sport

Nice color, congrats.
Appreciate 0