BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Latest Rumors on BMW Z4, 2 Series GC, X2, X7, 6 Series, 9 Series (Automobile Mag)

05-11-2016, 02:57 PM   #45
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

So basically another pointless squashed SUV

An even larger car and a bus

A butchered 1 and 6 series

Virtually no Z cars to take the fight to the Cayman and Boxster

Nothing remotely about a Mercedes GT and Audi R8 McLaren etc fighter even in i guise

Combined with the move to FWD on the little cars, more halogen headlights and rumours of 4wd M Cars I'd say what a depressing article :/
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 03:01 PM   #46
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

I am in Beijing for the Next 100 Global Tour which is kind of fascinating from a different perspective as it is all about looking forward not looking at the past.
The BMW Vision Next 100 is showcased publicly and will be joined by new concepts from MINI & Rolls-Royce in London and also the public delivery of three Rolls-Royce Dawn models by one customer fully bespoke.

As far as I am aware there is nothing decided yet on the 6er as the numbers speak for itself. The Cabrio and Gran Coupe post respectable global numbers and globally speaking the Gran Coupe is the best selling 6er model. And there is a replacement already in development on the cards.

The 3er GT is actually exceeding market expectations accounting for over 20% of 3er sales which initially projected at around 10% of 3er volume. Although China is a driving force for cars like the 3er GT. European sales are its biggest market adding a hatch to the 3er increases its appeal especially to countries where the volume d-segment hatch is popular.

I would hope the Z5 Coupe is not cancelled. I would certainly hate it to be. Because I think the Coupe will justify the Roadster. The Roadster has a CFRP core starting from the A structure. Combine with a coupe and you have an intriguing recipe for more chassis and structural rigidity providing some exceptional driving dynamics. They need the coupe and they know it.

The 9er is expected to be BMWs ultimate flagship for Technology and sustainable innovation. It will have impressive design,lightweight body, innovative technology,outstanding Dynasm and high performance
With each model will be a PHEV drivetrain under the Power eDrive philosophy.
A fuel Cell soon to be shown in the next 5er Gran Turismo is also going to be available.

Also under discussion is a third Rolls-Royce model positioned between the next Ghost and Phantom.
It will be a four door but will be a more sporting car with a more dynamic roofline, think a Rolls-Royce Gran Coupe but with high exclusivity. There is an idea to expand the Black Badge series into a full fledged concept of exclusive personal luxury but with a more sporting edge. Therefore it could be a sister vehicle of sorts to the 9er. And provide further profitability for both models.

Two new Concepts will be unveiled at the Villa d'Este.
Attached Images

05-11-2016, 03:04 PM   #47
cipher5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Donington Grey X3M Comp

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Keep the 6GC!!! It's so beautiful.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 03:09 PM   #48
SleevedCoyote
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubaron79 View Post
The 6 series GC is gorgeous though. The only GC that looks good done by BMW. Sorry but the 4GC is just ugly.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 03:35 PM   #49
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
I am in Beijing for the Next 100 Global Tour which is kind of fascinating from a different perspective as it is all about looking forward not looking at the past.
The BMW Vision Next 100 is showcased publicly and will be joined by new concepts from MINI & Rolls-Royce in London and also the public delivery of three Rolls-Royce Dawn models by one customer fully bespoke.

As far as I am aware there is nothing decided yet on the 6er as the numbers speak for itself. The Cabrio and Gran Coupe post respectable global numbers and globally speaking the Gran Coupe is the best selling 6er model. And there is a replacement already in development on the cards.

The 3er GT is actually exceeding market expectations accounting for over 20% of 3er sales which initially projected at around 10% of 3er volume. Although China is a driving force for cars like the 3er GT. European sales are its biggest market adding a hatch to the 3er increases its appeal especially to countries where the volume d-segment hatch is popular.

I would hope the Z5 Coupe is not cancelled. I would certainly hate it to be. Because I think the Coupe will justify the Roadster. The Roadster has a CFRP core starting from the A structure. Combine with a coupe and you have an intriguing recipe for more chassis and structural rigidity providing some exceptional driving dynamics. They need the coupe and they know it.

The 9er is expected to be BMWs ultimate flagship for Technology and sustainable innovation. It will have impressive design,lightweight body, innovative technology,outstanding Dynasm and high performance
A fuel Cell soon to be shown in the next 5er Gran Turismo is also going to be available.

Also under discussion is a third Rolls-Royce model positioned between the next Ghost and Phantom.
It will be a four door but will be a more sporting car with a more dynamic roofline, think a Rolls-Royce Gran Coupe but with high exclusivity. There is an idea to expand the Black Badge series into a full fledged concept of exclusive personal luxury but with a more sporting edge. Therefore it could be a sister vehicle of sorts to the 9er. And provide further profitability for both models.

Thank you for posting. Please comment on the F15, I wonder why the silence?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 03:44 PM   #50
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Quote:

Well if true this is less depressing
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 03:48 PM   #51
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1230vani View Post
They will get a refresh but it will be a subtle update nothing too major as they are selling extremely well.
Refresh will include updated technology via connected drive and Touch screen iDrive updates.
The X4 not so much its a mid-life vehicle having entered during the X3 its based on at its mid-life cycle. So its life span is just over four years.
In the Summer Spartanburg will go into lockdown in order to implement the new assembly lines and production methods to handle the CLAR vehicles, first of which is the G01 BMW X3. A new assembly hall is also under competition to handle the BMW X7.

From a production stand point it is correct to introduce a new model X5 especially when everything else manufactured in Spartanburg will be using the CLAR architecture. It also allows the complete renewal of the core of the BMW X portfolio with X3,X4,X5,X6 and the introduction of the first all new X7. But also the non-US built first BMW X2 model and Life Cycle Impulse for the X1. Very appropriate when global sales of SUV/Crossover models continue to grow in market share.
      05-11-2016, 04:05 PM   #52
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1230vani View Post
They will get a refresh but it will be a subtle update nothing too major as they are selling extremely well.
Refresh will include updated technology via connected drive and Touch screen iDrive updates.
The X4 not so much its a mid-life vehicle having entered during the X3 its based on at its mid-life cycle. So its life span is just over four years.
In the Summer Spartanburg will go into lockdown in order to implement the new assembly lines and production methods to handle the CLAR vehicles, first of which is the G01 BMW X3. A new assembly hall is also under competition to handle the BMW X7.

From a production stand point it is correct to introduce a new model X5 especially when everything else manufactured in Spartanburg will be using the CLAR architecture. It also allows the complete renewal of the core of the BMW X portfolio with X3,X4,X5,X6 and the introduction of the first all new X7. But also the non-US built first BMW X2 model and Life Cycle Impulse for the X1. Very appropriate when global sales of SUV/Crossover models continue to grow in market share.
Now that's an answer! Thank you!!! Hope you are right about the touchscreen for the X5, i heard it will only be a SW change similar to the current 6. Thanks again!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 04:21 PM   #53
SMC23
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Subaru XTrek / X5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post

Glad to hear as I just purchased a X5 40e.

I will wait until the M goes to the CLAR architecture and becomes Xdrive hybrid
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 04:21 PM   #54
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
• No Z4 Coupe variant coming, only soft-top roadster model
BS!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 04:25 PM   #55
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Woah, is that a 4 door Z in the sketch?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 04:27 PM   #56
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Yeah, all this pretty much guarantees that my next car won't be a BMW. Sowwee!
Not one vehicle on the list I find interesting. On top of that, eliminating any possibility of a new Z4M coupe.

Is a small BMW sports car with a fixed roof too much to ask for? Cayman fighter.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 04:33 PM   #57
ObsidianX
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 (LBB, 6MT)

Scott, can you comment on the hatchback report? I was hoping BMW would go the other direction... And bring a hot hatch to the US! I wish the current 135i hatch was available in the States.
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2016, 04:41 PM   #58
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
The BMW Vision Next 100 is showcased publicly and will be joined by new concepts from MINI & Rolls-Royce in London.

From a product perspective, it's similar in ways to 1956...without the financial burden. Forward thinking to broaden market share and define the brands for the new and future generations. To do that without alienating the current buying powers and providing a bit of "tradition" is a challenge...though not an impossible one.

The 6er has a niche, but in my opinion it is too broad and over-bounding with the F06/12/13. The GC certainly is successful and a cash-cow, but has the program sacrificed a bit too much at the top and bottom? It ate away 7er sales (in the US at least), and also had a hard time competing with the CLS and A/S7 on price.

The Z5 Coupé program should continue to progress to market. The partnership has been a bit difficult, but there is clarity (at least internally) on what the other-half intends to do with it. A hardtop Z5 would be an inevitable and financially sound route as long as it isn't strangled internally trying to hold its place.

I really hope no one mucks up Rolls Royce. The motorcar company was as good as dead in the mid-90's and had things not worked out in the manner by which they did, VW Management, Design, and Engineering didn't have the vision or abilities to re-imagine Rolls Royce properly. I've seen archived plans and designs...doesn't even come close to what BMW managed to do. The split from Bentley was proper, true to their respective roots, and made one of the most important automotive marques not only relevant again, but re-birthed it for the future and brought success and a bit of jealousy. It was nothing short of a miracle, especially in the short time span available.

Black Badge is something the brand desperately needed. To my knowledge, I have the only Ghost Series II V-Specification EWB in North America. Most "car-nuts" probably have never heard of V-Specification or even knew a "meaner, more athletic" Rolls even existed. Most of my friends go Bentley, Ferrari, or AMG Mercedes. As soon as they saw the promotional video, Black Badge is all they are talking about when it comes to cars they want.

There is room for a Shadow in the model line, but I don't agree that it has to be "between the Ghost and Phantom". Both the Ghost, Phantom, and (soon) Cullinan Families all need a sub-variant or two in order to fill a few untapped segments. Although I know Dr. Gleiber well, I wonder if there aren't some more effective options for Whisper.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 04:52 PM   #59
latum
Enlisted Member
Italy
Rep
Drives: e87 130i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post

Thank you Scott. Any news about the upcoming 1/2 hatch? As an E87 enthusiast (120d, 123d, 130i) I would miss a small hot hatch
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 04:58 PM   #60
bjcarls
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 Tahoe, 22 R1S, 23 Z07

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCarChris View Post
That bit about the 6 series taking in the 911.

Wow.

Clean sheet of paper and start again there then. Current 6 must weight about 300-400kg more ! Not an apples to apples segment at all. Panamera comparison yes fine.
Surprised you were the first to say something. It will never compete if its a BMW.
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2016, 05:03 PM   #61
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiten View Post
From a product perspective, it's similar in ways to 1956...without the financial burden. Forward thinking to broaden market share and define the brands for the new and future generations. To do that without alienating the current buying powers and providing a bit of "tradition" is a challenge...though not an impossible one.

The 6er has a niche, but in my opinion it is too broad and over-bounding with the F06/12/13. The GC certainly is successful and a cash-cow, but has the program sacrificed a bit too much at the top and bottom? It ate away 7er sales (in the US at least), and also had a hard time competing with the CLS and A/S7 on price.

The Z5 Coupé program should continue to progress to market. The partnership has been a bit difficult, but there is clarity (at least internally) on what the other-half intends to do with it. A hardtop Z5 would be an inevitable and financially sound route as long as it isn't strangled internally trying to hold its place.

I really hope no one mucks up Rolls Royce. The motorcar company was as good as dead in the mid-90's and had things not worked out in the manner by which they did, VW Management, Design, and Engineering didn't have the vision or abilities to re-imagine Rolls Royce properly. I've seen archived plans and designs...doesn't even come close to what BMW managed to do. The split from Bentley was proper, true to their respective roots, and made one of the most important automotive marques not only relevant again, but re-birthed it for the future and brought success and a bit of jealousy. It was nothing short of a miracle, especially in the short time span available.

Black Badge is something the brand desperately needed. To my knowledge, I have the only Ghost Series II V-Specification EWB in North America. Most "car-nuts" probably have never heard of V-Specification or even knew a "meaner, more athletic" Rolls even existed. Most of my friends go Bentley, Ferrari, or AMG Mercedes. As soon as they saw the promotional video, Black Badge is all they are talking about when it comes to cars they want.

There is room for a Shadow in the model line, but I don't agree that it has to be "between the Ghost and Phantom". Both the Ghost, Phantom, and (soon) Cullinan Families all need a sub-variant or two in order to fill a few untapped segments. Although I know Dr. Gleiber well, I wonder if there aren't some more effective options for Whisper.
They brought "Black Badge" to Beijing and it was interesting to see wealthy young Chinese make payments for reservations.
They really want to tap into the essence of Black Badge with its own singular concept , a sportier but highly exclusive model like a four dr Coupe.
It is the perfect challenge in regards to how Bentley completely ruined the Mulsanne with its ungainly refresh.
Attached Images

05-11-2016, 06:16 PM   #62
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
They brought "Black Badge" to Beijing and it was interesting to see wealthy young Chinese make payments for reservations.
They really want to tap into the essence of Black Badge with its own singular concept , a sportier but highly exclusive model like a four dr Coupe. It is the perfect challenge in regards to how Bentley completely ruined the Mulsanne with its ungainly refresh.
It may be brash, boogie, and "un-traditional", but the effects of bold and precise marketing are undeniable. I think trying to take Black Badge and attempting a "singular concept" as you say, would be a complete step in the wrong direction, unless it's applied in a way that completely redefines the Rolls Royce Design Theme for all vehicles, but then they'd all be similar to the Wraith. Mulsanne exists for one reason; to cater to the small number of older Bentley buyers. It's what my father would be driving if he was still alive. It does absolutely nothing for me and everyone I know in the under 65 age range. They're a rare sight, even in South Florida.

If someone wants a good place to start on Rolls, completely rethink the wing mirrors so the driver can actually see forward and to the sides. I have very large hands and even they don't cover the entire area which is directly in the field of view.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 06:27 PM   #63
im4su2
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi Coupe, 2016 435i GC

Quote:
The 6 series GC is gorgeous though. The only GC that looks good done by BMW. Sorry but the 4GC is just ugly.
Ugly??
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-11-2016, 06:40 PM   #64
im4su2
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi Coupe, 2016 435i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5against8 View Post
Big fan of the 4GC. I like the 6GC but not nearly as much as the regular 6er coupe. Hopefully my next car will be an M4GC or RS5 sportback (if Audi comes through and BMW doesn't, I may go back to the dark side).
Doubtful there will be an M4 GC: http://www.autoblog.com/2014/07/04/b...not-happening/

Audi doesn't want to canibolize any higher margin A7 variant by bringing over any A5 Sportback variant.

Last edited by im4su2; 05-11-2016 at 06:40 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 06:42 PM   #65
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr
So many conflicting stories for the new Z. The only thing we know for sure is BMW hates this f'ing model.
Here let me clear this up...

Z4 is dead! One day soon a Z4 Coupe.

Z5 (Toyota Twin) Will replaces the current Z4.

There will be a back-to-basics rear wheel drive Z3.

And a FWD Z1 based on the same platform as the new X1.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 06:56 PM   #66
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by im4su2
Quote:
Ugly??
Sorry. I know it's an opinion. I used to have an F32 and I loved the front portions and the aggressive look. I needed 4 doors so I looked at the GC but the rear of it just looks all bubbly and round to me.

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0