BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Warranty and maintenance extension...worth it?

06-01-2016, 10:51 AM   #1
OUGrad05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 and 2022 Acura MDX

Warranty and maintenance extension...worth it?

I hope this is in the right forum. My BMW is a CPO so I'm not particularly worried about it. My wife's 2014 X3 was not a CPO but it is still covered by factory warranty and maintenance.

It's the 2.0 turbo and there have been a few catastrophic failures on these engines that has me a bit concerned. I'm giving consideration to purchasing an extended maintenance agreement and/or an extended warranty through BMW. Right now they have discussed a maintenance plan upgrade and an extended service contract, still waiting to get the details on the differences between these.

I like the idea of trouble free driving through 100k, my wife is putting a lot of miles on the little X3. We drive it for almost every family function.

I know they are pretty reliable overall, the possibility of a timing chain failure is concerning though, I may see if the dealer will check it out when it's in for its oil change in a couple months.

Any thoughts, comments, recommendations around the BMW extended service/warranty agreements would be greatly appreciated.
      06-01-2016, 11:28 AM   #2
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

I'm an FI manager with a German manufacturer here in Canada. It really depends on the price. Extended warranties can cost anywhere from $3 - 7k depending on time and miles.

An up front warranty cost would mean you wouldn't have to budget for surprise repairs down the road. Some also offer the option of a payment plan for the warranty. Some offer claim free rewards (money back) as well as road side assistance.

It's a tough call, for example a water pump is a common thing to go or need replacement on all cars. From our premium german brand the part costs $250 and the standard labour is around $600 so you're getting up to a G-note pretty quick. Although painful in cost, its not quite as much as an extended warranty. But one or two more issues and you've now covered your cost.

Really, you're buying peace of mind...so what is that worth to you.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 03:27 PM   #3
lowbudgethero
Captain
Rep
Drives: '98 Z3M (gone), '09 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [8.50]
For me it has not paid off, I never had to use it. It was a piece of mind thing after hearing so many n54 horror stories.
Appreciate 0