BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > F20 ecu tuning experiences

08-02-2014, 05:53 AM   #1
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

F20 ecu tuning experiences

Hi

I like as many good and bad experiences as possible with different ecu tunes. Me and especially my car are currently trying to get along with the JB4 so I consider if I should try something else.
More specifically I am having problems with boost being over target hence the JB4 goes to a standard map - which also boost over target. Also having what feels like misfires making the car jerk for a split-second - not a nice feeling.
My experience is that the JB4 is not a plug'n'play but more for the experienced and hard core tuner that want much more than just a 20% power increase.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 08:39 AM   #2
GeoBem007
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F21 M135i

There is still no real ECU tune as the boxes still aren't hackable.

All you can do is try and get a high grade of powerbox, which will be more or less build for your own vehicle. Speedbuster is a nice base. We have a dealer in Belgium who builds in Speedbuster modules and customizes them for your own vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 10:55 PM   #3
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep

A custom tune would be the right way to go, but not many tuners in Xiamen...
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 11:12 AM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkes View Post
Hi

I like as many good and bad experiences as possible with different ecu tunes. Me and especially my car are currently trying to get along with the JB4 so I consider if I should try something else.
More specifically I am having problems with boost being over target hence the JB4 goes to a standard map - which also boost over target. Also having what feels like misfires making the car jerk for a split-second - not a nice feeling.
My experience is that the JB4 is not a plug'n'play but more for the experienced and hard core tuner that want much more than just a 20% power increase.
have you sent an email to terry to try and fix the overboost issue?

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 04:24 PM   #5
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
have you sent an email to terry to try and fix the overboost issue?
According to Terry's n54tech website, over boost may occur when using EWG harness and or using map 5 without FF wires fitted.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 04:55 PM   #6
chaddy74
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M135i

Im going to do the same !! I wanst really impressed with the overall drivability of the JB 4 way to much R&D left to be sorted !! Sure WOT was noticeably improved but it was the part to low end throttle that really disappointed me with the JB4. I recently removed the JB4 and went back to stock , this is of course with all my Bolt on's Full Catless exhaust,uppipe, Charge pipe,intercooler,intake,LSD and my car is still blisteringly fast an just so much smoother without the JB4. All the weird jerkiness and inconsistency is gone. I have ordered another tuning box to try with a few more sensors. Im also in discussion with DMS who are very close at releasing a full flash tune. Only downside with removing the JB4 is i now have a CEL due to exhaust emissions - who cares !! they will code it out when i can get a real flash tune
Quote:
Hi

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 02:03 AM   #7
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep

mike@x-ph.com

Yes I have a dialogue going with Terry/Russel but no conclusion or resolution has been offered yet.

My thread: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26109

Last edited by harkes; 08-05-2014 at 02:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 02:11 AM   #8
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pave Dew View Post
According to Terry's n54tech website, over boost may occur when using EWG harness and or using map 5 without FF wires fitted.
Thanks for the hint Pave - Ill try to dive a bit more into this. My car is a 8/2012 hence a non-EWG. I do have that FF-wires installed. My car is overboosting on all maps including map 4.
      08-05-2014, 02:20 AM   #9
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddy74 View Post
Im going to do the same !! I wanst really impressed with the overall drivability of the JB 4 way to much R&D left to be sorted !! Sure WOT was noticeably improved but it was the part to low end throttle that really disappointed me with the JB4. I recently removed the JB4 and went back to stock , this is of course with all my Bolt on's Full Catless exhaust,uppipe, Charge pipe,intercooler,intake,LSD and my car is still blisteringly fast an just so much smoother without the JB4. All the weird jerkiness and inconsistency is gone. I have ordered another tuning box to try with a few more sensors. Im also in discussion with DMS who are very close at releasing a full flash tune. Only downside with removing the JB4 is i now have a CEL due to exhaust emissions - who cares !! they will code it out when i can get a real flash tune
I have the exact same experience. To be honest I just dont trust the JB4 and drive around with a fear of that next jerk in the car so I have also completely unplugged my JB4 and run stock with my mods, which seems to work just fine - thank God for that
Which other box are you looking at currently? Sound even more interesting with the DMS flash - please share any info you might have!
      08-05-2014, 04:17 AM   #10
chaddy74
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Hi Mate !! I purchased the Hartage and Manhart tuning options to compare agaisnt the JB4 experience.... I tested the JB4 with EWG and FF wires up to about 18psi on Map 1,2,5 and a custom map 6 !! I will keep you informed what i think of the other 2 tuning solutions !! In regards to DMS and actual ECU flash tuning , I still believe that it hasent been done successfully...... here is Tony's email as at last night. We can only hope. I also have the Pure Stage 1 turbo upgrade ready for installation but will wait until im confident in my chosen tuning solution or platform prior to installation of that bad boy !!

Hi Chris,

Still issues with the encryption on these ECUs, so I have updated my engineers to the modifications you have already put into place and we should be able to get something happening for you asap.

Regards
Tony

Quote:
I have the exact same experience. To be honest I just dont trust the JB4 and drive around with a fear of that next jerk in the car so I have also completely unplugged my JB4 and run stock with my mods, which seems to work just fine - thank God for that
Which other box are you looking at currently? Sound even more interesting with the DMS flash - please share any info you might have!

Last edited by chaddy74; 08-05-2014 at 06:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 07:31 AM   #11
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep

Quote:
Hi Mate !! I purchased the Hartage and Manhart tuning options to compare agaisnt the JB4 experience.... I tested the JB4 with EWG and FF wires up to about 18psi on Map 1,2,5 and a custom map 6 !! I will keep you informed what i think of the other 2 tuning solutions !! In regards to DMS and actual ECU flash tuning , I still believe that it hasent been done successfully...... here is Tony's email as at last night. We can only hope. I also have the Pure Stage 1 turbo upgrade ready for installation but will wait until im confident in my chosen tuning solution or platform prior to installation of that bad boy !!

Hi Chris,

Still issues with the encryption on these ECUs, so I have updated my engineers to the modifications you have already put into place and we should be able to get something happening for you asap.

Regards
Tony
Damn - I hope you have the option to return the tune you dont want? Thats a lot of money to spend just for testing!!! The one from TMC Motorsport seems popular here in Asia and is dirt cheap compared to almost all other options. I am thinking of giving that a try, but if a flash is on the way I would much prefer that!
I am also thinking of upgrading with the Pure Stage 1 turbo - such a shame the engine "dies" above 6000rpm.
Pleas do keep me/us updated with regards to the other piggy-back solutions - will be very interesting!
      08-05-2014, 03:11 PM   #12
PeterPure
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3

Garage List
2017 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Damn - I hope you have the option to return the tune you dont want? Thats a lot of money to spend just for testing!!! The one from TMC Motorsport seems popular here in Asia and is dirt cheap compared to almost all other options. I am thinking of giving that a try, but if a flash is on the way I would much prefer that!
I am also thinking of upgrading with the Pure Stage 1 turbo - such a shame the engine "dies" above 6000rpm.
Pleas do keep me/us updated with regards to the other piggy-back solutions - will be very interesting!
I also have the pure stage 1 upgrade installed since half april on my pneumatic car. I also have milltek sportcat, wagner intercooler, bms intake and bms meth kit. All above tuned with JB4 only. Contrary to Chaddy I have no issues with the JB4. But if a real flash tune was possible I would run the JB4 on top of it for when i want to activate the Meth kit or put some more ethanol in my fuel.

The pure turbo makes 20 psi mid range and can do 18 psi at 6000 rpm and 16.5 psi at 6500 rpm. They also currently have a groupbuy going. So if you hurry you might be able to get it. I believe 10 people signed up but 1 person hasnt paid yet maybe you can take his spot.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 06:10 PM   #13
chaddy74
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

I cant find any real data of Dyno performance results of either the Manhart or the Hartage tuning options. I will back to back test and advise. TBH a few minor purchases are not going to break me. I will come back with my findings
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 10:25 PM   #14
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhold View Post
I also have the pure stage 1 upgrade installed since half april on my pneumatic car. I also have milltek sportcat, wagner intercooler, bms intake and bms meth kit. All above tuned with JB4 only. Contrary to Chaddy I have no issues with the JB4. But if a real flash tune was possible I would run the JB4 on top of it for when i want to activate the Meth kit or put some more ethanol in my fuel.

The pure turbo makes 20 psi mid range and can do 18 psi at 6000 rpm and 16.5 psi at 6500 rpm. They also currently have a groupbuy going. So if you hurry you might be able to get it. I believe 10 people signed up but 1 person hasnt paid yet maybe you can take his spot.
Where is this groupbuy going on? I am VERY interested! ............found it - I am in

Last edited by harkes; 08-05-2014 at 10:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 11:24 PM   #15
chaddy74
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...1#post16316778

Mine arrived yesterday And they look like this.

Quote:
Where is this groupbuy going on? I am VERY interested! ............found it - I am in
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 12:01 AM   #16
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep

Quote:

Mine arrived yesterday And they look like this.
Looks awesome! And since you also run stock DME it will be very interesting to hear how it works. I am having one too

What made you chose the Pure over the Vargas? The Vargas looks better on the topend but looses low down.
Attached Images

Last edited by harkes; 08-06-2014 at 01:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 02:48 AM   #17
chaddy74
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

The Pure Stage 1 from what i have seen thus far offered zero sacrifice to low down power and provided a more than adequate mid to top end gain. Couple this with all the upgrades i have on my car .... the end game will be pretty nice i Feel. There is a massive unknown on the gearbox being able to hold the extra power not to mention the lack of real tuning solutions for the EWG car so i will be eagerly watching others before I bore in with this modification even tho its in my possession.

Quote:
Looks awesome! And since you also run stock DME it will be very interesting to hear how it works. I am having one too

What made you chose the Pure over the Vargas? The Vargas looks better on the topend but looses low down.
Appreciate 0