BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > rasping or buzzing noise coming from new m135i

05-27-2013, 01:27 AM   #23
kab_m2
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M135i, X1 25i, M2 LCI

Well I just got back from BMW. I got them to unplug the actuator controlling the flap to avoid the awful sound the broken bolt was making for the next 2 weeks until the replacement exhaust arrives. They didnt know what would happen (or if anything would actually happen) but they said I would be covered regardless.

But driving home the car sounded completely different... and for the better! Lots of pops and crackle backfires at low speed and low revs and thunderous extended burps on upshift! It sounded like I had put a whole new exhaust system on. Its brilliant!

In the long term though, I dont know how healthy it is for the car. They did say something about the flap helping to warm the engine up faster or something.

Can anybody definitively confirm that having it unplugged for a couple of weeks wont harm the car?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 02:06 AM   #24
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

I can't see how an open exhaust flap could harm your car. It will only harm your neighbours.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 08:16 AM   #25
kab_m2
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M135i, X1 25i, M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam
I can't see how an open exhaust flap could harm your car. It will only harm your neighbours.
The neighbours can get over it! It sounds great!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 06:16 AM   #26
200ts
South Africa
Rep
Drives: White E90 M3 DCT LCi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab999 View Post
Well I just got back from BMW. I got them to unplug the actuator controlling the flap to avoid the awful sound the broken bolt was making for the next 2 weeks until the replacement exhaust arrives. They didnt know what would happen (or if anything would actually happen) but they said I would be covered regardless.

But driving home the car sounded completely different... and for the better! Lots of pops and crackle backfires at low speed and low revs and thunderous extended burps on upshift! It sounded like I had put a whole new exhaust system on. Its brilliant!

In the long term though, I dont know how healthy it is for the car. They did say something about the flap helping to warm the engine up faster or something.

Can anybody definitively confirm that having it unplugged for a couple of weeks wont harm the car?

Cheers
Hi,

Whats interesting is mine started doing it after I unplugged the sensor, going to connect it tonight and see if it goes away.

I unplugged the sensor when the car was warm.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 12:21 PM   #27
Nicky888
Registered
Rep
Drives: M135i

2015 M135i Rattling Noise

New to forum, bought a 135i 64 plate in Feb this year. Over last 2 months have noticed this rattling noise. From reading threads i understand its the Wastegard. Is this covered under Sytner Warranty? And does anyone know what they will do? I.e replace turbo etc? I have it booked in on Tuesday. Will keep posted
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 12:27 PM   #28
Nicky888
Registered
Rep

2015 M135i Rattling Noise

New to forum, bought a 135i 64 plate in Feb this year. Over last 2 months have noticed this rattling noise. From reading threads i understand its the Wastegard. Is this covered under Sytner Warranty? And does anyone know what they will do? I.e replace turbo etc? I have it booked in on Tuesday. Will keep posted
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 12:29 PM   #29
Nicky888
Registered
Rep

rasping or buzzing noise coming from new m135i

Appreciate 0