BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Has Anyone had Problems with the F20?

03-27-2021, 10:13 AM   #375
KevinFraser60
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M140i

No they never suggested replacing the cap. But having checked this many times there's no clear indication of fluids evaporating past it. I have read else where on here that the coolant should never get that hot to actually evaporate and the pressure on the cap shouldn't exceed 15psi.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 12:07 PM   #376
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

One idea could be to have someone driving behind you and look for white smoke coming from the exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 02:46 AM   #377
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFraser60 View Post
No they never suggested replacing the cap.
They should've suggested to add another tank in the boot (to elaborate their "brilliant" idea of overfilling).

Quote:
having checked this many times there's no clear indication of fluids evaporating past it
Well, it should be another gasket then. When doing the pressure test they should've had the engine properly cold (hot gaskets should hold better then cold ). Or just wait for the summer (a hot one).

Quote:
I have read else where on here that the coolant should never get that hot to actually evaporate and the pressure on the cap shouldn't exceed 15psi.
You should read it here: F20 1 Series Owner's Manual PDF (for download), page 251. Neither overlook the coolant "essence" note. The BMW coolant concentrate should be mixed with distilled water (50/50?). I would guess the concentrate is the "antifreeze": too easy to evaporate if used "solid" in warm weather. The (distilled) water is what should do better in pressure test (provided it's easy to replace there). And by the way, the coolant tank needs it's extra volume ("don't overfill") to allow evaporation to cool faster and turn back into liquid, AFAIK. And it's the properly fitting cap that should prevent "actual evaporation"/escape of the hot steam, this was what I meant. And yes, the ability to evaporate depends on the pressure, of course. But 15psi threshold is atmospheric.

Last edited by No one; 03-29-2021 at 01:31 AM.. Reason: Added a pressure note.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2023, 08:46 AM   #378
mister.t
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F20

no issues so far (98000km), fingers crossed, hum well exept the sticky seat belt on one back seat... grrrr
Appreciate 0