BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Eco Pro Coasting - anyone got it?

10-23-2013, 04:43 AM   #23
pacoluca
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 125i M Sport

I think maybe once you are used to driving in comfort mode, the moment you change it to eco pro, you are unconsciously stepping on accelerator paddle more to get the speed up to where you want, so it uses more fuel. it's just my theory.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 06:10 AM   #24
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacoluca View Post
I think maybe once you are used to driving in comfort mode, the moment you change it to eco pro, you are unconsciously stepping on accelerator paddle more to get the speed up to where you want, so it uses more fuel. it's just my theory.
But isn't rather brisk acceleration good for consumption? Just like airplanes save money by burning a lot of fuel to get quickly up to high altitude, I think cars should get rather quickly (low RPM, high load, low pumping losses in engine) up to a pace where they can cruise economically in a high gear.

The key to low consumption is to not waste energy. Never brake if you don't have to. Coast as much as possible. Avoid high speed where too much power is used to overcome aero drag. Avoid low speed where you can't use high gears.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 05:34 AM   #25
BenArcher
Rep
Drives: MG 125i M-Sport

Just to add a bit more info.

I played around with the coasting a bit today and it seems that at 80Km/h my car thinks it is using 1L/100Km.

Which would lead to the assumption that at idle the engine uses around 0.8L per hour. I still have no idea if it actually saves fuel.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 09:37 AM   #26
orcomma
Dividing by zero
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 XDrive20d xLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
But isn't rather brisk acceleration good for consumption? Just like airplanes save money by burning a lot of fuel to get quickly up to high altitude, I think cars should get rather quickly (low RPM, high load, low pumping losses in engine) up to a pace where they can cruise economically in a high gear.

The key to low consumption is to not waste energy. Never brake if you don't have to. Coast as much as possible. Avoid high speed where too much power is used to overcome aero drag. Avoid low speed where you can't use high gears.
Exactly! And accelerate before a hill so you can let the car slow down a bit on the upward slope - saves fuel and you average the same speed.
      10-24-2013, 10:09 AM   #27
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcomma View Post
Exactly! And accelerate before a hill so you can let the car slow down a bit on the upward slope - saves fuel and you average the same speed.
Yes. And the cruise control is not very good at this. In hilly areas, it tends to do the opposite. It accelerates over the crest, and brakes just before the road levels out after the downhill part.
Appreciate 0