BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Using handsfree without driving or having the ignition on??

06-04-2012, 02:57 AM   #1
fullkoll
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F20 / 118dA

Using handsfree without driving or having the ignition on??

My handsfree works very well when I drive the car, but I can´t find a practical way to used it standing still.

If I press start (without actually starting the car) - the ignition turns on and the phone works, but turning on the ignition also starts fans and a lot more. Not very practical to use the phone then.....

Pressing the start button once more, turns the ignition off - and all fans and lights stop and the handsfree doesn´t work.

Any tips anyone?

Last edited by fullkoll; 06-04-2012 at 03:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 04:08 AM   #2
iBeech
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D F11 2015

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullkoll
My handsfree works very well when I drive the car, but I can´t find a practical way to used it standing still.

If I press start (without actually starting the car) - the ignition turns on and the phone works, but turning on the ignition also starts fans and a lot more. Not very practical to use the phone then.....

Pressing the start button once more, turns the ignition off - and all fans and lights stop and the handsfree doesn´t work.

Any tips anyone?
Do the fans and lights stop when you start driving? I find using hands free while driving and stationary just fine :S
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 04:17 AM   #3
fullkoll
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBeech View Post
I find using hands free while driving and stationary just fine :S
I also find handsfree super while driving, but sometimes I need to stop (making notes or being 100 % focused ......) I want to be able to use the phone with the engine and ignition turned off.......

All the control lamps always stop when I start the engine and the fans continue in the position I put them in.

BMW seems to require ignition on to make it work stationary, or has someone found a way around that?

Last edited by fullkoll; 06-04-2012 at 04:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 05:02 AM   #4
iBeech
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D F11 2015

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullkoll View Post
I also find handsfree super while driving, but sometimes I need to stop (making notes or being 100 % focused ......) I want to be able to use the phone with the engine and ignition turned off.......

All the control lamps always stop when I start the engine and the fans continue in the position I put them in.

BMW seems to require ignition on to make it work stationary, or has someone found a way around that?
still not really sure what you mean- when i need to make hands free when i'm pulled over- i start the call before the ignition is switched off, then once the call starts, turn the car off. hands free stays active until you end the call.

does that help?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 10:23 AM   #5
fullkoll
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBeech View Post
still not really sure what you mean- when i need to make hands free when i'm pulled over- i start the call before the ignition is switched off, then once the call starts, turn the car off. hands free stays active until you end the call.

does that help?
Yeah, that´s the way it works for me too - when I am calling/answering driving.

But I often park the car when I have to make more calls and that´s when my trouble starts...... it drops the bluetooth connection as soon as I stop the car and the only way I can connect again and use the phone (without driving) is by pressing the start button once, with all the consequences I mentioned.....

But it´s probably the only way BMW in its wisdom let me do it ....
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 10:36 AM   #6
playmobilboy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 118i sport

My bluetooth and hifi are still on after switching off the engine, they are completely off only when I get out and lock the car
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 04:12 AM   #7
DirtRoad
Registered
Finland
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i MineralGrey metallic

Fullkoll, I understand your issue well but I think there isn't a solution to that other than manually switching the fans and lights off :P I have got the snap-in option, and I always have my phone inside the armrest as I use it to listen to music in the car. Therefore I find it very annoying that when I'm for example waiting for someone in the car and wanting to call them I have to open the armrest and grab my phone or turn on the ignition. So I guess that's just the way it is...
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 05:51 AM   #8
fullkoll
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by playmobilboy View Post
My bluetooth and hifi are still on after switching off the engine, they are completely off only when I get out and lock the car
You´re absolutely right!

The mistake I made was to turn off the stereo to get the silence I needed to be concentrated before I made the call......

Leaving the stereo on will let me use it as if I was driving.

Thanks!

@DirtRoad:
In the situation you describe (after turning the engine off) the only solution seems to be just what you say: use the phone itself, turn the ignition on - or start the car....

Last edited by fullkoll; 06-05-2012 at 05:56 AM..
Appreciate 0