BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Job search-resume

01-17-2017, 09:09 AM   #1
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Job search-resume

I'm currently employed with the same MEP firm for 15 years.
I would like to updated my resume and check what positions are available in my field. (plumbing design)
how should my resume look, specific format, presentation?
how important is to have a cover letter?
Any sites i can check besides monsters? i do have Linkedin

any advice would help
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 09:17 AM   #2
bimmerfrk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ferrari Red F83

how about this...

https://www.livecareer.com/resume-sa...nical-engineer

has a nice flow.
      01-17-2017, 09:23 AM   #3
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfrk View Post

exactly what i was looking for
thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 09:23 AM   #4
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep
Drives: like I stole it! (11 m3 E93)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
I'm currently employed with the same MEP firm for 15 years.
I would like to updated my resume and check what positions are available in my field. (plumbing design)
how should my resume look, specific format, presentation?
how important is to have a cover letter?
Any sites i can check besides monsters? i do have Linkedin

any advice would help
Well, when you do write a cover letter and resume, you need someone to proofread for you

Also a tip, when using LinkedIn, turn off the notifications when you're updating your profile so that any current colleagues/boss do not see you doing it. Good luck!
Appreciate 3
nyalpine907425.00
FSociety3812.50
      01-17-2017, 09:25 AM   #5
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmette View Post
Well, when you do write a cover letter and resume, you need someone to proofread for you

Also a tip, when using LinkedIn, turn off the notifications when you're updating your profile so that any current colleagues/boss do not see you doing it. Good luck!
good to know
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 09:32 AM   #6
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep
Drives: 612 Scaglietti

Cover letter in my opinion depends on the position you're going for, mostly more formal corporate level. All the resumes that I've helped people with here at the plant have followed the same format.

Sites: Monster, career builder, Indeed
Appreciate 2
nyalpine907425.00
jaye9441010.00
      01-17-2017, 09:57 AM   #7
thebmwjunkiee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d M-Sport

Cover letter will be needed on a case by case basis, but in your field I have a feeling you may not need one. They are quick enough to write up if someone asks. The link for the resume looks sufficient, nice and simple given you've been at the same place 15 years. Just be discreet with who you interview with / approach about a new job, could very easily get back to your firm given your specialized industry

2016 535d M Sport, Space Gray/Mocha
Past: '14 328, '08 335, '04 525, '91 M5, '95 525
Appreciate 2
nyalpine907425.00
      01-17-2017, 10:53 AM   #8
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmwjunkiee View Post
Cover letter will be needed on a case by case basis, but in your field I have a feeling you may not need one. They are quick enough to write up if someone asks. The link for the resume looks sufficient, nice and simple given you've been at the same place 15 years. Just be discreet with who you interview with / approach about a new job, could very easily get back to your firm given your specialized industry
very true, i didnt even think of that.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 11:15 AM   #9
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Once you prepare/update your resume, make sure your Linkedin profile does not conflict with it.

I second the advice to get someone besides yourself to proofread your resume and and Linkedin profile. Its so easy to miss an error when reviewing your own work.

Good luck!
Appreciate 1
nyalpine907425.00
      01-17-2017, 11:30 AM   #10
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

Cover letter is absolutely required. Most recruiters and in-house HR staff will not look at it as part of a first screen. Your resume is the only thing they'll look at. But once you're resume has piqued their interest, your cover letter becomes critical. Without one, your application will be immediately round filed. It is also your opportunity to speak directly to the specific aspects of the job that you excel at and to differentiate yourself from other applicants.

As far as your resume goes, it's fine to have a general resume on LinkedIn (in fact, you should), but when applying for a job, highlight the skills and abilities that are specific to that company and position. I am currently being recruited for two different opportunities and the resume I provided each looks quite different in terms of content.

As far as proofreading goes. The advice here is critical. Proofread it twice yourself, then get someone else to proof it, and then do it one more time yourself. Spelling mistakes and poor writing quality automatically drop you to the bottom of the pile.
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2017, 11:55 AM   #11
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
Once you prepare/update your resume, make sure your Linkedin profile does not conflict with it.

I second the advice to get someone besides yourself to proofread your resume and and Linkedin profile. Its so easy to miss an error when reviewing your own work.

Good luck!
good point, thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 02:22 PM   #12
MetsFan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 G37x

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Good luck! I worked in the MEP field in NYC at FK a few years ago doing HVAC design.

Indeed seems to be pretty popular. What about recruiters? I'm no longer in the NYC area, but I still get calls and emails every week asking me if I'm interested.
Appreciate 1
nyalpine907425.00
      01-19-2017, 01:58 PM   #13
Vitalität
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 & X5

Garage List
2015 BMW i3 BEV  [0.00]
2007 BMW X5 48i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
2004 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmette View Post

Interesting. Didn't know that.

Garage: BMW i3 Giga World BEV | BMW E70 X5
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 08:36 PM   #14
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

I haven't seen anyone use a cover letter in years. I know of no one that has the time to read them in addition to a resume.

Keep the resume brief but meaningful (2 pages max, keep to 1 if you can). It will get scanned for 10-15 seconds to determine if it is worth reading. Then it needs to be good enough to get called in for an interview and to provide information to those who will interview you in an effective efficient manner.

The resume can get you imterviews, but the interviews are key. No cover letter or resume can make up for a bad interview. If you haven't been in the market for 15 years, talk to some friends that may be able to coach you on prepping for them.
nyalpine907425.00
eluded3005.00
      01-22-2017, 12:35 PM   #15
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a

You name it I'm on it, my 2c's

Monster / workopolis - generally spam jobs "do you want to sell insurance?" no I'm a tech did you not read my resume

LinkedIn, MORE of a social network, for jobs, some leads but not that much

Indeed , only found this one out recently, got some GOOD hits and some good leads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axius View Post
Cover letter in my opinion depends on the position you're going for, mostly more formal corporate level. All the resumes that I've helped people with here at the plant have followed the same format.

Sites: Monster, career builder, Indeed
Appreciate 1
nyalpine907425.00
      01-22-2017, 12:40 PM   #16
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a

* use the same KEYwords used in there job application,
* no fancy fonts "arial"
* all the important information relevant to there job in the first 3 or 4 lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
I haven't seen anyone use a cover letter in years. I know of no one that has the time to read them in addition to a resume.

Keep the resume brief but meaningful (2 pages max, keep to 1 if you can). It will get scanned for 10-15 seconds to determine if it is worth reading. Then it needs to be good enough to get called in for an interview and to provide information to those who will interview you in an effective efficient manner.

The resume can get you imterviews, but the interviews are key. No cover letter or resume can make up for a bad interview. If you haven't been in the market for 15 years, talk to some friends that may be able to coach you on prepping for them.
Appreciate 1
nyalpine907425.00
      01-22-2017, 02:00 PM   #17
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:

This is dead wrong advice on the issue of cover letters. Cover letters do matter. Resumes get you past the first screen. Cover letters get you interviews. From there, the interview and references matter a whole lot more than either a cover letter or resume, but if you don't have a cover letter your resume will get round filed.

Although my specialty is labour relations, I routinely give advice to HR generalists, managers, and exectives on defending job selection grievances or human rights/ombudsperson complaints over hiring decisions. I also have hired hundreds of people throughout the years in various management capacities. That should validate my advice.

Take my advice as a professional ... cover letters matter a lot.
Appreciate 4
David0ff1056.00
bimmette6452.50
jaye9441010.00
      01-22-2017, 02:40 PM   #18
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
This is dead wrong advice on the issue of cover letters. Cover letters do matter. Resumes get you past the first screen. Cover letters get you interviews. From there, the interview and references matter a whole lot more than either a cover letter or resume, but if you don't have a cover letter your resume will get round filed.

Although my specialty is labour relations, I routinely give advice to HR generalists, managers, and exectives on defending job selection grievances or human rights/ombudsperson complaints over hiring decisions. I also have hired hundreds of people throughout the years in various management capacities. That should validate my advice.

Take my advice as a professional ... cover letters matter a lot.
Not sure what to tell you, Johnny. Maybe things are different in Canada. Every hiring manager I know wants a succinct and impactful resume - no extra pages. I assist clients with interviews and hiring decisions and can't remember the last time I saw a cover letter. I suppose you could use a cover letter if sending out dozens of unsolicited email (or email) but that's a waste of time in and of itself. If you are being employed at a manager level or above there is a good chance you will be found through a recruiter and they pass along resumes. They also use a phone call to the hiring manager to fill in any introductory background that may appear in a cover letter.
      01-22-2017, 03:06 PM   #19
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Not sure what to tell you, Johnny. Maybe things are different in Canada. Every hiring manager I know wants a succinct and impactful resume - no extra pages. I assist clients with interviews and hiring decisions and can't remember the last time I saw a cover letter. I suppose you could use a cover letter if sending out dozens of unsolicited email (or email) but that's a waste of time in and of itself. If you are being employed at a manager level or above there is a good chance you will be found through a recruiter and they pass along resumes. They also use a phone call to the hiring manager to fill in any introductory background that may appear in a cover letter.
Agree on resume, but disagree on cover letter, and not for unsolicited applications. The resume needs to be directly on point for the position being advertised, but the cover letter gives you an opportunity to provide context. For most senior positions, I can guarantee that it's being read.

If the position is being advertised by a search firm, my advice is to call the recruiter before you submit a resume and cover letter and use that conversation to tailor your cover letter. Guaranteed the search firm is reading it.
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2017, 07:08 AM   #20
csu87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

Find recruiters in your field. It is the fastest way, and easiest way to get inside info on positions, and they can help you with Resume/Cover Letter. I just decided to start looking at other companies last Wednesday. Contacted a recruiter Thursday, talked with an interested company Friday, and have an interview set up for today.

All this talk of cover letters is overblown imo as well. When Im hiring, the cover letter isnt going to make or break it for me, the resume is. Anyone can write a short BS letter, but not everyone has the experience. When I see a "Perfect" cover letter, I tend to think "What are they trying to hide here" vs "Geeze this guy is a good writer".

Best advice Ive gotten on Resumes is to be precise with your info, and make it easily readable/skimmable. Most hiring managers ive worked with/talked with dont spend more than a few seconds on a resume when they are trying to fill a highly applied to position. Education, Certification and Experience are the most critical things and need to be clearly shown. The guys that write a paragraph long "Mission Statement" or Project Descriptions tend to get lost in the minutia.

Not sure how the market is in your area, but in mine, every contractor/engineering firm is hiring right now. Its a great market for someone with a good amount of experience like yourself.
Appreciate 3
nyalpine907425.00
RickFLM410957.50
      01-23-2017, 04:08 PM   #21
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3m40

The best resume builder I have worked with.

https://www.theladders.com/resume-builder/
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 04:16 PM   #22
angelr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 aw/ir m coupe, 2013 S4

I've changed jobs twice in the last 24 months after 10 years in one place (Michelin back to the aftermarket) and yes a cover letter is important. Try to tailor it to the specific position and industry. Also, big endorsement on indeed.com for those looking, far more and better results than the other sites in my experience.
Appreciate 0