BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > F20 tailgate rattle

06-02-2016, 04:34 PM   #23
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

The pillars are supporting the roof of the car. A-pillars at the front, around the windscreen. Then B-pillars between the front and rear doors, and C-pillars at the back.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 06:53 PM   #24
willsbmw1
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 118i M Sport Estoril Blue

Thanks, I guessed that it must be at the back somewhere because of the issues around the tailgate area. Have you come across these issues before ?

Last edited by willsbmw1; 06-02-2016 at 06:54 PM.. Reason: added question
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 12:15 AM   #25
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by willsbmw1 View Post
Thanks, I guessed that it must be at the back somewhere because of the issues around the tailgate area. Have you come across these issues before ?
No. but I have had tailgate rattle on an E36 Compact. It was cured by adjusting the rubber bumpstops the tailgate is resting on.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 10:33 AM   #26
PSG James
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F20 2013

Hi, I had similar rattle sound in the past, andI found out the sound was coming from my rear diffusor and number plate. Worth checking.

Sorry, didnt read the whole paragraph, lol. Please ignore my comment if the technician said the sound is unusual.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 08:10 AM   #27
willsbmw1
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

latest update

Apparently BMW have had several attempts last week trying to eliminate the cause by spot welding then test driving the carthe rattle is still there. I need to find the exact manufacturing date and see if it coincides date wise with Nward1994's manufacturing date although he is having issues with B pillar and I'm having issues with C pillar, Any how as I said I'm driving a nice car at the moment so I'm not really to fussed I will give them plenty of time to get it right.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 05:17 PM   #28
Nward1994
Rep
Drives: F20 xdrive msport 120d

Quote:
Apparently BMW have had several attempts last week trying to eliminate the cause by spot welding then test driving the carthe rattle is still there. I need to find the exact manufacturing date and see if it coincides date wise with Nward1994's manufacturing date although he is having issues with B pillar and I'm having issues with C pillar, Any how as I said I'm driving a nice car at the moment so I'm not really to fussed I will give them plenty of time to get it right.
The problem first started on my B pillar but they fixed that but know i have the problem with the C pillar i have a another 2 weeks before mine can be taken to the body shop again for more work, BMW have refused a new vehicle and offered a pathetic £1k towards another car of the same, but to get the same car it would cost another £4k as the base price has increased so it would mean them getting more money out of me so I've said they are to fix it they are not bleeding anymore money out of me
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2016, 05:37 AM   #29
ILUSV
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M135i

I found this as I was searching a few days back.

any update on your car?

Thanks
Attached Images

Last edited by ILUSV; 07-08-2016 at 05:38 AM.. Reason: attaching file
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2016, 05:28 AM   #30
Nward1994
Rep

My car has been in again for 3 weeks and if you look in the photos i attached the problem stents from the structural beams that cross the roof the tension causes a knocking/ tapping, the problem was with the one closest to the tailgate where it meets c pillar they fixed this by using a wax oil and inserting this into the joint to prevent noise and allow movement. they learnt a mechanic how to do it as a trained BMW bodyshop failed to fix the problem after 3 attempts
i have been told that it is the most common problem in hatchback cars as a lot of strain gets put on the rear cross support beam
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2016, 09:59 AM   #31
ILUSV
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Ouch... that's a major job. I will be taking my car in soon.

willsbmw1, any news for your end?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 10:07 AM   #32
willsbmw1
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Sorry for not replying. Yes car back but that bad I'm replacing it with the newer 3 door version.It probably has more squeaks now than it did before.tailgate rattle gone but cracking and creaking worse.Not my words but my wifes.If i had known how it would end i would have said no.I really couldn't be bothered to fight anymore so Im changing it after a lot of discussions with dealer and Bmw.Same car but 3 door not 5 door same colour which I love. My advice is really discuss the implications of this with dealer.I cant believe that filling post with sealant is the answer when welding fails.8 weeks?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 02:24 PM   #33
ILUSV
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thank you for the feedback and congratulations on your new car. Looking forward to the pics.
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2016, 04:31 PM   #34
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Quote:
I am letting them repair the car to see what happens, but this is the 3rd attempt so its not as if I'm not giving them a fair chance, Did they replace your car at their offer or because you weren't satisfied with attempted repairs. but I just wanted to know how I stood if all fails, believe me I want this to work.

Check to see if you have LEMON laws in your country.
Many countries now have what is commonly called a 'LEMON' law.
This law usually requires the manufacturer to replace the vehicle if the same issue keeps reoccurring or it exceeds a certain number of claims or visits to the dealer.

You would also be surprised how quickly they can fix a problem after the dealer receives a letter from a Lawyer/Solicitor on your behalf.
It may be worth your while talking to a Lawyer/Solicitor if you are not happy with it.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 04:52 PM   #35
willsbmw1
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Re; Lemon Law

thanks for your advice, I have consulted a consumer rights contact we have through the company I work for and basically as long as the BMW agree to repair the car then I have no case to argue, any compensation would be purely based on what they class as good will, that is why I decided to get the best deal I can and cut my losses to get back into a car I want to drive.
Appreciate 1
ttimbo280.00
      07-11-2016, 05:19 PM   #36
Nward1994
Rep

BMW's policy is to repair until the day your warranty ends, it has to be a major defect such as a bent pillar cracked or not welded chassis noticed with in days of signing the picking up paperwork to be replaced, they are very good with their good will gestures as they call them as i have received many over the year of having the car almost got my deposit back but they stopped just shy of it. however if you are in a new car with a good deal you will not get any gesture as you no longer have the car and they will have won by getting more money from you instead
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 08:53 AM   #37
willsbmw1
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Tailgate rattle final chapter for myself

Hi, just to close things off from my point. I have received my new 3dr 118i, lovely looking car, but believe or not found two small dents in the car, Ive had those sorted, and received a couple of goodwill gestures, one being an M2 for the weekend. Was gutted at first but now fairly happy, wish I hadn't been forced into the situation but a fresh start. Hopefully not many people have to go through the same thing. But that's all part of the joys or not of buying motor cars. Will post a couple of pics when I get it polished up. this is the northeast so it does rain a touch.
Appreciate 0