BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Circuit driving shifting question please :)

09-16-2013, 05:44 AM   #1
westphone
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M135i MT

Circuit driving shifting question please :)

Looking at some track time finally, and I have this question about shifting down going into corners. Please look at something like 6:50 -ish of this clip:

I am wondering whether the engine is engaged each time they downshift, because the time duration spent in certain gear is very short like in the clip. Or, if they are going through the motion revving as a good practice to make sure revolution is correct when the corner is finally arrived, then the engine is engaged with good rev. matching....

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 01:46 PM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

You can not downshift that fast with an F20. Rev matching is a good idea, since it will prevent the rear wheels from breaking away when you take your foot off the clutch pedal. When done during braking, it requires some heel/toe action, as you will need to operate all three pedals simultaneously.

I recommend practicing heel/toe in public traffic during daily driving.

If you are not familiar with heel/toe, I recommend braking into the corners with the high gear you had, then open the corner a little before going back on the throttle and do the downshift mid corner after your are done braking.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 12:23 AM   #3
johnnydad
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2 - 05 RS Clio 182 Cup

As ovekvam says, don't worry about going down gears sequentially as you approach a corner, worry about your braking and turn-in points then pick up the appropriate gear - ideally with a heel/toe blip - once you get to the corner.
99 BMW Baby Racer - red; 05 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue - Konis - Eibachs - Remus - Turinis
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 09:45 PM   #4
westphone
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep

Thanks a bunch gents.

I learned my rev matching from my truck driving days, but I guess more practice should be on its way.

In a few laps my friend timed for me, and the only change I made is heel-and-toeing into a corner after a long straight. In particular I would compare going down the gear sequentially or just picking up the gear necessary for the corner exit. Times are similar, picking up the gears suitable for the corner exit actually gives a little better lap time. I think I am at the stage of fixing down braking points and lines before incorporating more techniques, so I guess it's back to more practice and experiment for me.

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 12:51 AM   #5
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

When you are comfortable with heel/toe downshifts, it is easier to do one gear at a time while braking than skipping gears. Otherwise it is easier to just pick the final gear you need for the exit.

In order to compare lap times to see what is best, you need to be very consistent. When you can do several laps within a couple of tenths of a second, you can start testing different approaches based on lap times. And you don't want to use a friend with a stop watch. Download a lap timing app for you phone. I use RaceChrono, but I have seen that Harry's laptimer is also popular.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 07:59 AM   #6
westphone
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep

Again, thank you for your input ovekvam and johnnydad~
Appreciate 0