BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Wearing suit for the first time, need help is this too loose?

07-16-2015, 01:39 PM   #89
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Geez I will never post a photo of myself here get beat up!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 08:15 PM   #90
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANGRKE70 View Post
What's everyone's view on suspenders instead of belt at work?
I think suspenders are today a sartorial affectation that may or may not look good. Whether they do or not depends on how one wears them and whether the rest of one's overall look is well put together. I have a personal preference for the buttoned-on kind, but I don't have a problem with the clipped-on kind.

About the only time I think the suspender look is a disaster, or even slightly off, is when a whole lot else is amiss.

Lastly, I think that if one is going to work wearing pants that actually need suspenders or a belt to hold them up, one should consider buying new pants or having the existing ones tailored to fit.

These guys look fine wearing suspenders.

This guy has made wearing them his sartorial trademark, so it no longer matters whether the rest of us think they look good on him or not. If one makes them one's own trademark, they'll always look right, so much so that if one doesn't wear them, the rest of us will wonder what's wrong.

Here are some examples of how suspenders don't look right at work.

They don't look right at work when they are worn outside of clothing articles they should be beneath; that's carrying the affectation too far. I think it looks silly no matter what, but perhaps there's an occasion where looking silly is what one is after. This look would be just fine then.

Suspenders don't look right at work when they aren't worn over one's shoulders.

The also don't look right when their proportions and one's body proportions aren't aligned.

And even if stripping is what you do for a living, suspenders and "underwear" just don't belong together. If you want your underwear to come off, suspenders get in the way. If you don't want your underwear to come off, you're "up a creek with no paddle" if they break. And if you don't want people to snap them against your body, get over it because it's all but guaranteed folks will do just that; better to just not tempt them.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0