BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Weird noise at high speed.

12-16-2015, 06:54 AM   #1
hardlix
Rep
Drives: 116i

Weird noise at high speed.

Hello everyone!

Recently I had encoutered a strange sound when cruising at high speed (90-110km/h). The sound is repeated like hmmm...hmmm...hmmm. Sorry but this is the best what I can describe the noise. I had the problem checked at service but they could not reproduce the noise (no wonder as they did hard accelleration to achive 100km/h in the city and the road is just too crowded to make the cruising). They did tell me that my wheel bearing, tyre and rim should be ok and having no clue why the weird noise happened.

Perhaps some peoples here can give me some advice. Thank you all!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 10:02 PM   #2
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

It sounds like it could be one of the cars underbody plastic skirts has been damaged or is loose or vibrating that is causing that noise with the wind speed.
The main ones to look at are the wheel arch tubs and the plate behind the front chin
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 02:38 AM   #3
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardlix View Post
Recently I had encoutered a strange sound when cruising at high speed (90-110km/h). The sound is repeated like hmmm...hmmm...hmmm.
I've had a similar experience last winter. Just once. I ignored the sound trusting the car to be all right (it was too dark and cold to stop and look underneath the car and in the wheel arches) and kept driving. (A brave but not most sensible decision, I must admit. ) The sound persisted for quite long (it was a 100+ kilometres trip) but then went away and never returned. I've had my car inspected when getting the oil changed since, including observing it lifted myself: it was all right.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2015, 08:23 PM   #4
hardlix
Rep

Thank you guys! I had the car checked second time at BMW service. They lifted the car up and inspected the underbody but found nothing unusual. They took the car to the road again to reproduce the sound but unable to make it (yes again it's difficult to run at 100km/h in the city). The technician said that the most potential cause is the tyre, as they said that my rim and wheel bearing should be fine.

I've replaced 2 front tires 2 months ago (goodyear efficient grip Runflat). The 2 rear tires had 34.000km on it. Not sure if runflat that run for more than 30K would cause this weird noise
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 06:06 AM   #5
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
They took the car to the road again to reproduce the sound but unable to make it
Can you record the sound for them?

Quote:
I've replaced 2 front tires 2 months ago (goodyear efficient grip Runflat). The 2 rear tires had 34.000km on it. Not sure if runflat that run for more than 30K would cause this weird noise
Why not the fresh ones running in? You can have your tires/wheels checked thoroughly (wear, damage, pressure, wheel balance) at a tire shop.

BMW recommends you change all the four tires at once for handling and stability. I presume the DSC light is not flashing, is it? Yet you could play with it selecting "Traction" or "DSC Off" to see if it makes any difference.

By the way, is your car equipped with the rain sensor? What's the weather when you experience the noise? I recall the rain sensor implies a brakes drying functionality (it involves the brakes slightly now and then to dismiss the water).
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 06:11 AM   #6
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

That sort of noise can also occur at high speed if the rear hatch is misaligned or not properly closed.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2015, 10:59 PM   #7
dishy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
That sort of noise can also occur at high speed if the rear hatch is misaligned or not properly closed.
A number of times I've not realised my boot is open. I have either pressed / knocked the button on the key and have at least once pressed the boot open button with my foot accidentally. I didn't notice any warnings to say a door / boot was not shut fully, though.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 12:45 AM   #8
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishy View Post
A number of times I've not realised my boot is open. I have either pressed / knocked the button on the key and have at least once pressed the boot open button with my foot accidentally. I didn't notice any warnings to say a door / boot was not shut fully, though.
When I once pressed the boot unlock button briefly by mistake (instead of door unlock: I don't take the key out of the pocket) it seemed that nothing happened, but as I set off the warning popped up (with a sound) and the boot went loose (not open) and started to knock. Both quite noticeable. Fortunately there was a speed bump to help to shut it firmly. The same when I unlock the boot but forget to open it.

By the way, warning sound volume is adjustable: I had to turn mine down to stop shocking me just to inform outside temperature is +3.
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2015, 02:01 AM   #9
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishy
Quote:
You should get both a warning light on the dash, and a beep.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 08:59 PM   #10
hardlix
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
Can you record the sound for them?

Why not the fresh ones running in? You can have your tires/wheels checked thoroughly (wear, damage, pressure, wheel balance) at a tire shop.

BMW recommends you change all the four tires at once for handling and stability. I presume the DSC light is not flashing, is it? Yet you could play with it selecting "Traction" or "DSC Off" to see if it makes any difference.

By the way, is your car equipped with the rain sensor? What's the weather when you experience the noise? I recall the rain sensor implies a brakes drying functionality (it involves the brakes slightly now and then to dismiss the water).
I did record the sound and send to dealer. The thing is the noise is easier to notice through the ear phone connecting to the phone than connecting to PC. The file is in the attachment, in the first 30s you can spot the repeated humming noise, I recorded the sound while driving on the bridge.

I got a bubble on front right tyre, so I replaced 2 front only, the runflat tyre is expensive so I want to save some money for the remaining 2 tires.

The noise happens during clear whether, I don't think the rain sensor should be involved. I think I just need to live with it as I got some new problems to deal with recently such as brake light failure, turn indicator light and reversing light failure. Auto start/stop seldom working and squeak/creak when turning the steering wheel
Attached Files
File Type: zip Noise.zip (130.7 KB, 315 views)
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 09:00 PM   #11
hardlix
Rep

Quote:
I am sure the rear hatch is closed and I seldom touch it.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 06:46 AM   #12
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
The file is in the attachment, in the first 30s you can spot the repeated humming noise, I recorded the sound while driving on the bridge.
I'm sorry, I can't tell any humming come and go. Dampers squishing is quite some decoration though, at first I thought it was it, but then noticed your bridge detail - wise choice of the place!

Incidentally: does your car happen to possess an automatic gearbox? High speed = high gear. You could try to sort it out by going down the gear range in the semi-automatic "manual" mode. (Just don't let the engine noise conceal the sound.)

Quote:
Auto start/stop seldom working
The battery must be seldom charged properly. Take longer rides more often or use a charger to fill it up. I would also (and I do in fact) skip auto start/stop usage due to infrequent, but frequently short rides.

Quote:
squeak/creak when turning the steering wheel
It was a common issue with the early cars. Fixable. I just can't tell you if it takes lubrication only to dismiss the issue forever or some minor part replacement - never experienced that myself. Try to search or ask the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 08:12 PM   #13
hardlix
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
I'm sorry, I can't tell any humming come and go. Dampers squishing is quite some decoration though, at first I thought it was it, but then noticed your bridge detail - wise choice of the place!

Incidentally: does your car happen to possess an automatic gearbox? High speed = high gear. You could try to sort it out by going down the gear range in the semi-automatic "manual" mode. (Just don't let the engine noise conceal the sound.)
Well actually the noise is amplified most when driving on the bridge My car is AT, I had noticed that the sound happen in a range 90 - 110km/h with or without accelerating. Dealer had suggested that it probably the tire though they are not sure, I'm getting tired of this and just let it be.

[QUOTE=The battery must be seldom charged properly. Take longer rides more often or use a charger to fill it up. I would also (and I do in fact) skip auto start/stop usage due to infrequent, but frequently short rides.[/QUOTE]

I had taken the car to the dealer recently and the auto start/stop suddenly worked perfectly but right after I took the car home it never work again. Dealer suggested that they could "reset" the car's software and the car pretty much "learn" how frequently I use the function, if I don't use it much and it seldom work

[QUOTE=It was a common issue with the early cars. Fixable. I just can't tell you if it takes lubrication only to dismiss the issue forever or some minor part replacement - never experienced that myself. Try to search or ask the dealer.[/QUOTE]

Dealer had added some crease and now the noise is gone
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 08:15 AM   #14
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
Mine does too; it's the wife telling me off.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 03:08 AM   #15
hardlix
Rep

Update: it seems that there is too much air in the tyre, after releasing some air to around 2kps for all tires, the noise is gone!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 04:00 AM   #16
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Quote:
Update: it seems that there is too much air in the tyre, after releasing some air to around 2kps for all tires, the noise is gone!

Congrats; It is good to hear that you have finally solved it
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 10:24 PM   #17
hardlix
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusF20/F48 View Post
Congrats; It is good to hear that you have finally solved it
Well...I was wrong. The noise is still there. It is quite tricky to figure out what makes that noise. If possible, I want to replace 2 rear tires to see if that solves the problem.
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2020, 04:05 PM   #18
alecalecu
Rep
Drives: 2018 f30 320i msport

same here. 320i msport 2018

so it's been ages since this thread started. any info on the hummm ...hummmm. huummmm noise? it's driving me nuts. changed rear diff, tried several wheel sets, winter, summer, 18inch ,17 inch, nothing. any info, any help?
i am around 40k mileage.
Appreciate 0