BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Switchable exhausts - your thoughts?

02-24-2014, 08:00 AM   #1
Bruce GT3
Private
Rep
Drives: M135i

Switchable exhausts - your thoughts?

Would anyone here be interested in a remotely-switchable stainless exhaust for their vehicle?

FYI this is not like many other systems which I believe use vacuum to operate the valve. This would be a remote valve (probably switched on a keyfob or similar) that when closed, will not reduce the performance of the vehicle but only the sound and loudness of the exhaust. The makers have taken care that the back pressure in the system is minimised and apparently does not change when the valve is operated; this is generally perceived to be a "good thing" when considering turbo'ed motors...

The system is UK designed and manufactured and they have been producing their own valved systems for over 10 years.

The valve itself is an in-house design and manufacture, with stainless steel and hard-anodized aluminum construction. The valve is also a bolt in so if need can be removed or the system can be set to loud or quiet manually to save approx £230 on retail price.

There is no change in flow between loud and quiet and the boxes have no baffles or chambers inside to alter pressure or sound.

The projected retail price of a cat-back system would be approx. £1900 inc VAT.

Please let me have your thoughts....
2013 M135i N55 F21 | Scorpion TBE and Decat |AirREX & Accuair air-ride | JB4 Stage 2 | BMW MP Blackline lights | BMW MP grills | SSDD Carbon Splitter | Birds/Quaife ATB diff | Forge intercooler and atmo BOV
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 08:40 AM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

My thought is that I would leave it in the quiet setting all the time. I don't want to wake up the neighbours when driving on public roads, and track days usually have rather strict noise limits...
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 03:14 AM   #3
Bruce GT3
Private
Rep
Drives: M135i

Revised price...

Already had a revised price from the mfr.

They now think that because of commonality with other systems they reckon £1500 is a better estimate...
2013 M135i N55 F21 | Scorpion TBE and Decat |AirREX & Accuair air-ride | JB4 Stage 2 | BMW MP Blackline lights | BMW MP grills | SSDD Carbon Splitter | Birds/Quaife ATB diff | Forge intercooler and atmo BOV
Appreciate 0