BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Iphone 4

06-09-2010, 03:07 PM   #111
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in PA View Post
Exactly. We have huge areas of low population density to try to bring coverage to as well as super high demand urban markets...
Last year, I drove out west through Nevada and I literally drove for over two hours with no cell signal on either of my phones (Sprint/iPhone) and no AM or FM radio signal either. The enormity of the infrastructure required to get 3,4 or 15G to the masses is prohibitive on a wide variety of levels.

To comment on the OS vs 7 debate, the main reason OS is so popular is the fact that it is completely intuitive. Windows is not. The reason Windows is so prevalent is because its cheap. Windows 7 is nothing more than the end product of someone realizing that most people would rather spend time doing things than learning how to use the computer to do them.

My secretary just got the new HTC EVO, and I played with it for a bit to see waht it was like compared to my 3GS. The screen is beautiful and big, and the animations are beautiful too. Its resolution is higher and there's more contrast. BUT, it is NOT intuitive. It has some features that are clearly the product of fixing some of the niggles paople have with the iPhone, but it doesn't make sense. Its also a bit finicky changing between screens.

The first time I held an iPhone, I was able to navigate easily without hesitation. I handed it to me dad who'd never seen one and he got around too. THATS the reason the iPhone is king right now, not because of the tech specs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 03:23 PM   #112
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
Last year, I drove out west through Nevada and I literally drove for over two hours with no cell signal on either of my phones (Sprint/iPhone) and no AM or FM radio signal either. The enormity of the infrastructure required to get 3,4 or 15G to the masses is prohibitive on a wide variety of levels.

To comment on the OS vs 7 debate, the main reason OS is so popular is the fact that it is completely intuitive. Windows is not. The reason Windows is so prevalent is because its cheap. Windows 7 is nothing more than the end product of someone realizing that most people would rather spend time doing things than learning how to use the computer to do them.

My secretary just got the new HTC EVO, and I played with it for a bit to see waht it was like compared to my 3GS. The screen is beautiful and big, and the animations are beautiful too. Its resolution is higher and there's more contrast. BUT, it is NOT intuitive. It has some features that are clearly the product of fixing some of the niggles paople have with the iPhone, but it doesn't make sense. Its also a bit finicky changing between screens.

The first time I held an iPhone, I was able to navigate easily without hesitation. I handed it to me dad who'd never seen one and he got around too. THATS the reason the iPhone is king right now, not because of the tech specs.

Maybe I'm a nerd, but I have a lot of trouble seeing how Android is not intuitive (though I do not have any experience with the Sense UI of the EVO). If you want to change things, go into settings. Apps are in the app drawer in alphabetical order, beats the random order of my iPhone's pages.

If you want to find something, press the search key.
If you want a menu, press the menu key.
If you want to go home, press the home key.
If you want to go to where you previously were, press the back key.

It just doesn't seem to be non intuitive to me.
      06-09-2010, 03:26 PM   #113
chinoxs203
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335xi AW

Quote:

i know im in the minority but this is type of phone i like and wish apple would allow move customizations of their device without jailbreak. I've been a BB user for 4 years now and love how i can control the just about anything on it for example why cant i choose my damn font size on the iphone, i do NOT want that huge ass font in my settings screen, mail account etc.. i would have loved to have seen a LED message indicator on the 4, at least make the home button square light up when a new message/VM/missed call is received. Once you have that indicator its hard to leave without. and navigating through a BB is not hard, and quicker IMO.. just read..

I bought the 3g and barely used it, sold it a year later. I will be buying the 4 and hope it can make me stay. even with os6 for BB coming i see no phones that will compare to the iphone in specs end support. I love you BB and i want to stay so bad but WTF RIM must be a Canadian thing

FOR SALE:
Dropbox - please
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 03:38 PM   #114
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinoxs203 View Post
I've been a BB user for 4 years now and love how i can control the just about anything on it for example why cant i choose my damn font size on the iphone, i do NOT want that huge ass font in my settings screen, mail account etc.. i would have loved to have seen a LED message indicator on the 4, at least make the home button square light up when a new message/VM/missed call is received. Once you have that indicator its hard to leave without. and navigating through a BB is not hard, and quicker IMO.. just read..
Yeah I agree there are some convenient features the iPhone lacks terribly, most obvious of which was that LED indicator. I couldn't stand that, but I don't think I ever would have gotten addicted to it had I never owned the Bold. Before that point, I would just pick up the phone and press the "home" button or whatever it's called, and look for the notification.... And that's not something that would be hard to implement or lead to massive issues....

I hate huge fonts too. I don't know why they bother me so much, but I've always made everything as small as I can. It looks neater. Kinda like having two people write out the same story onto a page; one does it in ball point pen, the other with crayon....

And as far as the intuitiveness of it goes, I don't think the Android is bad at all.... I think people are just used to the iPhone setup. I'll agree it took me a minute to recognize how to pull up the icon list (the first time I played around with an Android phone), and where the settings were exactly, but it wasn't rocket science, nor was it even moderately cryptic.... But that's pretty subjective.

I can't stand the Sense UI.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 04:40 PM   #115
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

What's the sense UI? ^^^ I agree that other products allow for more customization and perhaps control. And, I have found a few things that the iPhone lacks. However, give either of those products to a noob and I'll lay money down that the Apple product would be found to be easier, thats all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 04:57 PM   #116
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
What's the sense UI? ^^^ I agree that other products allow for more customization and perhaps control. And, I have found a few things that the iPhone lacks. However, give either of those products to a noob and I'll lay money down that the Apple product would be found to be easier, thats all.
Pretty sure the Evo comes with the Sense UI, which is utter crap. It's HTC's UI I think. An upgrade for WinMo phones, but not appreciated by most Android users AFAIK. I personally can't stand it.

But you're right about the Apple product and complete noob-friendliness. I don't think I'd argue that. I do think, however, that the gap is closing in that aspect. Will it ever be shut? I don't know....
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 05:10 PM   #117
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Ahh ok, I somewhat missed your point then. Sense UI is HTC's customization of the Android OS. It's kind of a "skin" with additional features that they put on their Android devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
Pretty sure the Evo comes with the Sense UI, which is utter crap. It's HTC's UI I think. An upgrade for WinMo phones, but not appreciated by most Android users AFAIK. I personally can't stand it.

But you're right about the Apple product and complete noob-friendliness. I don't think I'd argue that. I do think, however, that the gap is closing in that aspect. Will it ever be shut? I don't know....

Yup, the EVO comes with Sense. I do like the flip clock widget
      06-10-2010, 12:18 AM   #118
SoCali E36
BMW Client Advisor
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 40e/e36 M3 Sedan

I got some great news today while speaking to a representative from AT&T over the phone.

1. If you are eligible for an upgrade (even if you currently have an iPhone and are still in a current contract) you can sign a new 2 year contract and get the $199 introductory rate for the 16gb.

2. If you currently have the unlimited data plan (grandfathered) as part of your current contract or if you no longer have a contract and are paying month to month, you can still keep it! All you have to do is sign the 2 year contract for the current plan that you hold.

3. If you have the unlimited data and you need to add another phone line to your plan, you can once again keep the UD. The new line (assuming its an iPhone) is the one that will have the 2gb plan.
      06-10-2010, 12:20 AM   #119
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCali E90 View Post
I got some great news today while speaking to a representative from AT&T over the phone.

1. If you are eligible for an upgrade (even if you currently have an iPhone and are still in a current contract) you can sign a new 2 year contract and get the $199 introductory rate for the 16gb.

2. If you currently have the unlimited data plan (grandfathered) as part of your current contract or if you no longer have a contract and are paying month to month, you can still keep it! All you have to do is sign the 2 year contract for the current plan that you hold.

3. If you have the unlimited data and you need to add another phone line to your plan, you can once again keep the UD. The new line (assuming its an iPhone) is the one that will have the 2gb plan.

That is good news. The new 2GB cap really sucks, I use at least 3-4...they say it'll benefit most users.......by saving them $5. Thanks, AT&T.
      06-10-2010, 12:57 AM   #120
Inspired
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCali E90 View Post

What if we aren't qualify to upgrade yet?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 01:04 AM   #121
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: a car

^^ than your going to have to pay a lot more lol. Cant wait to pre order mine!!
      06-10-2010, 01:05 AM   #122
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AW335TT View Post
^^ than your going to have to pay a lot more lol. Cant wait to pre order mine!!

...cool sig, btw.
      06-10-2010, 01:05 AM   #123
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep

if you guys want to check if you qualify call *639#
      06-10-2010, 01:08 AM   #124
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep

Quote:
...cool sig, btw.
thanks
      06-10-2010, 01:23 AM   #125
335iheLLraiseR
اوليسيس
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Garage List
2007 e92 335  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1n View Post
Same reason they're changing the data plans, too. If you buy a 4G, you lose your $30 unlimited data plan.

Here's my question...can you use existing accessories (car chargers, for example)? We already know that based on the new shape, the old docks probably won't fit. :P
most likely on the chargers. and negative on the data plans, you can keep it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl0m4n View Post
the 4g will be using micro sim card? so the t-mobile & sprint sim cards won't fit in there right once an unlock is available?
att is gsm and sprint is cdma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1n View Post
1. I'm not going through that mess of a FB page to determine what you're saying is right and
2. AT&T Smartphone customers does not mean iPhone customers. If they meant iPhone, they'd have said iPhone.

Stop arguing to argue.
actually the data plans are no longer device specific. whether you own a BB or an iphone is the same plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klipseracer View Post
There IS NO DEBATE between iPhone and Android. iPhone wins and here is why:

http://linuxoniphone.blogspot.com/

Jailbroken iPhone = Android dual boot on a smartphone = win win win. I love android and now I love my iPhone even more. If anyone is a coder we'd love to have you build the toolchain and help us get openiboot working on the 3gs as well as the iphone 4 when it comes out.

They also have android 2.2 froyo running on the iPhone 3g. 2g also runs android:

[u2b]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uJj0kHQgC9w&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uJj0kHQgC9w&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/u2b]
you forgot to add in the whopping 60 minute battery life. seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
I'm sorry; I've owned all three iterations of the iPhone so far, and I have to say that the Android software is "up to par". I don't know why you would think it wasn't; maybe you're either terribly biased or just don't know better due to not having used a recent Android device.

And, let's be honest, for the most part, Apple is playing catch-up in many of the hardware aspects of the phone at this point, not the other way around. They still do have a distinct advantage in the touch screen at this point, but I have to tell you, the gap between the iPhone touch screen and competitor offerings has been significantly reduced in just the past few months. I don't think it'll be long before that is completely nullified.
the do the best job at incorporating the hardware and software into one package. No other manufacturers can say that. none.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC 335i View Post
Lot easier for other markets (Japan) to incorporate such a fast network when their physical geography is so small.
not quite. it has nothing to do with their size, it has to do with the fact that all of their infrastructure is government mandated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC 335i View Post
The biggest telltale signs of Apple's success is it's integration in other products.

You see it everywhere.

Most obvious - Your BMW. IPod hookup.
Gym? Treadmill? IPod hookup.
Audio Receivers - IPod ready.
Little kids? IPods/IPod touch.

Guess what? The IPhone offers this.

Sure, you can use a USB memory stick and different music on your Android or whatever, but your average consumer doesn't want to put music in multiple devices. It's already time consuming or hard enough (for your average consumer) to do so. Most older consumers ask their kids to do it for them.
true. iPhone, iPods, and iPads have a lot of weapons.
Anyone who can transition seamlessly from defending one vendor and bashing another vendor to bashing the one he formally defended and defending the one he formally bashed has a instant credibility problem.
<---Sign up Now for Bonus Storage! Up to 10gb!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 01:26 AM   #126
335iheLLraiseR
اوليسيس
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Garage List
2007 e92 335  [10.00]
Quote:
I'd love to see a more in-depth video of the machining and assembly process. I love how precise all the components on my uMBP are, it'll be nice to own a phone that possesses the same quality. Moving to a glass back was a good move, it'll be significantly less scratch prone than the current plastic.

its actually made out of the material that train windshields are made of.
Anyone who can transition seamlessly from defending one vendor and bashing another vendor to bashing the one he formally defended and defending the one he formally bashed has a instant credibility problem.
<---Sign up Now for Bonus Storage! Up to 10gb!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 02:02 AM   #127
Labrada_Exoticz
Subscribed
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quick question for you guys... I'm having somebody order mine for me on the 15th from apple because I'm gonna be on a cruise; Do they need my phone for anything to place the order or any specific info besides my card? Just want to make sure there aren't going to be any issues.

Also, it'll ship on the 24th or we'll be receiving it on the 24th?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 02:11 AM   #128
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by knext21 View Post
Quick question for you guys... I'm having somebody order mine for me on the 15th from apple because I'm gonna be on a cruise; Do they need my phone for anything to place the order or any specific info besides my card? Just want to make sure there aren't going to be any issues.

I'd guess they'd need to be able to log in to your AT&T account to validate the pre order and contract extension if you are buying with a subsidy. When I upgraded last year, I needed to log in to my account at the Apple store.

As far as delivery, I believe phones pre ordered by a certain (unannounced) cutoff date will be delivered on the 24th.
      06-10-2010, 02:21 AM   #129
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by knext21 View Post

phones will arrive on the 24th. Also don't put over night shipping when you place the order because phone will still be recieved on the 24th... Not guaranteed tho
      06-10-2010, 02:41 AM   #130
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
phones will arrive on the 24th. Also don't put over night shipping when you place the order because phone will still be recieved on the 24th... Not guaranteed tho

Hmmm...I wonder if they'll reveal the planned ship date.

OT:

06-10-2010, 02:55 AM   #131
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep

Quote:
Hmmm...I wonder if they'll reveal the planned ship date.

OT:

Does it really matter lol, all I care about is when it arrives.
      06-10-2010, 03:07 AM   #132
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Does it really matter lol, all I care about is when it arrives.

Lol no, I meant depending on the ship date, 1-day may be the only way to get it on release day.