BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW worried about misuse of connected car data. Has our back for now

01-16-2015, 03:25 PM   #23
bily
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 G05, 22 G26

Garage List
2022 i4  [0.00]
2022 BMW X5  [0.00]
2015 BMW 428 Cabriolet  [0.00]
I thought I read something in the past month that GM was doing this with its OnStar. Marketing to you with advertisements on the screen based on your location. I remember thinking how tacky.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 05:21 PM   #24
Marnem
Registered
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 530dx Touring e61

I'm working at BMW in the ConnectedDrive Development Team and I can assure you, BMW won't give your data away.

Other OEMs deal with Apple or Google to enhance InCar Entertainment with the iTunes or the Play Store and by this hand out the data about you to the Ad whores. We at BMW developed our own Store concept (Launched in 3 european markets in 2014 and will be launched in most ConnectedDrive markets in 2015) and focus on apps that improove the ultimate driving machine and not the ipad on wheels.

We make the M Lap Timer app, others may bring you the AngryBirds app...
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2015, 08:21 PM   #25
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnem View Post
I'm working at BMW in the ConnectedDrive Development Team and I can assure you, BMW won't give your data away.

Other OEMs deal with Apple or Google to enhance InCar Entertainment with the iTunes or the Play Store and by this hand out the data about you to the Ad whores. We at BMW developed our own Store concept (Launched in 3 european markets in 2014 and will be launched in most ConnectedDrive markets in 2015) and focus on apps that improove the ultimate driving machine and not the ipad on wheels.

Cool, thanks for clarifying.

By the way, any plans for M Lap Timer for Android?
      01-16-2015, 08:27 PM   #26
Bosozoku
Almost completely sane
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2, '00 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92proper View Post
how bout you just get idrive/nav in your car?
Or just not buy the Technology Package???
'17 BMW M2 (BSM 6MT Exec CarPlay, TechnicPnP ASD bypass, IND M Perf shift knob + keyhole cover, Pedal Haus pedals + heel plate, 3M CR90 tint, BavSound Ghost woofers, Racing Dynamics strut tower brace, Dinan midpipe, Turner intercooler)
'00 Honda S2000 (Silverstone Metallic, black leather, factory titanium shift knob + front lip + trunk spoiler, front shock tower brace, front subframe x-brace)
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 08:29 PM   #27
Bosozoku
Almost completely sane
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2, '00 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnem View Post

Thank you for that.

Never forget: 97% of Google's revenue comes from ads.
Google is an advertising company that dumps free software onto the market.
'17 BMW M2 (BSM 6MT Exec CarPlay, TechnicPnP ASD bypass, IND M Perf shift knob + keyhole cover, Pedal Haus pedals + heel plate, 3M CR90 tint, BavSound Ghost woofers, Racing Dynamics strut tower brace, Dinan midpipe, Turner intercooler)
'00 Honda S2000 (Silverstone Metallic, black leather, factory titanium shift knob + front lip + trunk spoiler, front shock tower brace, front subframe x-brace)
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2015, 01:42 AM   #28
Marnem
Registered
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 530dx Touring e61

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC View Post
Cool, thanks for clarifying.

By the way, any plans for M Lap Timer for Android?
My experience shows, that dates for Android are quite unreliable, so I don't want to disclose anything that might be wrong. Sorry.

At http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/bmw...roduction.html is an overview which Apps run on which OS.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2015, 06:44 AM   #29
CmdllbF11
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY10 F11 520d SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltidef32
If there is ever a commercial playing in my car, at that point BMW will either need to pay me to drive the car, or prorate my car payment based on the money they earn.

I'm more worried about wives and the government tracking me than Silicon Valley. :-)
: hahaha.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2015, 09:19 PM   #30
AWDBooSTIn90
Nomore
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe 6MT N54

If BMW was asked to sell this info. Or give this info. Im sure other carmakers were asked.

What did audi do? Mercedes? Is your info being given out in other cars? They have the same level of gps/tech.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 03:46 PM   #31
ChrisNich117
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F10 M5 Alpine White ZCP

Garage List
2009 e92 M3 coupe  [0.00]
2013 F10 M5  [0.00]
How about when you hit 150 mph and in the same night get into an accident with another car but it's his fault and the insurance company gets the data and you're screwed regardless....
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 03:18 AM   #32
amyracecar
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 '97 328is, E82 '11 128is

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEMR View Post
A lot of guys don't even realize this go to Google / travel history and you will see that everywhere you've been every time you've been there every part of every piece of map will be in that history. I believe Apple has the ability for that too but I'm on Android and use it frequently it ties into your Gmail account. If your GPS is off then its plots the coordinates with straight lines and triangles if your GPS is on you will see every single street within six feet where you've been and as you hit the cell site the exact time will also be recorded easiest way to see this is from your PC.

It's even so accurate that if the GPS is on and you are in your home it will show you what time you went into each room when you got up and when you went to sleep assuming your GPS is on within five or six feet of accuracy. And we can do this from all of our phones to see a larger map access on your PC.
You can disable the google location history logging function..

I turn it on every now and then, and YES it is SUPER CREEPY..
Normally I keep the GPS off along with the WiFi off and location services off and disable the location history..

I am more worried about the OBD II dongle that is currently voluntary to get better insurance rates.. or the use of your own car's data against you in case of an accident..

Now that you are aware that Google has tentacles into every bit of your life - get that location history turned OFF!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 03:59 AM   #33
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

This is bad news and BMW should stay well away from these types of people and run their connect using Apple at least it is secure. I don't trust insurance companies so do not let them connect to your car. They will do any thing to not pay out on claims and use this data for at least the next 5 years against you.

I did find BMW connect doesn't accept 4g and stayed on 3g which is so slow on an i3