BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > BMW F20 key question

12-21-2023, 06:42 AM   #1
NiKRuLeZ
Rep
Drives: BMW 1 series

Question BMW F20 key question

Hey all

Is there a way for me to check how many fobs are assigned to the iDrive system to allow it to turn on the ignition or is this information only available to BMW?

TIA
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 03:53 PM   #2
NiKRuLeZ
Rep

Bump
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 12:36 AM   #3
IJO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 116I F20

You'd have to ask your BMW dealer.

I'm not sure whether more than two fobs are allowed so if someonne tried to add a third key, the first one would be deleted.

Why do you want more than 2 keys?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 04:47 AM   #4
NiKRuLeZ
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJO View Post
You'd have to ask your BMW dealer.

I'm not sure whether more than two fobs are allowed so if someonne tried to add a third key, the first one would be deleted.

Why do you want more than 2 keys?
I bought a second hand BMW car from BMW dealership but they only provided me with a single set of keys (I'm assuming the original owner lost the 2nd pair when they part exchanged it back to BMW). I asked BMW if it's standard practise for them to remove any key fobs before they sell the car on but I haven't received an answer back from the original sales man :| (prob doesn't want to know me now that he's sold the car). Asked another BMW dealer where I didn't buy the car from they said they would charge 1 hours labour to view/remove a key fob you didn't want on the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 04:58 AM   #5
IJO
Second Lieutenant
Rep

When you say a "single set of keys" do you mean one or two fobs?

You should have two fobs and the key blades for manually locking.unlocking slide out of the fob. (might depend on the model of F20 - what year is yours?)
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 05:08 AM   #6
NiKRuLeZ
Rep

Quote:
When you say a "single set of keys" do you mean one or two fobs?

You should have two fobs and the key blades for manually locking.unlocking slide out of the fob. (might depend on the model of F20 - what year is yours?)
1 fob. It's a 2019 M Sport BMW 1 series (f20).
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 05:14 AM   #7
IJO
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiKRuLeZ View Post
1 fob. It's a 2019 M Sport BMW 1 series (f20).
Just in case a previous owner has kept the fob with a view to stealing it, I would have a BMW dealer supply & code a new fob and recode the existing one if it's possble. (unless they confirm that only two fobs are supported)

This will not be cheap but will give you peace of mind.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 05:18 AM   #8
NiKRuLeZ
Rep

Quote:
Just in case a previous owner has kept the fob with a view to stealing it, I would have a BMW dealer supply & code a new fob and recode the existing one if it's possble. (unless they confirm that only two fobs are supported)

This will not be cheap but will give you peace of mind.
I've paid for a 2nd fob buying it from BMW. Now I'm concerned with the one that's missing. How do I ensure the missing one is still not assigned to iDrive to start the ignition? So at this moment in time, 2 fobs are assigned to unlock and start the ignition and both of them are physically with me.

The existing one was given to me and works fine for both unlocking and starting the ignition.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 05:29 AM   #9
IJO
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Ask BMW if more than 2 fobs are supported. If yes, then explain your concerns and ask if yours can be recoded, or if any others can be 'locked out'.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 05:32 AM   #10
NiKRuLeZ
Rep

Quote:
Ask BMW if more than 2 fobs are supported. If yes, then explain your concerns and ask if yours can be recoded, or if any others can be 'locked out'.
Was hoping to find out from 'the internet' rather than going anywhere near BMW as I find it exhausting asking them and obtaining an accurate answer out of them.

If there is a rule where only 2 fobs can be assigned then that's my worries and questions put to rest/answered.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 05:42 AM   #11
IJO
Second Lieutenant
Rep

You can ask the questions on:

bimmerforums.co.uk and bimmerfest.com
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 09:50 PM   #12
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

You need to address a BMW service to disable unwanted keys.

1. The manual (page 29): "A lost remote control can be blocked by the Service Center".

2. A thread here: "you still should go to the dealer if the car runs to disable the stolen fob".

3. A video (a newer model but it shouldn't differ much, perhaps):

Notice: "This procedure can only be done with a dealer tool.", "The door barrel has been recoded so not even the emergency blade from the lost key can open the car." - this must disable all the "blades", apparently (if it's not a pure bullshit). The barrel needs to be replaced and new blades obtained (if you want this lock to work for you only), I believe.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 08:45 AM   #13
NiKRuLeZ
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
You need to address a BMW service to disable unwanted keys.

1. The manual (page 29): "A lost remote control can be blocked by the Service Center".

2. A thread here: "you still should go to the dealer if the car runs to disable the stolen fob".

3. A video (a newer model but it shouldn't differ much, perhaps):

Notice: "This procedure can only be done with a dealer tool.", "The door barrel has been recoded so not even the emergency blade from the lost key can open the car." - this must disable all the "blades", apparently (if it's not a pure bullshit). The barrel needs to be replaced and new blades obtained (if you want this lock to work for you only), I believe.
Nice!

Going to the dealer to block the car using the same software I can download for free saving myself labour cost too is something to think about.

Also the keyblade that the garage replaces (in that video) ... how will BMW know of the update keyblade if I ever went back to BMW to replace the key/fob rather than the individual garage?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 11:10 AM   #14
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiKRuLeZ View Post
Also the keyblade that the garage replaces (in that video) ... how will BMW know of the update keyblade if I ever went back to BMW to replace the key/fob rather than the individual garage?
"You did not watch closely enough." The garage did not replace anything. They claim they disabled the lock by programming, as if it were like F20/F21's boot lid lock (an electric switch effectively). I don't know about the 'G' model, but in our case it won't work (I guess), as it shouldn't ever: when the battery is completely drained or absent, how will you open the car if the emergency lock isn't purely mechanical? In our 'F' cars it is, I believe: this must be why they forbid shutting the driver's door when it's locked.

If you want to keep BMW aware, order from them. In the thread I referenced I gave a link to the parts (a lock for the blades you have and new blades with the lock).
Appreciate 0