BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Help identifying oil leak on 116i F20 N13 - Is it the head gasket?

01-03-2024, 09:48 AM   #1
invictus24
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 116i

Help identifying oil leak on 116i F20 N13 - Is it the head gasket?

Looking at purchasing a used 2014 116i F20 with mileage at 150,000kms and need some advice on an oil leak. There is oil build-up on the block below the head gasket. Could this be a blown head gasket between an oil gallery and the outside block? No history on what was done to the vehicle in terms of previously fixing oil leaks. Valve-cover has been cleaned, and valve-cover gasket is clean with no leaks. Head has also been visibly cleaned up to the point of the head gasket. See photos attached. [IMG]
View post on imgur.com

No notable codes detected on OBD scan. No specific errors/warnings on I-drive. No coolant contamination. No oil contamination. No smoke from the exhaust.

Does anyone have advice on where the oil has been leaking from based on the photos and previous known problems with the model? What are the chances the head gasket is leaking oil only to the outside, with no other normal signs of failure?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 03:44 AM   #2
IJO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 116I F20

Ask the quesion on bimmerpost.co.uk
There are BMW engineers on there who should know.

I never had any leaks on my 2014 116i fortunately so can only speculate that it is the head gasket assuming its not the rocker cover one.
Appreciate 0