BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > BMW Concept Active Tourer Revealed

09-15-2012, 08:09 AM   #67
Dawko
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: :

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Wood View Post
Warming to the design, how about a 3 door GTI rocket!

Attachment 750960
So nice.. Could you make one of the regular version with the same wheels and different color?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 08:23 AM   #68
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol01 View Post
nonsense. mini is small and has low center of gravity. this is an MPV so tons of difference.
It doesn't matter. The X6 M is a huge tank, it shouldn't move the way it does. The M5 is heavy but is extremely quick. Technology makes up for these flaws. It would be foolish to think the same concepts wouldn't be applicable here. Again, fun does not equal performance so to say FWD can't be fun is full of nonsense.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 09:50 AM   #69
Dawko
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: :

Garage List
  [0.00]
Don't mind the raw finish, did this very, very quick.. This is something I would consider

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 11:06 AM   #70
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol01 View Post
none of the cars you mentioned above are FWD, so get your facts right next time. technology can make a difference but the laws of physic still apply.
Who said they were FWD? The point being made is you can't automatically write off that FWD can't be fun when you have cars like X6 M, X5 M and M5 doing things we didn't think were possible because of the technology being used and implemented. Who says BMW doesn't have something in the works to make FWD fun?

What you and many others are thinking and saying is that because of the body/chassis and the FWD drivetrain, there is no way that BMW can make it fun through various technologies. Sure the laws of physics still apply but that hasn't stopped some reviewers from saying that although the M5 weighs 4000+ lb., it drives and feels like it's lighter.

You can have your doubts (which is understandable with the limited information) that BMW won't properly execute a FWD in terms of BMW standards but to come here and flat out say it's not possible to have any fun with a FWD is nonsense.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 11:08 AM   #71
bimmerJP
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 335i
Location: Texas, the United States of America, Planet Earth, Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts61gogo View Post
This thing does not look anything like BMW proportion-wise.
The front overhang is waaaaay to long and the wheelbase is too short.
Actually, it's pretty short. Especially when you compare it to the 6er. 6 Series has the longest overhang in BMW history...

Still, I don't think BMW should make a FWD car. They should put it under the i brand. Oh well... I will think it is a good car if BMW announces "M1" in near future. Until then, I don't think I will call it a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 10:31 PM   #72
Em/1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

Garage List
2019 VW GTI SE  [0.00]
2020 Tesla M3P  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Metak2you View Post
I think it looks great! Why do people care if it's FWD anyways? Not every BMW needs to be a 'performance' car. It's a hybrid commuter and from the looks of it, seems a lot cooler than the Prius or Insight. If these type of cars can help finance future ///M car development, the I say, Good Job BMW!
+1
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 06:55 AM   #73
Norsk
Major
Norway
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Overall reaction to the first FWD BMW is very high in favour amongst BMW forums and online media.
The car is certainly getting talked about in a very good way.

The important thing to me and what I have been saying for a very long time now is how many (even @ Bimmerpost) understand that BMW have developed these cars on their own terms. Re-interpreting these cars to generate more appeal and dare I say more debate.

We might have overdone the rehtoric on our RWD capability in the past but the Active Tourer shows that we have grown up and became more mature in our attitude to a FWD concept. MINI worked so why couldn't a BMW?

Now we have proved that FWD can be re-intepreted as a BMW by expressing core BMW values in a concept that completey defies the conventional option. And this is what will bring customers to the showroom.

Paris is going to be interesting as our competitors will be all over this car on press day.

In my Town people have asked me what the production car will be like?
They are interested because they have these types of space concept for family pursuits etc.

What will change is in reality the concept elements but exterior and interior is very much what you will see if you add the more realistic elements.
This Active Tourer also provides an insightful insight into how the other BMW FWD vehicles will turn out as they will share the same design elements and bloodline.
And nothing in exterior or interior with MINI. What lies underneath is engineered to accomodate both brands , each with a different character with MINI going for the great to drive fun factor with BMW aiming for a more serious sporting edge.
Very well said Scott.

Please get this same team (or top design approval) on the LCI update of the 3 series or at least the next version.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 07:00 AM   #74
eezzee
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F20

Indeed the test will be in seeing it in the metal in Paris and subsequently the production version.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 12:38 PM   #75
Wolf
Captain
Rep
Drives: on hold

It looks good.. It will outsale all cars in the same class. Congratz. Owning a BMWGMC now is no longer a privilege.
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
BMW have tapped into this by mirroring typical BMW dynamics and steering communication within the new UKL cars.
You mean massive body roll, a steering system that is not connected to the front wheels, and the engine note played through the speaker system?!?!?!?!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 06:26 AM   #76
Harold Wood
Chopperphoto
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Loadsabimmers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregD View Post
So nice.. Could you make one of the regular version with the same wheels and different color?
Blue for you
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 03:32 AM   #77
[space]
Norway
Rep
Drives: F30 330E

About the FWD issue.
Remember it has electrical RWD. If you can switch it to e-drive manually you will have RWD fun as long as you're in the city, on the supermarket parking lot, in roundabouts, and other places you loke to wiggle your tail. With max NM from the engine the entire range.

About the overhang in the front. I can't see it is any worse than the e90?

I like it!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 08:33 AM   #78
Pentium
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspeed View Post
I hear ya. I wish BMW used a sub-brand for this category of vehicles (e.g. i, Saab).

However, it's got electric RWD, so if the engineers program it to kick in at the right times (e.g. hard acceleration, cornering), it doesn't have to drive like a typical FWD appliance. *fingers crossed*
yeah exactly, I wish they do this, but I think FWD cars are coming
      12-11-2012, 11:51 PM   #79
washout04
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper S

I like the look of it, although I prefer the more low slung position of the F20.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 09:34 PM   #80
randomquickness
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 996tt

any update if/when this thing will make it to market?
      04-18-2013, 06:08 AM   #81
MisterLonsdale
Rep
Drives: F20 116 ED

I always thought that the new model A from mercedes looked too much like a copy of the bmw 1.
With this one, it looks like BMW copied from the new B class...
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 04:20 AM   #82
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

Now I don't care what I buy now BMW has gone front wheel drive. I know this will not worry BMW, they are now followers not leaders any more.