BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Laser or Lasik eye surgery..any experiences?

09-12-2006, 10:23 PM   #1
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d 421,000kms

Laser or Lasik eye surgery..any experiences?

I just took off my contacts.

Again.

At 45 years old, i am so sick of them.

I have a mild astygmatism (sp?) in both eyes, and I need glasses or contacts (for the last 35 years).

So have any of you done laser eye surgery? My optometrist who I trust says not to. But millions of people do it and I never hear about any class action lawsuits or anything.....

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2006, 10:28 PM   #2
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
good thing you asked this. Im also sick of my contacts and want to get this surgery in couple of months. a bit scared though.

My aunt did this few years back(she was around 37?). She did it because she was also sick of putting contacts on. After the surgery, she had some side effects for few weeks. She couldn't see really well at night. I think it was pretty serious few a week for two, but it all went away. Now, she is just like any other person with good eyes. No side effects, nothing.

I've heard alot of success stories, but also heard horror stories(but most of them were mainly back then, when this surgery wasn't as common). I think its a relatively easy/safe surgery to do nowdays. so I was thinking, stew, Why don't you do one first and let me know how it goes?

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2006, 10:43 PM   #3
nabutes
career student
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi

I did it. And, I think it was one of the better decisions I've made in my life....

I think I posted my experience somewhere on this forum. I remember someone asking this before....

Anyways, go for it! If you qualify for the procedure, you won't regret it.....
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2006, 10:47 PM   #4
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
nabutes, I also heard something about "qualification".
People told me your eyes can't be too bad or you can't be too old... or something.
any more details?

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2006, 11:11 PM   #5
F2006
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i GC M Sport

Qualifying means being a good candidate: a good doctor will tell you if the procedure is right for you (a bad one will only think about the easy $$$ and will offer you the procedure anyway). Make sure you approach a good doctor. Ask for a second opinion.

As far as I know a common problem for Lasik patients is poor night vision (worse than before the surgery) due to halos and glare. This usually happens to patients with large pupils. Severe dry eye is another counterindication.

In addition, all eye surgeries for correcting myopia permanently weaken the eye. If you play sports you may need to use some sort of eye protection after the surgery.

The point is, if something goes wrong you can't undo the procedure.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2006, 12:09 AM   #6
findtom
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E60 545i

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
If you google a little bit you will find a few stories that will make you cringe with fear.

I wear contacts too and have considered it.

I have spoken to my optician about it many times I also recently discussed it with an optician from out west who is a customer. He said the reason not to do it past a certain age is due to the need for bifocal lenses. He also said the volume at which they perform these operations is quite alarming.

I'm not doing it for a few reasons:

1) I'm a wimp. I had to lie down with a wet towel on my head during the consultation for having my wisdom teeth removed... I was majorly medicated for the procedure itself (2 valium tablets + injected sedative). I would never make it in the room knowing that I'd be conscious for the operation and that they need to make an incision on your eye.

2) My prescription still changes and 100% success rate isn't all that great as I recall. I would hate to go through all that and still need glasses even if it was a weaker prescription.

3) There are some common side effects, and a few horror stories. I would hesitate to risk something as precious as my vision for the sake of some inconvenience.

4) There are lots of new things coming out. My cousin wears contacts that she only has to remove/change once per month and swears by them. There are also some non-surgical corrective methods I've heard of (i.e. contacts you wear at night that reshape your cornea).
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2006, 12:22 AM   #7
NaTuReB0Y