BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > This Advertising class is kicking my butt

09-09-2006, 10:08 PM   #1
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

This Advertising class is kicking my butt

I have a bunch of assignments due this week, including that survey I conducted (thanks guys!). The next one that I am doing involves 7 environmental trends that impact the advertising campaign for the Pontiac Solstive GXP. I need to come up with articles from our electronic library database on 7 different topics, but I can only think of a few.

1. Raising oil prices force automotive manufacturers to turn to hybrids, ethanol vehicles, etc.
2. Foreign companies such as Hyundai are threatening US manufacturers with their improved quality
3. New competition from Chinese auto manufacturer Geely will undercut US prices
4. Auto manufacturers are continually globalizing the production process

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2006, 10:16 PM   #2
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

did that chineese company have to change from Chery to Geely to stop GM from bitching?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2006, 10:23 PM   #3
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
did that chineese company have to change from Chery to Geely to stop GM from bitching?
That's another Chinese company

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2006, 10:34 PM   #4
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

it doesn' thave anything to do with that bad ben affleck jennifer lopez movie does it?

geeely..... yuck!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2006, 11:08 PM   #5
Pedal2Floor
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Euro Delivery Fall 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki
I have a bunch of assignments due this week, including that survey I conducted (thanks guys!). The next one that I am doing involves 7 environmental trends that impact the advertising campaign for the Pontiac Solstive GXP. I need to come up with articles from our electronic library database on 7 different topics, but I can only think of a few.

1. Raising oil prices force automotive manufacturers to turn to hybrids, ethanol vehicles, etc.
2. Foreign companies such as Hyundai are threatening US manufacturers with their improved quality
3. New competition from Chinese auto manufacturer Geely will undercut US prices
4. Auto manufacturers are continually globalizing the production process
environmental trends?
Check out this blog (http://www.autobloggreen.com/)

Or, business trends?

How about:

1) Changing demographics; The GXP has no practicality as a daily driver, your either going after the young hip crowd; women with money or Baby Boomers who have money and want a third car.
2) The GXPs engine was done to compete against the VW which makes 200 ponies; more performance oriented demand
3) The direct injection turbo was done so you can have more ponies with a smaller engine a la 335i philosophy
4) While gas prices have gone up, consumers are still want sporty performance cars
5) Price -- at 25,995 it competes against the Miata and S2000
6) A Show Me Car -- The General needs proof it can build great cars, this car can actually compete against a Porsche Boxster -- yikes!

Find the October Car and Driver in the Library or news stand -- ton of commentary about why the GXP.

Also, direct from the mouth of Bob Lutz -- http://fastlane.gmblogs.com/archives...ce_gxp_in.html

Good info and links here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_Solstice

Hope that helps

Good Luck
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2006, 11:15 PM   #6
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

Thanks, by enviornmental trends I am assuming he means in the business environment. Unfortunately I can't use any outside references such as Google or Car & Driver, only the subscriptions from our school. I was on a database called ABI/Inform Complete which seemed relatively helpful, but then it kind of ran dry. I couldn't find anything on demographics for GXP buyers. I will search around some more with those suggestions that you have given though, thanks a lot!

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2006, 12:08 AM   #7
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

they're two diff. companies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
      09-10-2006, 10:34 AM   #8
Pedal2Floor
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Euro Delivery Fall 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki
Thanks, by enviornmental trends I am assuming he means in the business environment. Unfortunately I can't use any outside references such as Google or Car & Driver, only the subscriptions from our school. I was on a database called ABI/Inform Complete which seemed relatively helpful, but then it kind of ran dry. I couldn't find anything on demographics for GXP buyers. I will search around some more with those suggestions that you have given though, thanks a lot!
Ok, I get the rules.

You can still use those outside resources to give you ideas on searches within the database. Also, you can also look for topics on the Mazda Miata, the Honda s2000, Porsche Boxster and the BMW Z3/Z4. These will give you comparative competitive parallel analysis -- meaning, they will all have close to the same marketing problems/segments just at different price points. THe GXP is new and you may come up dry but the other cars have been around for some time and you may be able to find info that parallel that of the GXP. Also, think General Motors, Mazda, Honda, BMW -- how are they different? the same? same for their offerings. Sounds like you will have to creative drawing on other works to draw conclusions on what you are doing.

Anyway, good luck.
Appreciate 0