BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > BMW F20: Problems with electronic power steering

12-08-2023, 11:42 AM   #1
Alessiof20
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw serie 1 f20

BMW F20: Problems with electronic power steering

Hello guys, has anyone ever had problems with electronic power steering?? I have a bmw f20 120d Msport, I recently had to replace the steering box as it was damaged... The steering box I mounted was complete with motor so initially I mounted it with its motor. From there I only had problems because the car didn't recognize the new motor so the power steering light came on and the motor only turned on via the diagnosis, that is, as soon as the ignition was turned off and on again the motor no longer turned on unless again through the diagnosis. The diagnosis showed the error in the EPS coding. The mechanic, therefore, unable to code, presented me with two options: to have the new motor coded in BMW or, alternatively, to reassemble the old motor. We tried to reassemble the old motor and the power steering light disappeared, but the motor grinds on the belt as soon as it comes into operation..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2023, 05:06 PM   #2
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Hello.

So what's your question? I had my steering rack replaced, luckily on a BMW recall, for free . As you should see already, you chose wrong: the car has to be re-programmed for the new steering rack. Now you might need another one and try again. Your mechanic should be responsible for failing to implement the option you chose, of course.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 04:24 AM   #3
mfractal
VAG Survivor
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

isn’t it just a coding issue ?
      02-29-2024, 01:17 PM   #4
DomMuc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

inside the rack is the EPS ECU .. newly installed ECU (EPS-Rack) needs to be coded and programmed to the Car and Cars i-step level
Appreciate 0