BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > F20 LED repair kit for adaptive headlight question

02-17-2015, 12:57 PM   #1
ticamihai2003
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MINI Cooper S, BMW 118d sport

F20 LED repair kit for adaptive headlight question

Hello

I own a f20 118d with adaptive headlights and after a small car accident my right headlight got damaged and then lost when the car was towed to the service.Somehow it got loose from the bolts and on a bumpy road it fell off.

I got a new one with all the electronics inside it and after installing the xenon control unit, I had low and high beam and was ok until i installed the LED modules (part # 63117296905 ) and the driver module for headlight(module for controlling the adaptive beam and vertical angle and so on: part # 63117304062 ). The LEDs (angel eyes, DRL or whatever they are called) do not turn on and also the error regarding the adaptive headlight is still on. The low and high beam do work with or without the LED modules and the adaptive headlight control unit.

Anyone can help me with this? Do I have to go to BMW service and reprogram the headlight? I may have to do this for the adaptive headlights but weren't the LED modules plug and play?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 03:37 PM   #2
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

The problem will be that it is not coded to the main lighting control. You will have to get the modules recoded/paired by your dealer so that they can communicate again.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 11:52 PM   #3
ticamihai2003
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusF20
The problem will be that it is not coded to the main lighting control. You will have to get the modules recoded/paired by your dealer so that they can communicate again.
Is this a thing only a BMW dealer can do ? The BMW dealer is far from where i live but there are other car shops.
Stupid question but i should ask IT just in case . Do The modules need pairing mounted on the headlight or unmounted ?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 11:56 PM   #4
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

I think that you will have to take it to a BMW dealer as I am fairly sure a non authorized mechanic would not have the software codes required.

If it is a long journey I would suggest that you talk to the dealer and then organize a specific time to have it done so you can wait there for it.
It should not take long to do if it is only coding. They may charge you for it as it would not be a warrantee claim.
The only issue will be if the module on your new light is mismatched.
Some time ago I had a intermittent faulty after a software update.
It effected the headlight modules where they would turn off the eyelid light bar over each light randomly.
My dealer finished up replacing both headlight modules and the main lighting module to solve it.

Last edited by AusF20/F48; 02-18-2015 at 12:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 11:57 PM   #5
ticamihai2003
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusF20
I think that you will have to take it to a BMW dealer as I am fairly sure a non authorized mechanic would not have the software codes required.
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 05:29 AM   #6
ticamihai2003
Private First Class
Rep

Can You tell me if re coding is also needed when replacing a parking sensor?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 03:02 PM   #7
ticamihai2003
Private First Class
Rep

OK. I went to BMW for coding the headlight modules but it seems that this operation takes at least 2 hours. They said it can take for more than 3. Because we went there with our 2.5 year old child we could not leave the car and come back with other transportation so this will have to wait a bit but I am curious: does this operation really takes that long or do this particular service have not so good equipment or something like this? They said the main car CPU has to be reprogrammed from scratch basically. Is this really necessary?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 03:38 PM   #8
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticamihai2003 View Post
They said the main car CPU has to be reprogrammed from scratch basically. Is this really necessary?
No, but it is a good idea to update all the software/firmware in the car to the same version, so that is what I understand they do when they connect the car to the computer. If you had some diagnostics equipment at home in the garage (some people do), you could take some shortcuts by only updating the unit you are coding. It would be unprofessional to do so for a BMW dealer.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 03:41 PM   #9
ticamihai2003
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticamihai2003 View Post
They said the main car CPU has to be reprogrammed from scratch basically. Is this really necessary?
No, but it is a good idea to update all the software/firmware in the car to the same version, so that is what I understand they do when they connect the car to the computer. If you had some diagnostics equipment at home in the garage (some people do), you could take some shortcuts by only updating the unit you are coding. It would be unprofessional to do so for a BMW dealer.
Oh, i see. Well i guess IT doesnt hurt to have the system updated(had this done in my mini and some new things were quite nice) but I have to plan this trip for at least a day just for this.

Thanks for the answer
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 06:49 AM   #10
ticamihai2003
Private First Class
Rep

HI again.

I am having some trouble with the front parking sensors. The front right and left sensors are signaling errors so the whole front and rear system doesn't work. The system returns the following error: ""Ultrasonic sensor for PMA, front left side: sensor fault (setting time too short) and for the right side one it says incorrect sensor version.

Is this a Park Assistant control module error or just a sensor error? I checked the 2 sensors and they seem ok and the wiring also seems ok.
Appreciate 0