BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > General Motors partnering with BMW for engines?

10-12-2010, 11:09 AM   #45
TonyMeister
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW...
Location: I'm here I'm there I'm F' everywhere I'm the eggman

With all due respect, but you guys really need to calm the down.

Of course there will not be a LS9 powered M3 or an N55 powered CTS.

Nothing is official, it's just a rumour... yet.

If turns out to be official, it won't be a merger like the disastrous Daimler-Chrysler "merger of equals". Most likely will be an agreement for BMW supply Opel/Vauxhall with 4 cylinder diesel engines and the 1.6 turbo petrol.

As I pointed out in a previous post, which you guys completely ignored it... The Opel/Vauxhall Omega 2.5 TD was powered by a BMW engine, so it wouldn't be the first time that GM looked to BMW for engines.

In fact, it's not the first time that an American car company looked to BMW for engines. Little known fact that might shock you, the Lincoln Mark VII...

... had the option of a 2.4 I-6 turbo diesel engine supplied by BMW.

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 12:31 PM   #46
Frosty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M240i - 2021 - 6MT -

Interesting Tony! All car companys in one way or another have utilized each other in small ways. (reminicing about Toyota selling Chevys in their dealerships at one time in Japan) My lament is that BMW is getting so big that they could, hoepully not, care more about expansion and brand engeneering then quality as we have seen in other German car companies...

I love my E92 and I hope to have hte same passion when 2013 arrives and he new 3-coupe arrives. ~Frost

[QUOTE=TonyMeister;8147245]With all due respect, but you guys really need to calm the down.

Of course there will not be a LS9 powered M3 or an N55 powered CTS.

Nothing is official, it's just a rumour... yet.

If turns out to be official, it won't be a merger like the disastrous Daimler-Chrysler "merger of equals". Most likely will be an agreement for BMW supply Opel/Vauxhall with 4 cylinder diesel engines and the 1.6 turbo petrol.

As I pointed out in a previous post, which you guys completely ignored it... The Opel/Vauxhall Omega 2.5 TD was powered by a BMW engine, so it wouldn't be the first time that GM looked to BMW for engines.

In fact, it's not the first time that an American car company looked to BMW for engines. Little known fact that might shock you, the Lincoln Mark VII...

... had the option of a 2.4 I-6 turbo diesel engine supplied by BMW.
Prelude (5MT) (1995)
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 05:05 PM   #47
JL330i_UT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABSAUTOBODY View Post
damn i guess i gotta move onto benz...
Yes, because a Chrysler/ Nissan alliance is a much better thing.
/sarcasm
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 06:38 PM   #48
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

i figure it's all down to one thing. GM has a lot of history with electric cars. BMW is working hard on it's electric cars, but has yet to release any. If anyone doesn't know what i'm talking about, do some research on the GM EV1

was a really good electric car, but GM pulled the plug, and there's lots of conspiracy, but just think, 10+ years more development since that time, BMW would like this info.

And lets be honest, there's a lot of money to be made through platform sharing and such, just look at the Porsche Cayenne, it's now 3 different vehicles that i know of.

It wouldn't hurt BMW to take some lessons from the different ways Porsche has pimped itself out over the years.

The more money BMW makes, the more technological advancements we receive in the future.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 08:58 PM   #49
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmeloche View Post
BMW may also be interested in an engine production plant in the U.S. With the U.S. dollar kept low by the U.S. government it's getting extremely difficult for BMW to keep car prices low in North America, their biggest market for many models. The solution would be to build more and more models in the U.S, or at least major components. Their wildly popular X3, X5, and X6 is very profitable to them because they are built in South Carolina at U.S. costs and then sold at European prices but they still have a lot of non-U.S. components namely engines and drivetrain. Now if they could make engines in the U.S. and start a production plant for the 3 Series in the U.S. also that would be awesome for them.
And awesome for the US economy too.
It would great if BMW started building more of their cars here, and even better if the major components like the engine, and higher end automatics and DCT's, and MT's were sourced/built by US companies.

It brings more dollars into the US economy. US employees would be spending their income in the US, there would be additional tax revenues from income and products bought, as well as additional tax dollars from BMW. Sure, BMW would be getting a big chunk of profit, but there would be more money brought into the US, and that's always a good thing for us.

If that happens then buying a BMW would be, buying American.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 09:04 PM   #50
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
And awesome for the US economy too.
It would great if BMW started building more of their cars here, and even better if the major components like the engine, and higher end automatics and DCT's, and MT's were sourced/built by US companies.

It brings more dollars into the US economy. US employees would be spending their income in the US, there would be additional tax revenues from income and products bought, as well as additional tax dollars from BMW. Sure, BMW would be getting a big chunk of profit, but there would be more money brought into the US, and that's always a good thing for us.

If that happens then buying a BMW would be, buying American.
I thought about putting one of those bumper stickers "out of a job yet? keep buying forign" on my BMW when i bought it, but this will take it to a whole new level
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 02:53 PM   #51
bimmermama
Rep
Drives: 128i

no way

No way this is happening! This would trash the image!
Appreciate 0