BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Any views on this...?

10-05-2010, 02:19 PM   #1
DNA_42
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 520d

Any views on this...?

I live in the UK and in June I placed an order for a 520d, with expectation of an August build. I learned from this site (many thanks!!) about the Combox upgrade and I was dismayed to see that my build was 2 weeks BEFORE the upgrade.

Now like everybody I listen to a lot of music, audio books, podcasts etc in the car and because of my job I do a lot of long journeys - so my iPod is important to me and I am really impressed with the post-Combox/Prof Media interface.

I managed to get the build pushed back to post-Combox September, and so I am very happy. The car has been built and is in the UK and I am scheduled to pick it up on Sat 16th Oct.

So far so good.

This morning I get a call from the dealer saying there has been a mistake and my car was built without a USP interface, and this will (1) severely limit iPod access, visibility and control (2) rule out future software and phone driver upgrades and (3) will mean that iPhone will not work as well and with full functionality and (4) reduce resale value - I added this one.

They say the USB interface is not retrofittable (yet), cannot guarantee it ever will be, and even if it was they'd have to pull my brand new car apart and put it back together again (which worries me - a lot).

This is their error, I have a copy of the invoice showing USB, why should I lose this benefit having paid £32k and waited 5 months....?

What are my options?

Any thoughts?

DNA_42
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 02:26 PM   #2
dday
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 335 M-Sport

If they made the error I'd make them order you another one or see if any other dealers near you have what you want.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 02:30 PM   #3
HISI808
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 128i M-Sport

You can refuse delivery if they don't build it to the specs on the build sheet.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 02:35 PM   #4
bunnn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: like a grandma

If it wasn't something important you probably could let it slide. However, this ipod integration seems to mean a great deal to your daily routine, so I say don't sign for the car. On a more positive note - many dealers suggested the updated Idrive was not retrofittable onto newer cars, but many vendors have proven otherwise.
      10-05-2010, 02:45 PM   #5
DNA_42
Private
Rep

.....what to do....

I am considering refusing delivery, good to know I can though, but having waited so long perhaps I am being trivial... No other dealers have any 520d's, demand is very strong.

If they order a new one I will have to wait until next year and guess what, VAT (local tax) goes from 17.5% to 20% from Jan 1st.... £700, which I would have to pay...

I think they will say that retrofitting will be available in, say, a month, just to get me to take the car and then who knows.... plus I am really worried about them pulling the insides apart... anyone know where the cable will run to from the USB socket in the arm rest...

Am also quite worried about resale value with no USB interconnect... I wouldn't buy it secondhand without the full connectivity...

Bugger!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 03:13 PM   #6
HISI808
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 128i M-Sport

If you decide to take delivery, I would use the fact that it was not built to your specs as leverage and try and talk down the price.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 03:20 PM   #7
dday
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 335 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA_42 View Post
I am considering refusing delivery, good to know I can though, but having waited so long perhaps I am being trivial... No other dealers have any 520d's, demand is very strong.

If they order a new one I will have to wait until next year and guess what, VAT (local tax) goes from 17.5% to 20% from Jan 1st.... £700, which I would have to pay...

I think they will say that retrofitting will be available in, say, a month, just to get me to take the car and then who knows.... plus I am really worried about them pulling the insides apart... anyone know where the cable will run to from the USB socket in the arm rest...

Am also quite worried about resale value with no USB interconnect... I wouldn't buy it secondhand without the full connectivity...

Bugger!
why would you have to wait until next year? I've heard of lots of people getting their cars in 6 weeks and in general a max of 8 you could easily get your car before December.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 03:55 PM   #8
teezee
Freude am Fahren
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4, E46 325iT

Can you wait?

I have no skin in the game so my opinion would be to wait for the car you wanted in the first place. You've detailed why the USB interface is important, but only you can determine if the your ownership lifetime use of the USB interface gives £700 worth of utility.

Is it worth 38 pence a day (using the car every day for 5 years)? Then wait and get the exact car you wanted or you could be kicking yourself every day you drive your not-so-ultimate driving machine?

In either case- you should ask for something from the dealer who bodged up your order- you may not get a price reduction but shop the accessories catalog and ask for a throw-in.

If the car is coming to them and they have to carry the car a while before it might sell (you didn't detail the rest of your build), the sales person may be VERY motivated to get you to take that car at a discount.

If it was me, I would not take any salesperson's word that any electrical components of the car are retro-fittable without official word from BMW that it is possible, despite what they tell you. Ask for it in writing if they insist they can do it. See where that gets you

Good luck!

2011 E89 Z4 M Sport (Euro Delivery, Performance Center redelivery), Extended Nappa leather, Eisenmann Sport Exhaust
2003 E46 325i Touring
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 06:04 PM   #9
DNA_42
Private
Rep

A December delivery might be possible but the problem is that the dealers have an allocation of cars and when that goes for one month the next order rolls into the following month... or so I am told. I did speak to another dealer and he said it might be possible to get a car for December, but if there is a delay I end up paying £700 more... the VAT point is when the car is registered and delivered, not paid for (apparently). A lot of people in the UK are rushing to get in ahead of the rises.

I take the point about not trusting the dealers word. They seem nice enough but they are salesmen...

The additional functionality os NOT worth £1,000 of my hard earned... £700 VAT nad the cost of the USB itself....

...I think this is 100% the dealer's problem and he will have to pay up... or refund me... If he refunds me I am back to square one... VAT nad probably a price rise and another long wait...

I'll see what happens by the weekend, that is when they said they'll come back... Part of me wants to take the cash back and buy another Merc.... whoooops, sorry....
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 09:24 AM   #10
MorbidFreak
Registered
Rep
Drives: Jeep

They should take responsibility for it!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 02:45 PM   #11
DNA_42
Private
Rep

Resolved.

We managed to resolve this problem by me getting a promise, in writing, that once the retro-kit is available the dealer fits this at their cost. In the meantime I can utilise the HDD and in a month or so (I hope) I will be back to spec. I save the cost of the USB (only modest), which compensates me for the aggro.

Thanks for all your comments, you helped.
DNA
Appreciate 0