BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Short Track Day Experiences

09-24-2013, 08:56 AM   #1
westphone
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M135i MT

Short Track Day Experiences

I come with lessons learned and question, so please bear with me.

I have a talent of hitting things and going too fast in places where I shouldn't, so I just took it slow. There are lots of advises on the web, and they are all very good, but I find two things that is most important for me as a beginner.

1. Keep one's head up and look as far down as possible or towards the next corner. I don't know I guess the brain adjust the inputs preparing for what's coming. If one finds he/she needs to make adjustments too close to the corners, it is usually too late. You can actually sometimes pick up the driver in front of you trying to make adjustments too late, and maybe it's time to size him/her up

2. Exercise. After couple laps people who do not exercise on a regular basis slow down because they would lose concentration. Cycling, running, something. In addition karting helps a lot because things happen so fast in a speed more friendly.

My question is:
I was riding along with one person with a 911 Carrera, going into the corner and sometimes mid corner he would brush the brake. I was guessing the 911 has got too much weight in the back so he goes in with understeer, but I don't know why he does it mid corner. Just wondering why apply the brake mid corner. Do we need to do that for our F20 I wonder or if any benefits may be gained?

Thanks in advance~
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 09:49 AM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Looking ahead is indeed very important. Also if something happens in front you, like a car spinning out, don't look directly at the car. Look for possibilities to avoid it. The car will generally follow your vision.

Feathering the brakes in a corner is a way to avoid understeer, and is used when you feel you are slightly too wide off the ideal line. It gets the nose of the car pointed in where it is supposed to go. It works for almost all cars, but it should not be a habit. If you enter the corner right, it is not necessary. It is however very common in double apex corners, where you power out of the first apex and brake a little to set the car up for the second apex.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 10:45 AM   #3
westphone
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M135i MT

thanks ovekvam
Appreciate 0