BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Why do so many call a BMW a "Beemer" vs a "Bimmer"?

05-11-2009, 01:25 PM   #67
ChrisV
7er
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1998 BMW 740iL

Garage List
1998 740iL  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_mega View Post
we are talking about SPELLING people say it and spell it bimmer vs beamer

a light switch has nothing to do with the spelling of the slang we use for bmw, nobody spells it swatch do they?
Yes, it does. it's spelled that way because that's the way it was said. Saying it the same would not accomplish the concept of separating the two terms out as slang (considering slang starts as spoken, then gets spelled to indicate how it's said) when people are talking about them.

Quote:
Personally I call them beamers, and will continue to do it, and FWIW I am NOT on bimmerpost I am on 1addicts, at least that's what it says in my address bar
Notice that you are in the "Bimmerpost Universal Forums" section, regardless of what initial subset you came in on. Bimmerpost is the umbrella that each subsection is under (notice the little emblem at the upper left hand corner). I'd have thought you were smart enough to figure that out and not argue about it. But that fact that you are on 1addicts says it all.

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 01:27 PM   #68
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV View Post
Yes, it does. it's spelled that way because that's the way it was said.
notice, that those of us that say beamer spell it that way too

Quote:
Notice that you are in the "Bimmerpost Universal Forums" section,
this is the link I'm on

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...=255788&page=4

Quote:
I'd have thought you were smart enough to figure that out and not argue about it. But that fact that you are on 1addicts says it all.
this would be why I hate the merger, thank you for reminding me why, 1addicts was so much better before the merger
Appreciate 0