BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Good Taste Advice Needed - Newbie Here - First Post

12-19-2015, 04:04 PM   #1
jonheres
Rep
Drives: 120i f20 m sport

Good Taste Advice Needed - Newbie Here - First Post

Hi guys,

First of all, this is my first post. Been reading for quite a while, and now i think im ready to start posting and joining the conversation.

Im Jon, im 38 yrs old and im from Panama, Central America.

I Have a 2015 x3 sDrive Premium Package. All Black, and 2 weeks ago i was visiting my dealer and i saw the new one series m sport (120i) lci and i asked for a test drive, and well ... i was instantly hooked.

I mean, i had no previous experience with any sports car and this one felt so much fun to drive .. so the saleswoman offered me the following deal:

120i - m sport package (with 17 inch rims with run flats) - alcantara interior, m sport steering, automatic 8 speed, black saphire, sport suspension (non adaptive) , Leds all over, rearview camera, etc.. for USD31,500 (a discount since is the second car i buy this year).

I bought it.

Now, i was forced to buy it in black (for the discount), and after some days surfing around i have found out it is not the most popular color so its really hard to find inspiration to do some touch ups and make it look unique.

I saw the white version with black racing stripes and different rims

I think it looks amazing .. i was wondering if i could do the inverted version ... meaninig the black with white stripes .. something like this ... (I apologize for my lame photoshop skills.. also this is a pre-lci .. just for demostration)

What do you think about it ?

Do you think it could look good with "MATE" black plastidip stripes o rather go with the OEM white m performance vinyls (or black vinyls anyway) ?

Also i have no idea what RIMS are the black (Picture Above) car sitting on .. but the ones they sold me the car with look like old ladys rims .. 383 M

So im open to more ideas. As i said i have already the x3 whick looks crazy "decent-normal" and i will like to have my new 120i look "fun" and kind of unique but also with good taste ...

Thanks for taking the time to read this and please feel free to join and give any advice you want!

cheers! Jon!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2015, 09:48 PM   #2
Ben_M135i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 M135i

I would go vinyl wrap the whole car to the paint job you want. Plastic dip is a little cheap and if it starts to peel it looks rubbish. If you vinyl wrap the whole car from black to white with a black stripe, the paint beneath will be in top condition when you sell the car because it will have never seen sunlight, rain, dirt etc and the vinyl will take the abuse.
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2015, 09:51 PM   #3
jonheres
Rep

Hi Ben ... Thanks for the advice.. will look around for shops that do that kind of work..

Heres is another (rather mediocre photoshop) view of black with white stripe ...

perhaps adding the little m stripes to the grill will also give a nice touch ?

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2015, 01:19 AM   #4
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

Speaking for myself

Personally I don't like those stripes at all. Makes the car appear 'boy-racer', like your trying really hard to impress. M performance exhaust, maybe some nice wheels and an alcantara steering wheel.....keep it tasteful
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2015, 02:21 AM   #5
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

The best looking stripe is the one on the sill, but it doesn't work on a black car. The rims you have in your picture are the 405 style.
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2015, 03:11 AM   #6
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Tuned exhaust

When I hear those exaggerated sounds I always wonder if it's the car or just the driver "trying really hard to impress". That's so annoying.

M Performance exhaust is not about loudness, AFAIK, which is good , but to me it sounds a kind of faulty ("the crackle"): Quick clip of the MPP exhaust. As if it's just going to spit out bolts and nuts.

I see no point in the stripes either, but my taste does not qualify as I do like the 383 M rims.
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2015, 05:22 AM   #7
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Not fused on the skunk look
Keep it Black, add Carbon fibre front lip spoiler, Mirror caps, and a rear diffuser to give it the lift you are looking on the outside and other CF interior trim.
The M Performance CF looks great.
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2015, 05:39 AM   #8
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

According to my rather odd taste, the only thing that can save the looks of a black one series, is a set of rather big, shiny wheels. Example from AC Schnitzer:
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2015, 11:36 AM   #9
jonheres
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
Personally I don't like those stripes at all. Makes the car appear 'boy-racer', like your trying really hard to impress. M performance exhaust, maybe some nice wheels and an alcantara steering wheel.....keep it tasteful
Hi! I understand your point. As i said before i also have a 2015 black saphire x3 sdrive .. black leather interior ... it look really tastefull .. im just trying to figure out how to make this little black guy (120i) fun to look at overall ... Is the M performance exhaust really noisy?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2015, 11:39 AM   #10
jonheres
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
The best looking stripe is the one on the sill, but it doesn't work on a black car. The rims you have in your picture are the 405 style.
Thanks! The site (bwm) says the fit the f20 .. but my dealer insists i should not go for 19" with this car ... he tells me the best bet is 18" so i wont have any "rubbing" problems.

Do you think he is right ?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2015, 11:41 AM   #11
jonheres
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusF20/F48 View Post
Not fused on the skunk look
Keep it Black, add Carbon fibre front lip spoiler, Mirror caps, and a rear diffuser to give it the lift you are looking on the outside and other CF interior trim.
The M Performance CF looks great.
OMG... its so funny .. i didnt looked at it that way .. and now when you said it (skunk look) i cannot stop thinking about that ! jaja.. Im looking for front lips for the lci model. the only one i have found so far is from AC-Sch .. which looks like a split model (only sticking out from the sides under the fog lights) .. Coulndt find the price or if they ship to panama.

Thanks for commenting! =)
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2015, 11:49 AM   #12
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonheres View Post
Thanks! The site (bwm) says the fit the f20 .. but my dealer insists i should not go for 19" with this car ... he tells me the best bet is 18" so i wont have any "rubbing" problems.

Do you think he is right ?
No. BMW would not offer it if it didn't fit properly. 19" wheels have lower profile tyres than 18", so that overall size is not larger.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2015, 12:16 PM   #13
jonheres
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
No. BMW would not offer it if it didn't fit properly. 19" wheels have lower profile tyres than 18", so that overall size is not larger.
I see. So the main difference will be on the looks and the ride quality .. it will be more bumpy with te 19"s ... we do have shitty roads here but the overall look is so much better than the 18"s .
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 05:14 AM   #14
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
Is the M performance exhaust really noisy?
db rating for M Perfromance silencer for m135i
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 02:27 AM   #15
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
I have a thread looking for advice on what should i do for my car to look "special" .. i received it with 17" 383m rims .. m sport package .. so im open for suggestions .. please feel free to jump in and comment ! =)
Well, if you insist. Black should be a nice background for painting. To make the car look very "special" you could get something painted on it. On the bonnet, for instance. Something like this could look nice on black, perhaps:

Although this could be better still, of course :

Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 07:18 AM   #16
jonheres
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
Well, if you insist. Black should be a nice background for painting. To make the car look very "special" you could get something painted on it. On the bonnet, for instance. Something like this could look nice on black, perhaps:

Although this could be better still, of course :

First one two much of a sailor design. Second one will be better for the interior of the car
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 10:14 PM   #17
jonheres
Rep

On Monday im doing a black mate racing stripe from the right kidney grill all the way back to the rear bumper. Also will be covering the rear diffuser with carbon fiber (dark) vinyl from 3m ... Still looking for some good 18" black OEM rims ..

As for now, im really liking the all black look on my small beemer .. =)

Here an hdr high contrast shot from my cell phone this afternoon (summer here... great weather)

Appreciate 0