BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Alloy Wheel Cleaner

04-19-2013, 09:11 AM   #1
BenN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d MSport Plus

Alloy Wheel Cleaner

I purchased some AutoGlym Clean Wheels for cleaning the winter wheels after i remove them this weekend, however after speaking to BMW to see if the stock alloys come under the approved usage category (lacquered, painted or plastic trimmed alloys) I was told not to use any of the acid based cleaners (which this one is). Apparently, any scratches or cracks in the lacquer can allow the cleaner to penetrate down to the Alloy, which can cause the alloy to start degrading, it then goes white and would need restoration. With this in mind, I'm tempted to hold off and use soap and water for now, like i have done for years. Ive always been dubious about these cleaners as i've heard mixed reviews...

What are your thoughts on Alloy Wheel Cleaner?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 09:22 AM   #2
alexmcred
Private
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 318d GT M Sport

I use Bilberry wheel cleaner made by Valet Pro on mine and find it very good and it doesn't have any of the harsh acids in it.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 09:44 AM   #3
ripkord
First time owner
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F46 Gran Tourer, C220 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmcred View Post
I use Bilberry wheel cleaner made by Valet Pro on mine and find it very good and it doesn't have any of the harsh acids in it.
this.
      04-19-2013, 12:27 PM   #4
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

I used BMW's own alloy wheel clearer and while a bit expensive for what it is, I've never used anything that works as well. You know the angles between the rim and spokes that always fills with little black spots of brake dust and feels rough? Spray it with this stuff, leave it for 5 minutes, agitate a little and rinse off and the wheel is spotless. Even the inside of the wheel, which gets caked comes clean after 5 minutes
Appreciate 0