BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > At what point does money become irrelevant?

05-26-2015, 01:01 PM   #45
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetsFan View Post
Others have mentioned this already, but it really is all relative. I remember reading an article that asked different people how much they needed to make a year in order to be rich. These aren't the exact numbers, but basically people making $15K said about $50K, the people making $50K said $120K, and the people making $120K said $500K.

If I had enough money to afford a house like this, I would consider myself rich.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/14...56036512_zpid/
Move that house to FL or Texas and you'll probably be able to get 3 of them for that price.
      05-26-2015, 03:32 PM   #46
MiddleAgedAl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
I thought, well, we'll just really kick up the landscaping, put in a dock with a dock house and call it a day. Maybe expand our current screened in patio area with some pavers. Well, i'd like to add a room for a gym. And i know i'll have another car or two so i'll need to expand my garage from 4 spaces to 6. I'll likely have lots of cash on hand so i'll upgrade my current safe to a mac-daddy model. Well, actually, maybe i'll turn our master closet into a vault room instead of just having my gun safe in there. OR.... maybe i'll add a gun room and make that the vault room. yeah, i'll do that. Ooh... i'll build a rifle range down the side of my house. With the length of the property being 350 in depth, i can easily make a 100yd rifle range. Well, it kind of sucks to just shoot in an indoor range all the time. Maybe i'll buy a larger piece of property a little north of my house and make that my outdoor action shooting range. It's so hot here for most of the year though.... Maybe it'll be better to get a multi-thousand acre property. That way i can build an indoor range, have an outdoor range, and plenty of space to hunt as well. Still have to deal with that FL heat. I think i should just buy a ranch in Montana or Colorado. Plenty of space for shooting sports, hunting, new house designed they way i want it. Wide open roads better for driving the fleet of sweet cars, build a big ass pool that looks like it's a natural lake. yeah, that's what i'll do. Wonder how much all that would cost. googlegooglegoogle.... Hmm, looks like $50 to $100 million should cover it.

I'd like to think i'll just be content sleeping on a pile of cash in my 3 bedroom house, but i doubt it will end up that way if i had billions to burn.

And once you do all that, you'll soon tire of flying commercial between your ranch in Colorado and your compound in Fl, and all the new friends will tell you about the joys of their Gulfstream, so 50 to 100 million becomes the new floor, not the ceiling. And then once you start hanging out with guys who have jets in the private terminal, your place in Fl will start to seem lame without an adjacent runway, and ......

.... and then you realize there's always a bigger fish, and the money never becomes irrelevant.
      05-26-2015, 03:42 PM   #47
PopsnBurbles
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135is :) 192/586

Garage List
Money would be irrelevant to me when I can afford seven dream cars of mine, can daily drive all of them, maintain them, and replace them if necessary. This is regardless of production numbers, price, and location.

If I want a TVR Speed 12, I'll get it as my Monday car.
If I want a Ferrari F40, it'll be my Sunday car to collect groceries.
If I feel like bullying people on the streets on a Friday, I can pull out my Koenigsegg One:1.
If I need to take people out with me, a Maybach or a Rolls Royce would be enough (not that I'd get either of those two cars).
and so on...

On top of that, I'd have a house up on top of some mountain in Beverly Hills or near Malibu to accommodate those cars. It'll be a tiny house but I'll have a whole room dedicated for a closet, another room for my hobbies and stuff, combine 2 bedrooms for my bedroom, and a guest room.

Of course, I wouldn't have to work thereafter.

With all that said, money becomes irrelevant the moment you achieve total contentment. Anything past that is simply greed. That's how I see it, at the very least.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 03:46 PM   #48
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

I don't get the supercar hard on TBH, just buy a decent open wheel car and hit the track, a gazillion times more fun and there's nothing like a purpose built race car.

Something like an Audi RS6 wagon with 500HP but room for three child seats is more appealing to me
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 04:35 PM   #49
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I don't get the supercar hard on TBH, just buy a decent open wheel car and hit the track, a gazillion times more fun and there's nothing like a purpose built race car.

Something like an Audi RS6 wagon with 500HP but room for three child seats is more appealing to me
I dunno about an Audi wagon, but I would definitely rather have MORE cars than one pricey exotic. I mean if you could have the hottest chick you ever met for one night, or 3-4 nice looking chicks.... I know what I would pick.

Last edited by dreamingat30fps; 05-26-2015 at 08:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 05:22 PM   #50
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgedAl View Post
And once you do all that, you'll soon tire of flying commercial between your ranch in Colorado and your compound in Fl, and all the new friends will tell you about the joys of their Gulfstream, so 50 to 100 million becomes the new floor, not the ceiling. And then once you start hanging out with guys who have jets in the private terminal, your place in Fl will start to seem lame without an adjacent runway, and ......

.... and then you realize there's always a bigger fish, and the money never becomes irrelevant.
I agree. I'm content with my financial position in life right now. I believe i could be content with much less, but i do believe that i would have to move to a new local to start that new minimalist life. Some where exotic, tropical, mountainous, etc.... if i'm gonna ride a bike to work, i want my commute to be filled with wonderful views. As it sits now, the views are mediocre at best, but we can afford to hit those beautiful locals a few times a year for vacation.

Also, i think that it's be mentioned above already, but i firmly believe that if your goal is to make as much money as possible, there will never be enough of it.
      05-26-2015, 10:31 PM   #51
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Quote:
if your goal is to make as much money as possible, there will never be enough of it.
lack of money can be a problem, not having MORE money is not allowed (sanely) to be a problem.. because then you're just using it as a substitute for another REAL problem that you're not fessing up to
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 12:01 AM   #52
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Hyundai Nissan

Yeah, it's going to be non-stop for sure.
Matching 458 Speciale to a rich GT3 owner.
Matching it to better helicopter, Jet
Matching awesome M&A with bigger M&A.

It will be on going.

If I want to set my FIRST ceiling is, if I don't have to worry about the bill and buy a house, car, toys, etc without worrying about bills and retirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgedAl View Post

05-27-2015, 07:12 AM   #53
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

Quote:
I didn't mean that as a real question. Totally agree with your post.

That's the thing. Until you have that incomprehensible amount of money, you won't know what you'll do with it. And continuing to live in a reasonable house may become tiresome when you have the means to do what ever you want with it.

This is kind of funny, to me at least. One of my lottery fantasy moments happened and like you i thought that i'd just continue to live in the house we have now. It's on 2 acres, on a ski lake, with LOTS of trees. This was how the conversation with myself went in my head....

I thought, well, we'll just really kick up the landscaping, put in a dock with a dock house and call it a day. Maybe expand our current screened in patio area with some pavers. Well, i'd like to add a room for a gym. And i know i'll have another car or two so i'll need to expand my garage from 4 spaces to 6. I'll likely have lots of cash on hand so i'll upgrade my current safe to a mac-daddy model. Well, actually, maybe i'll turn our master closet into a vault room instead of just having my gun safe in there. OR.... maybe i'll add a gun room and make that the vault room. yeah, i'll do that. Ooh... i'll build a rifle range down the side of my house. With the length of the property being 350 in depth, i can easily make a 100yd rifle range. Well, it kind of sucks to just shoot in an indoor range all the time. Maybe i'll buy a larger piece of property a little north of my house and make that my outdoor action shooting range. It's so hot here for most of the year though.... Maybe it'll be better to get a multi-thousand acre property. That way i can build an indoor range, have an outdoor range, and plenty of space to hunt as well. Still have to deal with that FL heat. I think i should just buy a ranch in Montana or Colorado. Plenty of space for shooting sports, hunting, new house designed they way i want it. Wide open roads better for driving the fleet of sweet cars, build a big ass pool that looks like it's a natural lake. yeah, that's what i'll do. Wonder how much all that would cost. googlegooglegoogle.... Hmm, looks like $50 to $100 million should cover it.

I'd like to think i'll just be content sleeping on a pile of cash in my 3 bedroom house, but i doubt it will end up that way if i had billions to burn.
LOL, I get what you're saying. I like to think I would just have a massive garage filled with cars and and a tiny house on a plot of land, but like you said, when the money is there, it probably just starts begging to be spent on shit I'd never typically buy.

I wonder how sleeping on a pile of cash compares to my tempur pedic..., need to keep playing the mega millions..., I'll get it one day.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 10:09 PM   #54
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Be happy with what you have today for tomorrow it could all be gone!
Appreciate 3
      05-27-2015, 11:41 PM   #55
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billup View Post
LOL, I get what you're saying. I like to think I would just have a massive garage filled with cars and and a tiny house on a plot of land, but like you said, when the money is there, it probably just starts begging to be spent on shit I'd never typically buy.

I wonder how sleeping on a pile of cash compares to my tempur pedic..., need to keep playing the mega millions..., I'll get it one day.
Tempurpedic IS a pile of cash! haha
      05-27-2015, 11:55 PM   #56
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Hyundai Nissan

I LOVE playing mega millions. It helps me make an awesome daydream and dreams (sometimes).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billup View Post

05-28-2015, 10:02 AM   #57
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

I can day dream all day long about ridiculous lottery money. I also can daydream about "my number" ('cause everybody has one)...but after watching The Gambler, it really confirms what I would consider "enough". John Goodman's character nailed it with his version of "'fuck you' money" right down to the dollar and what you do with it. I could be totally happy with that stated setup.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 03:14 PM   #58
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

What's money? A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and goes to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do. — Bob Dylan
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 03:23 PM   #59
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
What's money? A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and goes to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do. — Bob Dylan
Easy for Dylan to say. He's made no small amount of money in his time.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 04:03 PM   #60
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
So Bob Dylan thinks I should become a whore? Time to hit up Careerbuilder!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 04:06 PM   #61
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Dylan's net worth: $180 million
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 04:06 PM   #62
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

Quote:
LOL, I was thinking the exact same thing.

Some quotes from people who "have" money, crack me up.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 04:11 PM   #63
JeM9
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: R.I.P. 11 328i AT

It really depends on the person. For me, the time came just as I had a few thousands of dollars in my bank account with no bills to pay. At that moment, I felt money was irrelevant.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 04:22 PM   #64
NemesisX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeM9 View Post
It really depends on the person. For me, the time came just as I had a few thousands of dollars in my bank account with no bills to pay. At that moment, I felt money was irrelevant.
There will always be bills to pay. If nothing else, retirement should always be looming in the back of your mind. Probably 90%+ of people (certainly Americans) have nowhere near enough in retirement to sustain even a modest middle class lifestyle.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 04:30 PM   #65
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
There will always be bills to pay. If nothing else, retirement should always be looming in the back of your mind. Probably 90%+ of people (certainly Americans) have nowhere near enough in retirement to sustain even a modest middle class lifestyle.
*If* the market doesn't crash heavily again, Wifey and I should be ok for retirement. We've been maxing out our 403b accounts for years and those will be supplemental to whatever pensions we still have when we retire. Still keeps me awake at night sometimes.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 04:43 PM   #66
NemesisX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
*If* the market doesn't crash heavily again, Wifey and I should be ok for retirement. We've been maxing out our 403b accounts for years and those will be supplemental to whatever pensions we still have when we retire. Still keeps me awake at night sometimes.
Hell it worries me also, and I'm a good 45 years from retirement. If you're semi-close to retirement it's probably an extremely stressful situation right now. We're at virtual all time highs with all the major indices and the last 3 major stock market crashes have occurred in approximate ~7-8 year intervals.
Appreciate 0