BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Used E46, Good Commuter card

03-22-2015, 08:00 PM   #1
GTGuy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M440i GC

Garage List
Used E46, Good Commuter card

I recently purchased a new M235i (actually still waiting to get it, took delivery via ED and waiting for redelivery) and am now debating getting a beater commuter car for days when we have bad weather (Alabama gets some nasty hail and thunderstorms) or for when I go out and don't feel like taking the nicer car. I've never had a beater car until recently when my buddy loaned me his '99 Maxima as a temp car to bridge the gap between when I sold my previous car and when I receive the M235i. There are days when I like driving the Maxima - it's beat up, I don't care what happens to it, comfy seats. I offered to buy it from my friend, but he wants it back. I'm not familiar with the E46 3 series, but have had two E90's. I'm trying to keep my price range to below $6000 and have no problems getting a higher mileage car so long as I can get 5+ years of use out of the car. I'd really like an E46 wagon as I road bike and it would be convenient to throw in my bike versus having to put a rack on the car. Question for the forum: is it work buying an older E46 with 150-200k miles on it, paying for repairs as needed? Or should I just go for a used Japanese car? I'm wary of BMW reliability as they age, but at the same time I like driving BMW's and wouldn't mind some occasional maintenance so long as the car is reliable and will serve as a good backup car a few days a week. I'm a total noob when it comes to older cars, let alone older BMW's (always bought new or lightly used ons in the past), so any guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciated
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 11:30 PM   #2
AnujS2K
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 ED 08/12

I personally would daily the M235i in good and bad weather alike but that isn't the answer you're looking for.

Maybe a Subaru forester or the like to haul your bike and double duty as bad weather car?
Appreciate 0