BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Retrofit M-sport steering wheel.

08-11-2012, 09:33 AM   #1
Mjlbakker
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 G21 318i (in order) - 20

Retrofit M-sport steering wheel.

Just bought an M-sport steeringwheel for my F20 of E-bay.

Currently my beemer is equipped with the optional sport steeringwheel but still find it too thin. The M-sport is much thicker. My previous E87 had one and I really miss the thickness.

I saw a clip on youtube that show the replacement of a steering wheel (looks too easy?)

Has anyone done this operation yet? Does it need re-programming of the airbag by the dealer?

Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 02:31 PM   #2
iBeech
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D F11 2015

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjlbakker
Just bought an M-sport steeringwheel for my F20 of E-bay.

Currently my beemer is equipped with the optional sport steeringwheel but still find it too thin. The M-sport is much thicker. My previous E87 had one and I really miss the thickness.

I saw a clip on youtube that show the replacement of a steering wheel (looks too easy?)

Has anyone done this operation yet? Does it need re-programming of the airbag by the dealer?

Thanks guys
I did it on my e90- no reprogramming needed. Make sure you disconnect the battery first!!

Best mod I ever did
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 02:08 AM   #3
qwas
Rep
Drives: 116i

Link to the wheel please..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 04:08 AM   #4
Patrick BMW
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Garage List
2016 BMW 430iAM-Sport  [0.00]
2012 125i  [9.00]
perhaps these might help. First a thread in this forum, second/third, the BMW web pages:
http://f20.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=722892

http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/owner/acc...roduct=cockpit
http://www.bmw.co.uk/specials/E82M/c...ringwheel.html
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 10:02 AM   #5
airblade550
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 118D Auto Mineral Grey

I too had a "retrofit" M type wheel fitted to my E87 and the increased thickness was indeed preferable... HOWEVER, whilst i'm not sure about the E87, the M wheel on the F20 is smaller than the Std and the Sports options fitted to the SE, Sport and Urban F20 models... SO, bearing in mind that most/all of the M wheels being sold as upgrade retrofits to the F20, whilst you will experience the thicker rim, the wheel will actually be larger in circumferance/diameter than the orig so the "sport" feeling will be diminished
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 07:38 PM   #6
larryzhou
Private
Rep
Drives: 120i mt

it's a pain in the ass to unclip the new airbag. trust me. .
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 08:58 AM   #7
Mjlbakker
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by airblade550 View Post
I too had a "retrofit" M type wheel fitted to my E87 and the increased thickness was indeed preferable... HOWEVER, whilst i'm not sure about the E87, the M wheel on the F20 is smaller than the Std and the Sports options fitted to the SE, Sport and Urban F20 models... SO, bearing in mind that most/all of the M wheels being sold as upgrade retrofits to the F20, whilst you will experience the thicker rim, the wheel will actually be larger in circumferance/diameter than the orig so the "sport" feeling will be diminished
Is this true? I can hardly believe the M-sport steering wheel is larger in diameter than the optional / sportline steering wheel.

Here is a picture of the wheel that I bought

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I presume that the airbag and finish out of my other steering wheel will fit, we put them next to each other and saw no differences. Will keep you all updated, have the retrofetting planned for Wednesday.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 11:45 AM   #8
airblade550
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 118D Auto Mineral Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjlbakker View Post
Is this true? I can hardly believe the M-sport steering wheel is larger in diameter than the optional / sportline steering wheel.

Here is a picture of the wheel that I bought

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I presume that the airbag and finish out of my other steering wheel will fit, we put them next to each other and saw no differences. Will keep you all updated, have the retrofetting planned for Wednesday.
Apologies, maybe I didnt make myself clear...

Std Steering wheel = 375mm
Leather Steering wheel = 375mm
Sport/Urban Steering wheel = 369mm
M Sport Steering Wheel = 369mm

Assuming you have purchased a, "Re-Covered/Re-Trimmed" wheel rather than a New Genuine "M" Sport wheel from BMW, (Appx £400 here in the UK), it stands to reason that before it was re-covered/re-trimmed, it started out as a Std wheel from an ES, SE or Sport/Urban vehicle...

If it was orig a std or std leather wheel then by adding the xtra padding that the "M" wheel requires, then it will end up being over 375mm when finished.

If it was orig a wheel off a Sport/Urban model, then again, after xtra padding has been added it will be again larger in diameter than a factory supplied "M" Sport wheel...

As the finished size of the Sport/Urban and the factory orig "M" sports wheel are the same at 369mm, the untrimmed metal frame of the wheels MUST be different to be the same when trimmed....

Therefore, ANY other wheel, (other than an orig "M" sport version), will end up larger when re-trimmed due to the xtra padding....
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #9
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

I think it would be difficult to even notice such a small difference in diameter.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 02:05 PM   #10
Mjlbakker
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
I think it would be difficult to even notice such a small difference in diameter.
I bought an original F20 M-pack steering wheel that has a small damage on itban has come back for warrenty.

I am going to swop the wheels tomorrow (sportline now) and will know more than!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 04:00 PM   #11
Mjlbakker
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Victory! Succesfuly retrofitted the M-sport steering wheel. I am a happy man now,

Took us about 1 hour.
Disconnected the battery and therefore no reprogramming needed.
All buttons and finishing are the same as on the sportline version.

Here are some pictures: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7btp6o9cg...eel%20retrofit

Any questions? Let me know!
Appreciate 0