BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW moves up 3 spots in Consumer Reports 2016 new car reliability survey.

10-20-2015, 04:00 PM   #1
DDD31
Captain
Rep
Drives: 24 M3CS, 95 E320, 85 300CD

BMW moves up 3 spots in Consumer Reports 2016 new car reliability survey.

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
http://www.cnbc.com/2015/10/20/lexus...ty-survey.html

The Tesla was so problematic that Consumer Reports no longer recommend them.

Name:  Screen Shot 2015-10-21 at 11.35.53 PM.jpg
Views: 12922
Size:  149.3 KB

Quote:
The push for greater fuel efficiency and connectivity behind the wheel is driving many car owners to complain about their vehicle's reliability.

Consumer Reports' annual report on auto reliability, released Tuesday, also found that Toyota's Lexus once again earned the crown as the most reliable brand, while the Tesla Model S slipped to "worse than average" predicted reliability, due to a growing array of complaints from those who own the electric car.

Tesla shares slipped 9 percent to near $206 following the report.

"We're seeing all types of issues [with the Model S]," said Jake Fisher, director of auto testing at Consumer Reports. "Some are annoying issues like squeaks in the hatch or rattles and squeaks in the sun roof, but we're also seeing major issues in terms of the charging systems. We're even seeing people who have to have the entire electric motor replaced."

Consumer Reports said it had heard from roughly 1,400 Tesla owners for this year's survey.

The drop in predicted reliability comes less than two months after Consumer Reports gave the latest version of the Model S a perfect score of 100 following a series of tests by the publication's auto team.

"This is the first time it's ducked below average on reliability and that's disappointing because this is a car that performs very well," Fisher said. "But we are seeing problems as they increase the volume and produce more of these cars."

In a statement to Consumer Reports, a Tesla spokesperson said, "Close communication with our customers enables Tesla to receive input, proactively address issues, and quickly fix problems. Model S over-the-air software updates allow Tesla to diagnose and fix most bugs without the need to come in for service. In instances when hardware needs to be fixed, we keep the customer's convenience and satisfaction top of mind."

Overall, the annual report on what bothers people about the cars, trucks and SUVs they have bought within the last three years shows two areas in which new vehicles are struggling.

First, consumers are frustrated with new transmissions that are not running smoothly — or in some cases, not at all. Fisher blamed this trend on automakers' rolling out new transmissions with more gears, in an effort to improve fuel efficiency. However, many consumers are finding they now have transmissions that feel uneven, or worse, do not shift gears.

"We're seeing issues where these cars don't shift at all. They actually don't have power and you can't drive the vehicle," Fisher said. "Sometimes they have to replace the transmission on brand new vehicles and that's a problem."

Vehicle owners also cited continued frustration with their in-car connectivity systems.

As for the top brands in Consumer Reports' survey of more than 740,000 vehicles owned by its subscribers, Lexus solidified its rank as the most reliable. Fisher said Toyota's luxury brand has benefited from simplifying its in-car infotainment system, and focusing on improving overall quality.

"They [Lexus] are the conservative automaker," Fisher said. "They're not the ones coming out first with new technology. Instead you see cars that gradually evolve."

Meanwhile, Fiat Chrysler continued to struggle with reliability. The Fiat brand ranked last among the 28 brands listed in the survey, coming in right behind its popular Jeep nameplate.

"They're really struggling to keep their quality, and if they don't do something to turn that around they're gonna turn off customers going forward," Fisher said.

Matt Liddane, vice president of quality at FCA North America, said, "We greatly value customer feedback and use it to continuously improve our vehicles. Because of this fact, we're significantly accelerating our pace of improvement for our entire product lineup."

Above is the complete rankings from Consumer Reports. Because the group only tests one Tesla model, it is not included in the list.

Last edited by DDD31; 10-20-2015 at 04:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 02:58 PM   #2
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDD31 View Post
The Tesla was so problematic that Consumer Reports no longer recommend them.
Ha. Yet, in CR's judgment, it's the highest-rated car it's ever tested.

SUCH baloney. Making up for all that anti-Americanism it's practiced over the years ...

Good to see BMW moving up this chart, however. At least this is a somewhat objective measure.
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2015, 11:18 PM   #3
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post

SUCH baloney.
How is that baloney?

Performance and reliability are two separate standards and they don't necessarily go hand-in-hand. Most Toyotas aren't great performers, but they are quite reliable, which is why they're near the top of the rankings.

Quote:
Making up for all that anti-Americanism it's practiced over the years ...

Good to see BMW moving up this chart, however. At least this is a somewhat objective measure.
More of that Anti-Americanism, huh?
      10-22-2015, 06:19 AM   #4
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

It would be interesting to see what this list looks like at the 8-10 year mark of ownership.
Appreciate 4
      10-22-2015, 08:30 AM   #5
qballis
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 Comp xdrive

Ummm... a ton of forum users here, including me, were stranded with their cars with less than 5k miles on them when the low pressure fuel pump died. I wouldn't necessarily call that reliable.

To be honest, I'm worried about going anywhere past 100 miles away from home with my car.
Appreciate 5
      10-22-2015, 08:43 AM   #6
_thenicoftime
ef ˈθɜrti
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

I see this... yet this is the 4th consecutive day I've taken mine into the shop for the same issue... hmph.
Appreciate 4
      10-22-2015, 09:02 AM   #7
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

Are audis really that reliable? How come such a huge gap between VW and Audi? Seems odd to me
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 3
      10-22-2015, 09:05 AM   #8
DDD31
Captain
Rep
Drives: 24 M3CS, 95 E320, 85 300CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by qballis View Post
Ummm... a ton of forum users here, including me, were stranded with their cars with less than 5k miles on them when the low pressure fuel pump died. I wouldn't necessarily call that reliable.

To be honest, I'm worried about going anywhere past 100 miles away from home with my car.
This chart shows predicted reliability based on more recent reliability data. Does this mean that BMW is now building cars that won't have problems, of course not. Drivers are still having some problems with fuel pumps but the amount of occurrences have seemingly decreased since the introduction of the N55. BMW definitely still has work to do on improving reliability but at least they're trending in the right direction.

And if I was worried about driving my car more than 100 miles away, I would definitely look into a different vehicle, that would be unacceptable.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 09:26 AM   #9
330xtrai
Do you even post BRO?
Palestine
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Garage List
2006 BMW 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by goj
Are audis really that reliable? How come such a huge gap between VW and Audi? Seems odd to me
+1
E90|330xi|SGM|Terra Cotta interior|Forged1 Wheels(one side red the other city lights)|M3 Rep Front Bumper|Msport Rear Bumper|KW V1 Coilovers|K&N Air Filter|OEM Black Grille|Red Cyba Air scoops|DIY Gloss Black Side Splitters|Tee rear splitters|Monkey Air Freshener|
Appreciate 2
      10-22-2015, 09:46 AM   #10
den525
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

VW went up by 4 spots lol
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 09:51 AM   #11
mephiska
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by goj View Post
Likewise the gap between Honda and Acura. Acura dropped 7 spots, makes me wonder if they had one or two models with a major problem.
      10-22-2015, 09:54 AM   #12
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mephiska
Quote:
Likewise the gap between Honda and Acura. Acura dropped 7 spots, makes me wonder if they had one or two models with a major problem.
I guess my thoughts revolve around the successful brands, Acura is struggling to stay relevant.

Audi and VW are very successful as are Lexus and Toyota (in terms of selling cars)

That was my thought process but you do have a good point
BMW CCA Member #516012
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 11:14 AM   #13
mephiska
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Garage List
Quote:
I guess my thoughts revolve around the successful brands, Acura is struggling to stay relevant.

Audi and VW are very successful as are Lexus and Toyota (in terms of selling cars)

I'd just assumed the quality rankings would be independent of brand popularity or sales figures.
      10-22-2015, 11:20 AM   #14
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I'd just assumed the quality rankings would be independent of brand popularity or sales figures.
Yah, it appears to be that way. I figured more sales, more revenue more profit and more money invested back into developing the highest quality product.

Guess it depends on a firms priorities
BMW CCA Member #516012
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 11:49 AM   #15
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw1racer View Post
How is that baloney?

Performance and reliability are two separate standards and they don't necessarily go hand-in-hand. Most Toyotas aren't great performers, but they are quite reliable, which is why they're near the top of the rankings.

More of that Anti-Americanism, huh?
Of course not, since this CR measure has never outwardly shown that editorial bias. Your point about reliability and performance being separate issues is taken ... but in my mind (and, dare I say, most other consumers' minds), reliability is a consideration related to both performance and the ownership experience. Fact is, Teslas have never been consistently reliable enough to be comparable with most other marques in that measure -- that reason alone prevents many from considering one despite its performance attributes and forward-think.

As for the editorial Anti-Americanism: research it. It exists, and always has.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 11:54 AM   #16
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

The parent company of a brand that lied about how efficient they are is 'most reliable'?

LOLOL.
Appreciate 2
      10-22-2015, 12:25 PM   #17
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

I'm guessing Audi cheated here as well
      10-22-2015, 12:25 PM   #18
Brian_R
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 340, 08 H3 Alpha, 04 TSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by goj
Quote:
Quote:

It all depends on how many respondents have that brand and what mix of vehicle models responded. Since CR never posts the survey numbers you never know if only 50 people responded for Acura and 50000 for Audi. Makes a huge difference in accurately sampling for the reliability survey, and in turn the results.
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2015, 12:37 PM   #19
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

About freaken time! Kia and Buick really...

On our 2013 328xi M the only issue we were having was a windshield wiper fluid reservoir malfunctioning sensor. And a moron that could not instal wiper-blades without cracking the dam windshield. BMW needs to redesign how the wiper blades are locked and tucked under the hood. O' and I can't stand how you can't go in reverse with the driver side door open, to help yourself in a parking with a curb situation.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 01:26 PM   #20
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Audi and VW lol? ok
      10-22-2015, 01:38 PM   #21
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 Volvo XC90 R-Design

Acura introduced some new models with stuff that's not on Hondas yet like the 8 speed DCT. Maybe that has something to do with it.

And Infiniti is quite a few places lower than Nissan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mephiska View Post
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 01:54 PM   #22
Nordkeyz73
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i ZSP, Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post

SUCH baloney. Making up for all that anti-Americanism it's practiced over the years ...

ALL OF THIS. I agree 100%. I actually don't even bother glancing at a CR magazine in the doctor's office anymore. The ratings for reliability are often skewed from the get-go as there is bias with who responds to their polls in the first place. The more complex a vehicle becomes the more can and will go wrong. So, if you buy a highly praised simple car, the average consumer will respond positively. The resultant is data for reliability is usually something akin to "we have determined that this blue car, is in fact blue."