BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Noise after shift

12-19-2015, 12:44 PM   #1
ILUSV
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M135i

Noise after shift

Hello everyone

I was driving around with the windows down this morning and noticed a scratching (Metal) type noise after the car shifts (I got the 8 speed auto). I was able to reproduce the noise every time when I up-shift and unable to reproduce the noise when downshifting.

I didn't feel any vibrations or strange feedback from the steering wheel.
Attached Images

Last edited by ILUSV; 12-19-2015 at 12:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 02:43 AM   #2
dishy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M135i

My exhaust has a rattle when the weather is very cold. So it's not doing it anymore as it's summer. I suspect it's the valve in the exhaust not fully closing and so vibrates a little bit.

Does your noise change depending on how hard you're accellerating, or depending on how high the RPM is?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 02:00 PM   #3
ILUSV
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I can't hear any noise at higher speeds, I think the road noise drowns-out the scratching, I will test it under harder acceleration and/or higher RPM.

I have another rattle (similar to yours) on cold starts especially if the car was turned off while in Sport mode, when the car is turned off in Normal mode that rattle is never there on startup.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 10:24 AM   #4
ILUSV
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

dishy, I think you nailed it. I've been experimenting with Normal vs. Sport just like you suggested and the noise appears in Sport mode only. No Noise under Normal mode.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 02:16 AM   #5
ILUSV
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Ok, this is driving me nuts. It's back even in normal setting. I will bring it up during service and report back.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 11:10 PM   #6
dishy
Private First Class
Rep

Would be useful if you could record the noise that you're hearing and post it here.

Is it not the ignition cut when shifting gear? I'm not exactly sure how to describe that process, but when the gearbox shifts quickly (like when hard accelerating) the ignition cuts or rather fires abnormally so the engine RPM can die down and match the gearing. So when you shift it sounds like a brrrp each time.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 07:15 AM   #7
Ben_M135i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 M135i

Much like a DSG fart, but a little less abrupt.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 06:42 AM   #8
ILUSV
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Confirmed exhausted actuator/flap, took the car in for service today. Will try to post video soon. No major damage - I was worried.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 01:29 AM   #9
dishy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUSV View Post
Confirmed exhausted actuator/flap, took the car in for service today. Will try to post video soon. No major damage - I was worried.
WOW, that's good

Mine was making a noise when I pulled off to go to work yesterday. Yesterday it sounded like a noisy computer with a rattly metal case. This lasts until the RPM begins to drop, at which point it doesn't do it again. When it's really cold outside it has sounded like an angle grinder on metal before.
I've already mentioned this to the BMW sales rep who I dealt with, but not had a response (hopefully because it has been over Christmas period here). I have a service interval due in about July so I'll mention it then and let them decide whether to fix it or whatever. I'm only planning on keeping the car until July 2017, at which point it will still have 12 months warranty left on it for the next owner - so as it's not happening frequently and it's under warranty anyway it is not really bothering me. It sounds like your noise was way worse.

I'd be interested to know if you feel any performance difference when you get the car back. Either positive or negative. As well as any fuel economy differences. I can image if the flap is not closing properly, you might get worse fuel economy but more power. So may be when you get the car back you might get better fuel economy but slightly less power. However this is all guess work, and the exhaust flap might be electronically controlled rather than a vacuum and so it could open at any RPM. I don't know enough about it.
I wonder if anyone else has a noisy flap? Might be more common?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 01:32 AM   #10
dishy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_M135i View Post
Much like a DSG fart, but a little less abrupt.
Yes I do like it though
I'm hearing more and more cars make this noise lately. I think I heard a Mitsubishi Lancer do it too.

Just done a bit or googling and found that Getrag makes Mitsubishi's gearbox which is 6 speed dual clutch:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_Clutch_SST

Last edited by dishy; 01-12-2016 at 01:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 10:46 AM   #11
ILUSV
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishy View Post
WOW, that's good

Mine was making a noise when I pulled off to go to work yesterday. Yesterday it sounded like a noisy computer with a rattly metal case. This lasts until the RPM begins to drop, at which point it doesn't do it again. When it's really cold outside it has sounded like an angle grinder on metal before.
I've already mentioned this to the BMW sales rep who I dealt with, but not had a response (hopefully because it has been over Christmas period here). I have a service interval due in about July so I'll mention it then and let them decide whether to fix it or whatever. I'm only planning on keeping the car until July 2017, at which point it will still have 12 months warranty left on it for the next owner - so as it's not happening frequently and it's under warranty anyway it is not really bothering me. It sounds like your noise was way worse.

I'd be interested to know if you feel any performance difference when you get the car back. Either positive or negative. As well as any fuel economy differences. I can image if the flap is not closing properly, you might get worse fuel economy but more power. So may be when you get the car back you might get better fuel economy but slightly less power. However this is all guess work, and the exhaust flap might be electronically controlled rather than a vacuum and so it could open at any RPM. I don't know enough about it.
I wonder if anyone else has a noisy flap? Might be more common?

They placed an order for the part, I will let you know if I feel any difference in power. I'm almost positive that we have the same issue.

finally got the video up, let me know

http://vid118.photobucket.com/albums...ps1mxr8zxw.mp4

Last edited by ILUSV; 01-13-2016 at 01:17 PM..
Appreciate 0