BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > ipod connectivity

06-28-2014, 05:08 PM   #1
chinnychan
Registered
Rep
Drives: 318i

ipod connectivity

hey guys

i was thinking to connect the ipod in using the normal ipod cable and use a normal 3.5mm headphone cable to connect the aux, the car doesn't seem to detect the ipod is the Y cable the only option to connect?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 09:30 AM   #2
T.C.
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 116i Sport HK

Yes you would need the Y cable for the iPod to display in the iDrive. You could use only the 3.5mm jack and have it set to aux, using the iPod to control the tracks.

My dealer threw in a Y cable when I bought my car but I didn't use it for long, although the car displays the tracks, the iPod is still providing the playback through the aux input and the sound quality is pretty poor.

I use a 64gb USB stick and sync it from iTunes using a mac program called Playlist Export. Just as easy as syncing an iPod and the sound quality is night and day since the cars head unit is now playing the tracks from the USB. I have the HK system and the USB is the best way to go IMO.

Edit: more info here http://f20.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=699811

Last edited by T.C.; 06-30-2014 at 10:51 AM..
Appreciate 0