BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > First Post: Regarding Maintenance and Winter Driving

04-13-2010, 12:52 AM   #1
sensasia
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2005 Honda Accord LX-SE

Question First Post: Regarding Maintenance and Winter Driving

I have been on several motorcycle and car forums but this forum has, IMO, the best and more informative feedback, provided in the quickest manner, I've experienced thus far. Having said that, I am in the market for an E46 M3 (2003) but I have some major concerns that I have been unable to find comprehensive information about in the other threads:
  • As a replacement Daily Driver, I am very concerned about how the car handles in the snow? Living in Colorado, 4 to 5 months of the year experience snow (roughly 4-12 inches on average) and speaking to friends who own M3's, they have told me horror stories of how miserable the car is in the snow. Would a decent set of snow tires resolve this? Members from the 1er forum have said that their 1-series, with snow tires, often handles *better* than several front-wheel drive cars with either all-seasons or winter tires. Would anyone be able to testify to the same for the M3?
  • Additionally, I've heard that the 50K mandatory tune-up / servicing for the E46 M3 is fairly pricey. Aside from this servicing, are there any other major maintenance issues? It's clear that the cost of ownership is more expensive than most cars but in your opinion, is it worth it?
I appreciate any help. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 01:12 AM   #2
mkaaes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2 C4S

Not good in the snow at all, virtually useless. Hope the roads are well paved because the E46 has a pretty stiff suspension. It's a fantistic car but not if the roads are beat to hell with snow on top of it. I believe at 60k it would be due for an inspection II, i think it's around 5-600 bucks, so not cheap. With all that said, it's one of my all time favorite cars. The motor and chasis is fantastic.
Appreciate 0