BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Oil Dipstick reading on 116i

03-09-2014, 10:33 AM   #1
Itzikpe
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i manual

Oil Dipstick reading on 116i

Hello All

I had a bizarre issue with my car...

I had a 12,000 km service done. They replace the oil and oil filter.
I drove for 1500 km and suddenly got a massage "engine oil too low add 1 litter".
I stop at a gas station and checked the oil dipstick ... it show too much oil well above the top mark ????

I took it to the dealer they drain the oil (it was 5L the one that service my car thought it is better to fill 5L then 4.2L ) remove a bit ... and get it back in. I recheckd the dipstick to see that ... it is above the max level ????!!!

Told them again ... what is happening here ???

The service man drain the oil again ... fill 4L only and call me to see. the dipstick reading show ... well above max level ... I was shocked ...

So, he told me let's go and measure a new car in the show room ... I agreed since this is how the car is sent from BMW. We checked and the dipstick show .... well above max level ?!?!?!

The service man told me BMW order to fill the car by 4.2L so he added 0.2L.

Later he tested the electrically oil measurement (is it just me or it looks like it is downloading an application ) to find out that the measurement say "oil level o.k at max".

Did anyone experience something like this ?
What happen to the dipstick ? did they invest so much in the electronic to forget to caliber the dipstick ?
If you are 116i owner I will appreciate your response (although I think it is the same in 118i and 316).

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 11:18 AM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

I checked the oil in our 116i shortly after it was delivered. It was showing close to maximum at that time. It was sinking later, using around 1 liter of oil the first 10000 km. The next 10000 km it needed around 0.5 L of oil added to reach maximum on the dipstick.

Maybe it is not possible to drain all the oil from the motor?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 03:21 AM   #3
M1fortyeye
Private
Rep
Drives: m140

It was the same with me. I contacted dealer and they said that it's impossible they would add too much oil.. my car was serviced in september. Today, after 8.000 kilometers, the oil level is just a little bit under max..

Photo (september 2013):
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 08:23 AM   #4
Itzikpe
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i manual

Thank you for the response and picture. Mine looks the same the oil cover all the plastic part.

I sent a question to BMW when they reply I will post it here.
Thanks
Appreciate 0