BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > 116i sport issues

09-01-2012, 12:52 PM   #1
willsbmw1
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 118i M Sport Estoril Blue

116i sport issues

Hi there,new to this forum,bought new 116i a few months ago.Wondered if anyone else has any ideas of what this problem I have is.From about 2000 miles I noticed black splashes up rear bumper from exhaust "car is white by the way".Inside of exhaust tail pipe black with carbon,took it to the dealer who said because I only do about 10 to 15 miles per day the car hasn't had time to warm up.So I cleaned the inside of the exhaust trim and within a couple of days splashes of carbon up the back bumper,surely this cant be normal.Also steering started to squeak when turning slow sounds like its coming from steering column but not sure,just waiting for number 3,had a 53 plate 318i for nearly 7 years not a scrap of bother.On the whole I'm pleased with the car just a couple of niggles but probably a personal thing nothing specific,look forward to any replies or advice.Car done @ 3000 miles now.
Cheers
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 02:05 PM   #2
SpokenHands
Certified Car Nut
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AMG GTC + RR Velar + 640d GC

Garage List
No issues at all, loving my little runaround.
Some things take getting used to though.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 04:18 PM   #3
rickk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E39 M5, F56E Mini Cooper SE

The soot in the tailpipe is probably just a result of the engine using direct injection.
My GTI's tailpipes black out just as fast as the ones on my 320d....
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 03:01 AM   #4
MartinHattingh
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 XDrive 2.0i

Garage List
I'm experiencing exactly the same as you on all counts. It's a ver 1.0 model, so a few niggles are expected. My steering wheel started squeeking last week, but because I know that it's a reported issue, it doesn't worry me all that much - I'll just take it to the dealer when next in their area. Funny enough, I need to do that because I also have a heat shield rattle from the turbo when it's cold, so there's anything one to add to your list to look out for :-)

Overall, even taking these things into account, I'm still very happy!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 01:59 PM   #5
willsbmw1
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Just done about 10 miles since tail pipe cleaned and now black with carbon and splashes up the back bumper.Surely this isn't normal?.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 06:06 AM   #6
nognohnoh
Registered
Rep
Drives: F20 116i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinHattingh View Post
I'm experiencing exactly the same as you on all counts. It's a ver 1.0 model, so a few niggles are expected. My steering wheel started squeeking last week, but because I know that it's a reported issue, it doesn't worry me all that much - I'll just take it to the dealer when next in their area. Funny enough, I need to do that because I also have a heat shield rattle from the turbo when it's cold, so there's anything one to add to your list to look out for :-)

Overall, even taking these things into account, I'm still very happy!
Hello,

I have the same exact issue with ratteling on my 116i (production july 2012). I also thought it was a heat shield and brought to the BMW dealer in Austria and they said they cannot localize it and its normal. Then I read your post on another topic in this forum and you mentioned that that ratteling noise was diagnosed as a faulty catalytic converter and that it should be replaced on yours. Have you replaced it yet ??
and most importantly was the ratteling still there afterwards?I went to the dealer in Austrtia and told them that BMW South Africa diagnosed it as a defect catalytic connverter on another car with the same issue and therefore they agreed to replace mine today actually, still will pick it up after work!!
Please let me know if the issue on yours was the catalytic converter or the heat shield of the turbo??

cheers,
adam
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 07:42 AM   #7
jay_a_a
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 116i sportline

I noticed the black splashes on mine today. I better keep an eye on it
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 10:07 AM   #8
MartinHattingh
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nognohnoh View Post
Hello,

I have the same exact issue with ratteling on my 116i (production july 2012). I also thought it was a heat shield and brought to the BMW dealer in Austria and they said they cannot localize it and its normal. Then I read your post on another topic in this forum and you mentioned that that ratteling noise was diagnosed as a faulty catalytic converter and that it should be replaced on yours. Have you replaced it yet ??
and most importantly was the ratteling still there afterwards?I went to the dealer in Austrtia and told them that BMW South Africa diagnosed it as a defect catalytic connverter on another car with the same issue and therefore they agreed to replace mine today actually, still will pick it up after work!!
Please let me know if the issue on yours was the catalytic converter or the heat shield of the turbo??

cheers,
adam
Hi Adam,
My converter was replaced, but unfortunately the rattle is still there...

It's now actually escalated to a low-pitched vibration on acceleration when cold, and sometimes a serious vibration when punching it at around 3500rpm. I'm going to take it back to them in a week or two when I'm able to find time. Very annoying.

I'm convinced it's a heat shield issue though, going to insist this time that they investigate in that direction. It definitely does not sound normal.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 11:08 AM   #9
MartinHattingh
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by willsbmw1 View Post
Just done about 10 miles since tail pipe cleaned and now black with carbon and splashes up the back bumper.Surely this isn't normal?.
Mine looks like this after a day or three:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 07:48 AM   #10
nognohnoh
Registered
Rep
Drives: F20 116i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinHattingh View Post
Hi Adam,
My converter was replaced, but unfortunately the rattle is still there...

It's now actually escalated to a low-pitched vibration on acceleration when cold, and sometimes a serious vibration when punching it at around 3500rpm. I'm going to take it back to them in a week or two when I'm able to find time. Very annoying.

I'm convinced it's a heat shield issue though, going to insist this time that they investigate in that direction. It definitely does not sound normal.
Hi,

Just had my catalytic converter changed as well today and we tested it again and it is still there as well. VERY VERY VERY annoying. I agreed with BMW now, that I will bring it back next week and they will keep until they find the issue. We have noticed yesterday while testing again, that the rattle is very obvious while driving up a slope, for example out from an underground parking !!
After reading your post today about the black sooth onthe bumber, I just realized for the first time that I also have these black spots on my rear bumber !!!
I have had the car for 2 months now and have driven 5400 km and I am enjoying it. But these little faults are so annoying as BMW cannot seem to get them fixed !!
Please keep us updated with ratteling noise, My next appointment at the dealer is on tuesday this coming week, I hope they will be able to sort it out.

best Regards,
adam
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 10:00 AM   #11
MartinHattingh
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hi,
the rattle is very obvious while driving up a slope, for example out from an underground parking !!
This is exactly how I described the problem to them as well! It's slightly better when the car is warm, but not much.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 04:15 PM   #12
willsbmw1
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Anyone any ideas.

Update on splashes. Had car in to dealers.for splashes and steering squeak.greased some bush or grommit.Hadnt even got out of parking bay and still squeaking.so onto next step.As for splashes up back bumper. Garage say they cant find anything wrong, Not having any of it .From the time they brought my car back to my work,@10 miles. The car which they cleaned,rather poorly, had splashes up the back.Whats going on with this car. Its a niggle thats going to cause me to go off this car.Any body got any ideas.As for rattle It didnt even get a mention,waited for phone call from service manager but up to now nothing,will get in touch and drop it back off till they have some proper answer.

Last edited by willsbmw1; 09-16-2012 at 04:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 06:02 AM   #13
peanut125i
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW 125i 5 dr (F20)

i have a 125i and also have the black splashes and as far as i know that is due to the unleaded petrol/direct injection, is not a problem at all.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 06:07 AM   #14
SpokenHands
Certified Car Nut
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AMG GTC + RR Velar + 640d GC

Garage List
No issues at all: loving my little 116i Sport!!!

Watch these forums with interest for reported issues:
at this time have absolutely no rattles, vent-squeaks, rear-suspension squeaks, back-splashes, ac blower rattles etc etc. Even my BMW dealer has been top drawer with the sale and after-sale follow-up: calling me to ensure i am happy with the purchase which i am.

This is my 5th bimmer in 4 years and quality and reliability have improved significantly, probably explains why BMW is climbing in the JD Powers Survey
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 07:03 AM   #15
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

REF: The black stains / spots on the duco around the exhaust end

This is a common issue with short curved tail pipe/s and close mounted rear back box.

When the engine shuts down after running hot, the gases still cooling in the system cause an inversion that sucks water vapour back into exhaust system, (usually worse in cold or wet weather), unfortunately as the back box is just behind the short rear pipe/s the vapour turns to liquid and accumulates in the box.

When you run the car the pipes are not long enough for the liquid/slurry to be dried so some of the liquid is caught in the vortexs around the exhaust tip lip and is then splattered onto the duco. Not a lot you can do about it.

You can get exhaust tips that have a closing flap on them to stop this, however they look crap and usually make the exhaust note sound wierd as the flap acts like a reed in a wood instrument. They work great on boats.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 08:48 AM   #16
willsbmw1
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

116i sport issues

Spoke to dealer today car going in for a few days to sort steering squeak and have another look at splashes up the back bumper.My issue is not the fact that it is doing this,the annoying fact is that it is spraying up the back,surely a box with a down facing tailpipe or angled away from rear bumper,just from an appearance point of view. Will see what BMW resource come up with.The dealer was even asking what polish I use,causing static up the back.I told him I had the car silicone treated by yourselves and have been using all BMW products,shampoo,wax and micro clothes which ended that line of thought.Thanks for your comments.Will keep you updated
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 12:55 PM   #17
MacBmwnl
Registered
Rep
Drives: 118i F20

I'v got the same splashes on my bumper (alpine white 118i f20). But i'v been having them ever since i got the car (20.000km now).Had a blue vw scirocco before this car and had the same black splashes around the exaust for 100.000 km. But on that car you never saw it that clear because of the blue colour. Now on my white bmw they are always there. To me it seems to be normal and not a problem. I haven't got any other problems like with steerin or so.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 03:05 PM   #18
Spitfire Sir?
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Red F20 116i Sport

I have noticed the same thing with the pipe on mine (3000 miler), although without the smeg being deposited on the rear of the car! Runs like a dream and loving it more every day, even starting to look a bit better as I was unsure of the looks at first. The only thing that has concerned me is the oil level, I have checked the book and it says its ok as long as the level on the dipstick is somewhere in the middle of the scale. I was expecting it to be nearer the top being a new car, keeping an eye on it anyway.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 02:34 AM   #19
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

It appears to effect the single pipe systems more than twins. To fix this, simply go to a exhaust shop and have them fit an angled down tip or fit a longer exhaust tip. (these looks crap but work well). Or perhaps buy the M Performace twin pipe add on. It will at least make you feel better
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 07:26 AM   #20
willsbmw1
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

updated issues with 1 series 116i sport 5 dr

My first post was way back when, about issues with squeaking steering and soot marks up the back of rear bumper.since first post Ive just had new rubber steering column bushes fitted as the car had been in twice more for "supposed" repair.Also back door hatch rattling as if it was open,new door catch also fitted as this problem had been seen before.Also software upgrade carried out for wipers?.when the program was downloading some power module failed and had to be replaced,car was in dealers for 3 days,had it back a day so I'm sceptical about repairs at the minute.Also had clutch temp high alarm fault although car had been standing for a couple of hours and I only got 800m down road,apparrantly its the way I drive by not putting my foot onto the foot rest,we'll see.Black soot spots,dont know yet as the weather is horrendous,but its pos something I have to live with.cheers for replies and feedback
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 04:11 AM   #21
Crazyfists
Rep
Drives: 116i M Sport Sept 12

Quote:
Hello,

cheers,
adam
I have been suffering this rattle now for months, replaced CAT and turbo but absolutely no difference. Dealers reckon its the Actuator however I still remain open to the idea its a heatshield. BMW UK are completely ignorant of the issue despite me references people on here and BABYBMW with the same complaint and quoting there claims of refinement etc.

Has anyone actually got to the 100% of this problem and solved it.

Im tempted to start a thread specifically for this to get an overall view of who is affected, compile responses and send to BMW so they actually acknowledge/admit the problem and do something about it instead of suggestiing its a characteristic.

Just to summarise for all those who misunderstand the issue

1 - Its not the initial start up rattle we are talking about that lasts a few seconds
2 - It is the rattle/clatter clearly heard between roughly 1200 and 1700 rpm, under load, probably more evident on hill starts or pulling away from junctions
3 - Happens in most gears
4 - Is not the golf tee mod as this appears to be linked to 114i, 116i and 118i N13 engines so not related to back boxes of twin pipes

Any help, knowledge etc on this much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 04:14 AM   #22
Crazyfists
Rep
Drives: 116i M Sport Sept 12

Quote:
Hi,

Just had my catalytic converter changed as well today and we tested it again and it is still there as well. VERY VERY VERY annoying. I agreed with BMW now, that I will bring it back next week and they will keep until they find the issue. We have noticed yesterday while testing again, that the rattle is very obvious while driving up a slope, for example out from an underground parking !!
After reading your post today about the black sooth onthe bumber, I just realized for the first time that I also have these black spots on my rear bumber !!!
I have had the car for 2 months now and have driven 5400 km and I am enjoying it. But these little faults are so annoying as BMW cannot seem to get them fixed !!
Please keep us updated with ratteling noise, My next appointment at the dealer is on tuesday this coming week, I hope they will be able to sort it out.

best Regards,
adam
Adam,

How did the heatshield investigation go?

See my response above, im very interested to see if this has cured the problem, many thanks
Appreciate 0