BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Bulletproof BMW Used to Rescue Dozens During ISIS Attack

11-05-2016, 08:47 PM   #1
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Bulletproof BMW Used to Rescue Dozens During ISIS Attack

How freakin' cool is that!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/bulletpro...004144213.html

Attached Images

Appreciate 4
larryn2145.50
zuschnell555.50
TI.3VOM73.50
      11-05-2016, 11:32 PM   #2
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Cool story. That guy has balls.

But this part of the story bothers me... "BMW reportedly wanted to honor Rahman a bit more for his bravery and sacrifice. The German auto manufacturer offered him a brand new BMW in exchange for the bullet ridden E32, which it planned on displaying on its corporate campus. He declined the offer and instead it would be given to Sulaymaniyah, a local Kurdish museum."

Sounds like a tasteless attempt for BMW to boost their own brand by piggybacking on someone's personal heroism. It almost trivializes the horror these guys go through. In reality, Rahman probably got the car because it was armored; not because it was a BMW. BMW had nothing to do with the up-armoring of this vehicle. They should never have offered such a ludicrous offer. It sounds so shitty and thoughtless that that particular part of the story sounds fake.
Appreciate 1
mrduder472.00
      11-05-2016, 11:44 PM   #3
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by exo-shell View Post

But this part of the story bothers me... "BMW reportedly wanted to honor Rahman a bit more for his bravery and sacrifice. The German auto manufacturer offered him a brand new BMW in exchange for the bullet ridden E32, which it planned on displaying on its corporate campus. He declined the offer and instead it would be given to Sulaymaniyah, a local Kurdish museum."

Sounds like a tasteless attempt for BMW to boost their own brand by piggybacking on someone's personal heroism. It almost trivializes the horror these guys go through. In reality, Rahman probably got the car because it was armored; not because it was a BMW. BMW had nothing to do with the up-armoring of this vehicle. They should never have offered such a ludicrous offer. It sounds so shitty and thoughtless that that particular part of the story sounds fake.
BMW has been making armored vehicles for years .....
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/general/co.../overview.html
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 2
CanAutM321115.00
Dackelone10531.50
      11-05-2016, 11:50 PM   #4
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by exo-shell View Post

Companies do this all the time. How would you know if it was a sincere offer or a marketing attempt? Perhaps one of the senior personnel has ties to Iraq and simply wants to reward this guy for his bravery.
Appreciate 2
SakhirM410784.50
zuschnell555.50
      11-06-2016, 06:30 AM   #5
zuschnell
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 m5, '18 991.2 gt3,

That is freaking awesome. He was one rpg away from a very different story. The term brave doesn't even begin to quantify the size of his balls. He is a true hero.

I'm sure BMW wanted to use this guy and his car for marketing purposes, but that doesn't mean they didn't care about his heroism. There are plenty of companies that are war profiteers, eg Halliburton. I don't think BMW can generally be considered one of them.

Current: ?13 e92 m3 ESS 585, 22 f95 x5m Comp, Track - '18 manual 991.2 GT3, Wife's family truckster - '20 Volvo XC90 T8
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 09:36 AM   #6
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuschnell View Post
That is freaking awesome. He was one rpg away from a very different story. The term brave doesn't even begin to quantify the size of his balls. He is a true hero.

I'm sure BMW wanted to use this guy and his car for marketing purposes, but that doesn't mean they didn't care about his heroism. There are plenty of companies that are war profiteers, eg Halliburton. I don't think BMW can generally be considered one of them.
Exactly. I am very familiar with that region. I can assure you 95% of the Middle Eastern population can NOT afford a BMW. an E36 with 200k miles on it sells for 10-15 thousand dollars. E46's are selling for nearly 30k (NON-M's).

The average household income in that region is 100 dollars a month.

The story is not receiving enough exposure in North America for it to be a marketing attempt. It would be cheaper for BMW to show a few commercials in North America that would reach the masses more than this would.
      11-08-2016, 10:12 AM   #7
Pete.J
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 DCT (F82)

Garage List
Cool BMW vs ISIS (for real)

The day where every BMW owner should be proud!

Interesting story, it shows what a man and his BMW can achieve. And the bugger had to breakdown at the end to live up to the brand's reliability reputation lol

Source: http://jalopnik.com/kurdish-soldier-...ium=socialflow
Appreciate 0