BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Strange metallic clicking sound

10-14-2013, 03:40 AM   #1
westphone
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M135i MT

Strange metallic clicking sound

Just hoping if someone knows what I am actually experiencing.

The metallic clicking sound is similar to one of those spring loaded pens. However, any time I turn the steering wheel 3/4 of turn the clicking sound happens. It goes click-click-click~ and on until I straighten the wheel.

It is pretty clear as I was pulling in and out of my parking spot. I have also noticed it driving on the mountain road at around 60 km/h or so when the steering turned to a less degree about 1/2 turn.

I took it back to the dealer twice, and the guy raised the car up, inspected the suspension, went on a drive with me, and acknowledged the clicking sound. However he said it is due to the nature that the car is made out of aluminum. I hope he means parts of the suspension, but the silliness is besides the point.

So, please, anyone care to take a shot at it?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 04:19 AM   #2
Avian
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2020 F44 BMW M235i Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by westphone View Post
Just hoping if someone knows what I am actually experiencing.

The metallic clicking sound is similar to one of those spring loaded pens. However, any time I turn the steering wheel 3/4 of turn the clicking sound happens. It goes click-click-click~ and on until I straighten the wheel.

It is pretty clear as I was pulling in and out of my parking spot. I have also noticed it driving on the mountain road at around 60 km/h or so when the steering turned to a less degree about 1/2 turn.

I took it back to the dealer twice, and the guy raised the car up, inspected the suspension, went on a drive with me, and acknowledged the clicking sound. However he said it is due to the nature that the car is made out of aluminum. I hope he means parts of the suspension, but the silliness is besides the point.

So, please, anyone care to take a shot at it?
If I were you I would take your car to a different dealership.
That does not sound like it's "due to the nature of the car".
That's a load of bull!

No car, wether it be a cheap Tata or an expensive Bugatti have a clicking sound whilst turning the steering wheel.

You usually expect wear and tear on cars but things like this issue should only be after years and years of torture. Especially on BMW's.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 06:03 AM   #3
orcomma
Dividing by zero
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 XDrive20d xLine

that is a classic failed wheel bearing symptom

simple fix - few hours max
      10-14-2013, 08:25 AM   #4
Avian
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2020 F44 BMW M235i Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcomma View Post

Still completely unacceptable that they said to this customer of theirs that "it's the nature of the vehicle" absolute joke!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 08:37 AM   #5
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcomma View Post

You think it is broken bearing in the steering column?
I have seen several F20 owners with these steering issues, but unfortunately the owners usually can't tell which steering option they have on their car, or we could probably pinpoint what is actually failing here. I am guessing only one of the three steering types has a problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 09:50 AM   #6
orcomma
Dividing by zero
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
You think it is broken bearing in the steering column?
I have seen several F20 owners with these steering issues, but unfortunately the owners usually can't tell which steering option they have on their car, or we could probably pinpoint what is actually failing here. I am guessing only one of the three steering types has a problem.
no no, wheel bearing (as in the roller bearing in the hub of the wheels) - i had it on my golf, the angular strain caused by turning (see Ackermann geometry) causes a faulty wheel bearing to click
      10-14-2013, 10:10 AM   #7
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Is your car 4WD?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 10:12 AM   #8
Sinof
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M4 F83 - X5 Hybrid - Z3 MQP

I experiene the same on my M135. When I turn the wheel completely to the right and drive slowly, you can hear a metallic sound coming from the left front wheel. (Xdrive, performance wheels and brakes). The guys at BMW heard it already, but I'm waiting for my performance exhaust to arrive to have a checkup. It's not all the time present so I'm curious to see what it can be.
      10-14-2013, 10:13 AM   #9
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

All my broken wheel bearings have made droning noises, but I guess they can fail in different ways.

I did however have rather similar symptoms when I had slightly too long lug bolts. They made clicking sounds as they bottomed out under load in corners, touching something behind the brakes.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 10:34 AM   #10
orcomma
Dividing by zero
United Kingdom
Rep

yeah i got a droning too in any direction, but clicking when steering was all the way one direction

could it be a CV joint?
      10-14-2013, 10:37 PM   #11
westphone
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep

Hi thanks gents. It is more precisely a ratchet sound but a little muffled (I don't think the description has improved the situation ) Thanks for the geometry link. I confess I haven't finish reading it.

No sir it is RWD.

I imagine I would hear issues from bearing if I am going straight as well, but then I am no expert. In the mean time I am just being careful to see if there is any oil or grease leaking.

I will have to find another dealership to, well, see another doctor, but if I get this sorted out I will definitely share my findings.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 11:25 PM   #12
johnnydad
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2 - 05 RS Clio 182 Cup

Steering rack or something to do with the power steering would make sense.

Mine certainly doesn't do it and I would very much doubt it's a characteristic!
99 BMW Baby Racer - red; 05 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue - Konis - Eibachs - Remus - Turinis
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 06:37 AM   #13
Bob UK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 18d X-Drive

Mine gives a single click usually when reversing with left hand down, as the steering is servotronic I put it down to a limit switch of some sort but I'll keep an ear out for it acting differently.
      10-15-2013, 08:27 PM   #14
westphone
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep

BMW Not Made of Aluminum.

Thanks guys, I am heading to another dealer after I got some time.... I have just tested it out that, F20 is not made out of aluminum, in fact no BMW I tested is Man I am disappointed, ha ha.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 08:19 AM   #15
westphone
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep

Problem solved, or at least for now

Just a follow up, the problem was solved, supposedly there is some alignment issue between the pistons and the front brake; strange but the sound is indeed gone. Took the guy some time to find out the problem and fix it.

I did not take it to any BMW dealer, but, instead, I took it to my dad's old mechanic.

The sound is gone, but my faith in BMW build quality and service at least here is at its low.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 09:10 PM   #16
DJJASE
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 320i Msport

Garage List
2008 320i  [0.00]
Strange clicking sound from front wheels on M135I

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if it was confirmed to be the wheel bearings, I have the same issue on my 8 month old M135i with 10,000ks on the clock. Under 3/4 lock either right or left when turning it makes a clicking noise just like the spring loaded pen noise those four colour pens make, its been doing it for a while and havnt had a chance to take to the dealer, its constand with the speed of the wheels. Any other thoughts
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 12:53 AM   #17
westphone
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep

It is the nature of the car I am afraid after so long.

My friend's A250 has the same click sound, we're just turning it out, sigh~
Appreciate 0