BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Choppy steering when turning

05-28-2012, 11:11 AM   #1
Jessen
Norway
Rep
Drives: F 20 116i Sport

Choppy steering when turning

Hey everyone,

Got a new 116i f20 a few weeks ago. Have servotronic.driven 1000 km. Really love the car, but after i've been driving on some bumpy roads this weekend the steering feels choppy at times in long turns above 60 km/h. Turning the car eg. to the left is okay, but while in the turn and when going back to neutral position in a long turn it feels choppy, almost as if i reach a point where i have to overcome a certain amount of power before i can continue to turn the steering wheel. Not much power needed to overcome this point, but i can feel it and cant remember feeling the same just a week ago.

Anyone else noticed this? Does your car/steering feel smooth throughout a long turn?

Maybe im just being too sensitive?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 12:19 PM   #2
biologic
Rep
Drives: F20 118i

interesting...
I exactly understand what you mean by that.
I have my 118i for 5 months now, and every now and then (like 1-2 a month)
I experience the same thing.
When I try to turn the steering wheel it's like I have to overcome some bubbly counterforce. It's not sharp, actually it's just noticable.
But I couldn't relate it to any situation.
I asked the BMW service trying to identify the problem but they could not reproduce it and also couldn't relate it to anything.
At least we can presume it's not a chronic serious problem.
Please keep me posted if you come up with any news, I'll do the same.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 01:57 PM   #3
Mazzie78
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i sport (F20)

A few more have this problem in the Netherlands. Mine did get it after I recieved a software update (see problems topic).

I have notified BMW before my car was there for normal service. They told me BMW Netherlands adviced to change the whole steering (the whole thing not only the wheel, but don't know the word for it).

They do need to order it so I am waiting for the call to replace it.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 02:53 PM   #4
Superspeed
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 640i, 120d, Cooper S

Garage List
This has been an issue on a large German F20 forum http://www.1erforum.de/der-neue-1er-...ung-96115.html
Apearently, to save fuel the electronic servo cuts off when not needed, like when the steering wheel is held in the same position for a while (straight ahead or a long constant curve). When servo aid is needed you have to overcome an initial resistance.
The problem is supposed to be known to BMW.

When ordering my F20 luckily I had already read about this occasional problem, so I ordered the car with standard steering. Which turns out to be a real good one. No artificial feeling and very good communication between road and steering wheel.

Last edited by Superspeed; 05-28-2012 at 03:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
Jessen
Norway
Rep

That sounds serious if they have to change the whole steering column. Did they officially give you a reason as to why this had happened?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 04:35 PM   #6
Mazzie78
Rep

Nope they didn't, but will ask when I will bring my car.

@Superspeed, both have the same problem standard and servotronic. So or you have been lucky, or they have fixed it with the newer builds? Mine is (116i) from October 2011.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 05:06 PM   #7
Jessen
Norway
Rep

Well mine is built early April 2012 so it hasnt been fixed if im experiencing the same problem. Will call my dealer tomorrow and see what they say...

Sucks when these things happen to new cars :-(
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 06:28 PM   #8
XavVD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 125i M Sport (soon)

My advice before considering changing the column,ask the dealer to:
- reflash the ECU if it is a flash type
- recalibrate the torque sensor
Of course your dealer will tend to push for a change of the column, because they can make big money as it leads to many working hours (assembly and disassembly of steering column can take long due to difficult access and potentially instrument panel components disassy, if it is the rack it is even worse because then suspension alignment may have to be reset) it will be huge cost to be covered by BMW, your car will be blocked for longer and it is not sure it will solve the problem.
NB: the steering wheel itself has nothing to do with this problem.
Does anyone one know if the motor is rack mounted or column mounted?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 01:15 AM   #9
Mazzie78
Rep

Well my dealer got this advice from BMW, so my guess is they aren't pushing it.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 02:20 AM   #10
Superspeed
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 640i, 120d, Cooper S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazzie78 View Post
@Superspeed, both have the same problem standard and servotronic. So or you have been lucky, or they have fixed it with the newer builds? Mine is (116i) from October 2011.
OK.... I have only 1100 km on the counter so far, still anything can happen...

Last edited by Superspeed; 05-29-2012 at 05:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 07:15 AM   #11
Jessen
Norway
Rep

Talked to the dealer today. Bringing in my car next week for a testdrive with one of the technicians. He was unfamiliar with the problem...

Will let you know what they find out...
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 03:45 PM   #12
XavVD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 125i M Sport (soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessen View Post
Talked to the dealer today. Bringing in my car next week for a testdrive with one of the technicians. He was unfamiliar with the problem...

Will let you know what they find out...
I bet it's the soft or wrong calibration. Tell me how much I am wrong when it is solved
By the way, did you check tyre pressure? Generally EPS can be quite sensitive to left/right pressure difference (front tyres)
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 04:00 PM   #13
Jessen
Norway
Rep

Well in the idrive it says that the tyre pressure is ok.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 05:32 AM   #14
arquerito
Registered
Spain
Rep
Drives: F20 116d Sport

Hi you all!

I'm in Spain and I have exactly the same problem with the steering. When engineers tested the car they did not found anything, so I will tell them what has been discussed in this forum to see if they get any ideas.

The truth is that i'm very worried with this issue, as it is a very awkward behavior and I see no easy solution.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 06:21 AM   #15
will-w
'Captain Slow'
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 118d M Sport

Garage List
2012 F20 M Sport  [10.00]
I've got the same issue, plus my steering doesn't feel particularly "safe" and I also have a knock from the front right area when going over bumps.

Dealer refuses to believe that there is a problem.... Joy!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 12:26 PM   #16
Bob UK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 18d X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessen View Post
Well in the idrive it says that the tyre pressure is ok.
Note that the tyre pressure sensors only alarm if there is a sudden drop in pressure. If there is gradual pressure loss through a slow leak or faulty valve then you won't know about it. Worth getting a decent pressure gauge and checking them once a month to be on the safe side.
      07-19-2013, 12:39 PM   #17
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob UK View Post
Note that the tyre pressure sensors only alarm if there is a sudden drop in pressure. If there is gradual pressure loss through a slow leak or faulty valve then you won't know about it. Worth getting a decent pressure gauge and checking them once a month to be on the safe side.
It will also notify about very slow leaks (I know, since I have one). The reference is the pressure you reset it at, no matter how long ago that is.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 08:43 PM   #18
Bob UK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
It will also notify about very slow leaks (I know, since I have one). The reference is the pressure you reset it at, no matter how long ago that is.
Oh well that's good to hear, I'll have to check but I think the manual says otherwise and I have heard from two different dealers that they can miss a slow leak.

Always seemed wrong to me if it didn't as you could end up with a flat condition without knowing and be driving normally, meaning above 50mph, dangerous.
      07-20-2013, 10:54 AM   #19
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Problem with the indirect system using wheel speed sensors, a slow puncture can deflate by 20 - 30% before a warning is given. Same if more than one tyre is low on pressure.

We could therefore note a difference, particularly to steering feel, before we ever get any warning of low pressures.

Checking pressures regularly is the only way to ensure all tyres are at the correct pressure, with indirect TPWS.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 11:24 AM   #20
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Problem with the indirect system using wheel speed sensors, a slow puncture can deflate by 20 - 30% before a warning is given. Same if more than one tyre is low on pressure.

We could therefore note a difference, particularly to steering feel, before we ever get any warning of low pressures.

Checking pressures regularly is the only way to ensure all tyres are at the correct pressure, with indirect TPWS.

HighlandPete
The car has caught me out a couple of times with warnings about low pressure in my right front tire before I noticed it myself. I usually set the pressure at 35 psi, and the warning goes off around 28 psi. If I had been using runflats, I guess the tires would have gone down more before the warning, but it also takes a bigger deflation to be noticeable for the driver.

I think most drivers wouldn't notice before the warning, but if you know how to check it, it is definitely possible to feel it. Easier on a track than on the road.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 11:38 AM   #21
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
The car has caught me out a couple of times with warnings about low pressure in my right front tire before I noticed it myself. I usually set the pressure at 35 psi, and the warning goes off around 28 psi. If I had been using runflats, I guess the tires would have gone down more before the warning, but it also takes a bigger deflation to be noticeable for the driver.
Yes, will be different with runflats, needs a bigger pressure difference to get the tyre deflection necessary to trigger the alarm.

Many have been caught out in the UK, believing the trigger point will be well ahead of such a low pressure many find they have when a warning is given. Quite common for someone running around 35 psi to be below 25 psi when the warning goes off. So the sidewalls have been working hard for a good few miles in many cases.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 12:25 PM   #22
Bob UK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I miss pneumatic tyres, space for a full size spare wheel and jack, proper toolkit just seems we get less and less these days.....