BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > M135i Max Boost Pressure

06-02-2013, 09:09 AM   #1
westphone
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M135i MT

M135i Max Boost Pressure

I am afraid this is more about the M135i, but I guess it applies to all the F20 1 series, because every model seems to be running relatively small boost.

Through online sources (google search really) that the maximum boost for M135i is 10 psi (~0.68 bar) . I know it's complete different business but the A45 AMG runs at 26 psi (~1.8 bar) . Meanwhile a "stage 1" modification for an Impreza is, by memory, around 18 psi (~1.2 bar).

Many people say that the twin scroll turbo isn't too good for boost modification, though explanation was never offered. I wonder how much more boost can be stuffed and how much more power power may be gained through playing with the turbo. Your say?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 11:46 AM   #2
Mr Buck
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i (soon)

It's certainly looking like Merc are squeezing every drop out of that 2.0l 4 cylinder engine. I think its going to be a really good little car tbh, looks the part (until the Edition 1 makeover makes it look like its been crashed into the Abarth garage)

I really want my car ordered inside the first few weeks of this month, but waiting to test the AMG and see if its worth the extra is very tempting tbh. If the UK got the X-drive M135i it would be a no brainer. But given how rainy the UK is and also that I'm not used to having that much power under my foot, coming from a TDI Golf means 4/AWD is an appealing prospect.

.... Sorry I havent really answered your question btw
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 09:39 PM   #3
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

I think the N55 can probably take more boost, but what that does to component reliability, and how you achieve this with an alternative turbo is a bit of a mystery, ATM. Then there's the 8AT gearbox, and whether it can handle the greater torque more boost would produce
Appreciate 0