BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > M135i - special enough?

01-17-2016, 06:05 AM   #1
splash73
Australia
Rep
Drives: Bmw 135

M135i - special enough?

Just ordered a estoril blue m135i with man tran to replace my beloved 09 135i coupe with jb4 with auto tran. Was a tough decision because I love the looks of the coupe but it's getting on in years and the 2 series doesn't do it for me looks wise. Why the m135? - that engine and rear wheel drive with manual. Nothing else for the money compares. My main regret will be going from a coupe to a hatch because they just don't look as sporty or prestigious imho. I guess that's my main question. Do you find your hatch feels special enough or at the end of the day do you know your driving a great car BUT deep down you know it's a hatch back?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 07:05 AM   #2
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by splash73 View Post
Just ordered a estoril blue m135i with man tran to replace my beloved 09 135i coupe with jb4 with auto tran. Was a tough decision because I love the looks of the coupe but it's getting on in years and the 2 series doesn't do it for me looks wise. Why the m135? - that engine and rear wheel drive with manual. Nothing else for the money compares. My main regret will be going from a coupe to a hatch because they just don't look as sporty or prestigious imho. I guess that's my main question. Do you find your hatch feels special enough or at the end of the day do you know your driving a great car BUT deep down you know it's a hatch back?
I used to have a 135i manual too back in 08. Great car, but mine was anything but stock. The front half of the car was carbon fibre to start with.

To answer your question, I'm not sure what is special any more these days to be honest. I guess a M3/M4 feels a bit more special because of the more opulent interior, but that has nothing to do with the shape of the car. Do I feel my M4 was more special than my M3 because it was a coupe? Not in my case. I just don't think a coupe is any more special than a hatch or a sedan. For me it comes down to how it drives. I also currently have a Megane RS275 Trophy-R, and to me that is a very special car. The M135i is no less special or prestigious than a M235i in my eyes, but certainly is less special than a M2 but not because it's a hatch. If they had a 1M hatch I would see that as even more special than a M2!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 07:06 AM   #3
splash73
Australia
Rep

You also described your car as useful
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 07:09 AM   #4
splash73
Australia
Rep

Good to hear. I'm sure I'll love it just curious what others think after driving and owning one for a while.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 07:12 AM   #5
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
You also described your car as useful
To be fair I don't think useful and special are not mutually exclusive. A car can be useful and very very special! I'll give you an extreme example. A parent at my kid's school has a Ferrari FF that he uses as a daily driver and picking up his 3 kids at school. He described the car to me as "very useful Ferrari", but it sure as hell is a special car!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 07:13 AM   #6
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Good to hear. I'm sure I'll love it just curious what others think after driving and owning one for a while.
Yeah not to worry, you will love the car!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 07:14 AM   #7
splash73
Australia
Rep

What's your problem em135eye I'm asking for owners thoughts on their car not an assessment of my ego or suggesting I'm a poser. Trolls like you ruin forums.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 09:16 AM   #8
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
No one cares how their car makes them feel? Your deluded. We would all be driving Subarus outbacks if that was the case.
I thought it was the other way around, that those offroad cars are mostly about image ("oh look at me, I go hiking in the mountains in the weekends!"). The F20 is a very practical car.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 10:37 AM   #9
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
I thought it was the other way around, that those offroad cars are mostly about image ("oh look at me, I go hiking in the mountains in the weekends!"). The F20 is a very practical car.
Not in snow, ice, mud, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 11:00 AM   #10
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em135eye View Post
Not in snow, ice, mud, etc.
Not? If I had a choice between the F20 and a Subaru Outback when going for an ice racing weekend, I surely wouldn't choose the Subaru! As for mud, I would not drive in it at all. Maybe with my mountain bike. For the cars, we have roads, paved with tarmac.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 02:25 PM   #11
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by splash73
"That engine and rear wheel drive" surely makes it special enough, relative to all other hatches. Indeed, the fact it is quite unassuming, is one of the key reasons it feels "special" to me. It seems quite meek and mild in the car park, but when you start the engine, people suddenly look and ask "what's that got in it?!"
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 03:34 PM   #12
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
I love the looks of the coupe but it's getting on in years and the 2 series doesn't do it for me looks wise.
Do you find your hatch feels special enough or at the end of the day do you know your driving a great car BUT deep down you know it's a hatch back?
So a 5 door hatchback, even provided LCI does look much (much more than pre-LCI) like the 2 Series, does look more like a 1 Series coupe than the 2 Series? I just can't help guessing it's the 20% price difference (ridiculously hard to dig on bmw.com.au!) that actually "doesn't do". And the rest is just pointless then.

If still not: I bought my F21 because I failed to afford a 125i coupe. No questions asked. I don't really suffer from it's being a hatchback (not "deep down", definitely), it's just a bit annoying as I hardly have any use for hatchback practicality while I would like the coupe sporty/light looks. Couldn't care less about prestige, though. And yes, no way I would consider a 5 door or an AT (I did dismiss a couple of stock ones to bargain in favour of the order actually).
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 06:00 PM   #13
splash73
Australia
Rep

Geez I'm leaving this forum as fast as i joined. I LIKE THE CAR I BOUGHT ONE -HELLO? Do you like your m135 or not? Do you feel good when you drive it? i.e. makes you feel special? All of a sudden I'm a poser trying to create a e82 clone. I'll just go back to reading reviews online thanks and you can hate on each other about someone else's question.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 06:45 PM   #14
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Quote:
Geez I'm leaving this forum as fast as i joined. I LIKE THE CAR I BOUGHT ONE -HELLO? Do you like your m135 or not? Do you feel good when you drive it? i.e. makes you feel special? All of a sudden I'm a poser trying to create a e82 clone. I'll just go back to reading reviews online thanks and you can hate on each other about someone else's question.
splash, I wouldn't get put off by someone who obviously got out of bed on the wrong side, and another whose first language isn't English. Generally, people are pretty helpful on this forum. Let me tell you, you'll feel special each time you push the accelerator down on a wide open road! Estoril Blue is a pretty special colour, too -- some even combine it with the Red interior trim (known as the "superman" colour scheme) for extra special effect.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 07:00 PM   #15
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Do you like your m135 or not? Do you feel good when you drive it?
years of an M135i
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 07:49 PM   #16
johnnydad
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2 - 05 RS Clio 182 Cup

My M135i is heading for its third birthday and it is the most complete and satisfying car I've owned. It's my third BMW (after 2 3ers). What makes it special for me is the driving experience - the silky, characterful engine, the manual box, the RWD, the lack of rattles and the perfect balance between amenity and involvement.

I love the look of the hatch (and the pre-LCI works better to my eyes) - the squat, purposeful, slightly unusual proportions and detailing. Not really worried by what image that portrays but I suppose I'd rather be seen to have chosen the more practical, cheaper, lighter version.

The only thing stopping me ordering an M2 is the lack of hatch - if BMW made an M1 for $94K drive away they'd have my deposit already.
99 BMW Baby Racer - red; 05 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue - Konis - Eibachs - Remus - Turinis
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2016, 11:01 PM   #17
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Splash, agree with Timbo. Don't leave, this forum is actually pretty good unlike some of the other forums within BimmerPost. And I have a theory as to why...the lack of Americans (they don't get this car). I have nothing against Americans at all but because cars are so cheap in the US, you get lots of adrenalin charged young blokes coming onto the forums and sometimes they aren't the most tactful people to deal with.

I love the M135i. I think it's a marvellous car. Timbo can tell you that I've had some nice cars and I've had many more cars than your average person. I could have bought a RS3 or A45 instead but chose to come back for a second M135i because my first time left me with a lasting positive impression!
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2016, 01:40 AM   #18
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

Best car ever. A sleeper one could even argue comparing performance with looks (and especially with a little extra magic under the hood).
I never was much of a poser so it suits me very well - my car is baby-blue btw but I am NOT a poser hahaha
      01-18-2016, 03:17 AM   #19
splash73
Australia
Rep

I'm not going anywhere been a reader here for years. Just got a bit annoyed because my question was genuine and not an attack on the car in any way. The more I think about getting the car (April) the more I know I've made the right choice for me. Same as manual v auto. My head said auto my heart manual and I feel this may be one of the last chances I have to order a new rear wheel drive 6 cyl manual. Can't wait to run it out in 3rd. Prob go on YouTube and decide between akro exhaust or BMW pe. Front lip spoiler and 10mm lower and I think it will be a great car.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 05:59 AM   #20
matthewcornish
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Like others I drive a manual M135i and it's an amazing driving experience. You'll love the car. Looks are subjective but I've not had anyone tell me the car doesn't look special... and it's what you think that matters. Sportiness? You'll have a hatchback that's faster and a better drive than most of the other cars you see on the average day
      01-21-2016, 05:45 AM   #21
splash73
Australia
Rep

Thanks for the feedback. I spotted one on the road today and really liked the look of it. Looking forward to getting back to a manual transmission as well which for me will make this car heaps of fun.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 02:13 PM   #22
john-wingnut
Registered
Rep

I was in a similar position umming and arring about whether to get an M135i or not, but after having a ride in my friends plus the dealers I was sold.

I also test drove the Golf R and S3, but the M135i just seemed more fun to drive and made me smile.

I originally ordered a manual, which was then cancelled due to no production run or something - or more like the dealer messed up, and I now have the 8 speed auto which I now also love, mainly drive using paddle shift.

The looks are great, new front end on LCI looks more aggressive and sporty, but as above is still understated, which I also like.

Great car
Appreciate 0