BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Living with the new F20: Hits and Misses and Loves

08-18-2012, 05:25 PM   #1
SpokenHands
Certified Car Nut
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AMG GTC + RR Velar + 640d GC

Garage List
Living with the new F20: Hits and Misses and Loves

We have just done a 100 miles in the new F20 but I am already enjoying driving this car more than I ever did the E87 we retired. I am not saying my regular F07 or the Maser are being left idle just yet. But this is an incredibly competent car for what it does (and does well). I am sure all of you feel the same way so we made a good choice!

There are the 3 things i am not so impressed with:
1. Ergonomics of the dashboard display: the bottom line of the OBC info display is completely obscured by the top of the steering column in most steering positions. The Black-Panel Dashboard option on the F20 - which is not half as good as the F01/F07/F12/F13 versions - may be a bit better.
2. The standard internal lights are poor. The ambient lighting that comes with the extended lighting package should be standard - I am going to try and look for a retrofit atleast for the front!
3. The servotronic power steering is over-assisted at low speed and I had a few confused seconds a few times when the steering didn't seem to correspond with the actual wheels! It needs to be weighted a bit, keep it a bit more natural.

The car has crystallised for me that:
1. You definitely want to tick the VISIBILITY PACK option: brighter, clearer vision and a good cornering function, plus makes the car look infinitely better
2. The DRIVER COMFORT PACK adds cruise control and servotronic power steering, surprising how both add so much to the premium feel and driving characteristics (and partly why I love this car more than ever!)
3. BMW ECOPRO is more than marketing spin; impressed how the full raft of efficiency measures adds miles when the relaxed driving style is appropriate, especially in town driving. Not recommended on A-roads and motorways though.
4. The additional rear legroom and bootspace makes this car more practical and usable.
5. The 116i has a lot of go (for an engine that size) and you should check it out before presuming you need the 118i or 120i. The 116i appears to have more usuable torque than the 116d or 118d at the lights.

For the F20, I am not sweating it on the:
1. Professional SatNav: The Sept 2012 iOs6 release will add turn by turn navigation and SatNav with rich 3D graphics on the iPhone and iPad - also voice assisted by Siri
2. Leather seats: this is my first BMW with cloth seats and though i have it treated with Supaguard, i am finding they are quite good: comfortable, easy to keep clean.

Futureproof you car with:
1. DAB/DAB+ radio - it is absolutely fab, better still with Audio HiFi
2. BMW Apps (requires Professional Media) because BMW are adding more and more interesting functionality every 3 months

I thought the headlights would be a bit of an acquired taste but surprisingly in the metal, with the contoured long bonnet, it looks quite good and better still with the LED corona rings.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 12:31 AM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

I have no problems with the 3 things you are not impressed with. I don't have servotronic, I see the instrument panel just fine, and the interior light is fine.

There are however some other details I don't like:

- Sliding armrest. What is the point of this? Sometimes I want to readjust in the seat with my weight on my elbow when it slides forward. Annoying. It is also in the way when I want to steer with the seat in a low position. Need to fold it up for advanced driving.

- Blinker stalk. When I want to indicate left and then right, I have to "double click" right. The old stalks were a lot better.

- Engine braking. When going downhill, I need very high RPM to get sufficient engine braking, due to small engine with low friction.

- Turbo lag. When driving autoX, there is some lag before the engine power kicks back in after braking.

- Lack of engine temperature gauge in the instrument panel.

Otherwise I am very impressed with the 116i!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 02:04 PM   #3
Koalway Kid
Koalway Kid 69
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 120D Sport (f20)

Garage List
The things that bug me are:
1. Auto Stop Start... Just annoying, when I pull up on my drive and stop the car cuts out... I then let my foot of the brake to get out and it starts up?
2. The indicator stalk never cancel is very vague, you end up indicating the other way?
3. Steering wheel does obstruct the lower section of instrument cluster.
4. The perspective Sat Nav view has a delay when zooming in and out.
5. Handling is wishy washy unless you are on sport mode.
6. Air Con condensates on the lower section of windscreen.
7. DAB radio does drop out of signal occasionally.

Everything else is fine
120D Sport (F20) Bk Sapphire/Coral Red/Piano trim/Sport Seats/18” 385 wheels/ Sport 8 speed step auto/Park Assist/Internet/Office/3D Nav/DAB radio/ Harmon Kardon/M Sport suspension/Anthracite headlining/ Driver comfort package/Interior comfort package/ Visibility package/Sun protection package/BMW Pro Media package/Variable m sport steering/PDC
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 03:23 PM   #4
sdk2007
Rep
Drives: F20 M Sport - Estoril Blue

I also found the steering wheel blocking the dash a problem so today I reset my driving postiion with the wheel adjusted lower.
Why didn't BMW use the dash space above, where the lane detection etc is located for the main instrument info?!?!

I tend to use the ECOPRO mode to reduce the power of the A/C. Even the lowest fan setting is sometimes too much.
There should be a sync button to change both sides of the A/C temp together.

It would be useful to adjust a few default settings. The driving mode always starts in comfort, would be good to change this.
Also it would be very useful to change the parking sensor distance tolerances. Most of the time the screen radar is red and the beep is constant yet there is plenty of room to continue the park.

Indicator cancel is annoying, most times it fails to self cancel.

I'm wishing I had spec'ed comfort access over the interior comfort pack. I'm not using the storage nets and you get the LED door handle lights with the keyless entry.

Other than that very happy, nearly 3,000 miles up

Last edited by sdk2007; 08-19-2012 at 03:32 PM..
Appreciate 0