BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > DAB Tuning

06-09-2014, 05:20 AM   #1
unsubtlewoods
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 116 i M Sport (F21)

Garage List
2014 BMW 116 i  [0.00]
DAB Tuning

Hey Guys,

Have my 14 plate 116 i M Sport a couple of weeks now and love it but one thing I can't figure out is how to manually tune in a station on DAB.

I've tried asking the dealer and tried Google but haven't found much on it.

I'm Irish, living in the UK and I'd like to be able to pick up the Digital Irish stations for GAA etc. I've checked and they are available in the UK, have the details I need to 'tune' it in but no idea how to go about it!

Any thoughts?
      06-09-2014, 05:58 AM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

The channels are distributed digitally, and there are multiple channels per frequency. This makes it impossible to tune in to the them manually. The radio keeps a live updated list of available channels at all times where you can select channel from the iDrive or the steering wheel. If the channels are not listed, then they are out of range.

Notice that the channels can be organized in groups (like files in folders). I don't remember the technical term for the groups now, was it ensembles? Anyway, you can also select between these groups. This is typically necessary if you are close to a border between two countries sending DAB channels in different groups. I recommend using the DAB menu in the iDrive to have a good overview of the channel structure.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 10:16 AM   #3
unsubtlewoods
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 116 i M Sport (F21)

Garage List
2014 BMW 116 i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
The radio keeps a live updated list of available channels at all times where you can select channel from the iDrive or the steering wheel. If the channels are not listed, then they are out of range.
I think they call them multiplex's? Anyway so if the RTE (irish station) multiplex is not listed then it is not in range in the particular location?

bummer!
      06-09-2014, 11:30 AM   #4
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

That's right. It will show up when the car can receive it.
Appreciate 0