BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Automatic transmission, is it worth?

01-25-2012, 06:24 AM   #1
Carto4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mercedes 190E 2.3

Automatic transmission, is it worth?

Hi to every one,

Was taking a look at the new F20 config options, and after reading many posts found that many people ordered the new 8 speed automatic transmission and are pretty happy with it.

Is it worth paying it's overprice over de manual one? You people think it's a good extra?

In fact I never had an automatic transmission, but I've tried some friend's car with it, and I really think you can get used to it, but it's hard when you have no practice.

So what do you think?

Thanks to all!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 08:06 AM   #2
LUV2XLR8-NL
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i Business Sportline

Garage List
I am strugling with the same issue right now...

In The Netherlands you now can get the 8 speed automatic for free...what to do?
      01-25-2012, 09:36 AM   #3
cliveywolves
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e M Sport Plus Edition 2020

I have driven autos for the last 5 years... So i did order it on my 116i sport and Im very happy its a great autobox....
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 12:22 PM   #4
LUV2XLR8-NL
Private
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
I decided to go for the manual gearbox... Only drive 30K km a year and do not want to get spoiled for the next car in four years time when this option will cost me € 2.000 ;-)
      01-25-2012, 12:37 PM   #5
JR
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: f45 218i SE active tourer auto

My last five cars have been auto, so i am definately an auto fan, I have test driven both manual and auto F20s and find the new 8 speed auto box a massive improvement on previous auto boxes, before they were always less efficient than the manual and used more fuel+higher emissions , the new 8 speed box returns the same economy+ emissions as the manual and is a terrific "Drive" needless to say I have ordered auto
Bob
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 06:31 PM   #6
eezzee
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F20

Based on the test drive, I've ordered the auto. Never had one before, but the 8 speed is very good, no loss in performance and smoother than manual changes.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 12:55 AM   #7
Occean
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1 series

Best auto I have driven, deffo a very good box. I reckon it's quicker than the manual day to day too, just by the speed it kicks down at compared to being lazy with the manual and riding the torque. Mpg isn't an issue anymore either, manual is better!

Personally I ordered the manual as I like the interaction.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 09:14 AM   #8
Carto4
Private First Class
Rep

But I guess that with this 8 gears you can achieve better fuel consumptions compared to 6 gear manual boxes, isn't it?

Thanks fot your help!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 09:27 AM   #9
LUV2XLR8-NL
Private
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
For sure, but better fuel consumption isn't an issue for me as petrol is also paid for by the company ;-)
      01-26-2012, 10:00 AM   #10
Carto4
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUV2XLR8-NL View Post
For sure, but better fuel consumption isn't an issue for me as petrol is also paid for by the company ;-)

Thanks ;D

Did any of u had the chance to comparite with a DSG?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 11:56 AM   #11
wolz
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: bmw F20 120d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carto4 View Post
Thanks ;D

Did any of u had the chance to comparite with a DSG?
funny that you mention DSG because when I test-drove 118d with the 8speed auto, one of my first thoughts were that it was poor compared to a friends couple of years old audi a4 with DSG.

with the massive pricetag of a bit more than 2500Euro (in sweden atleast) I had the expectation that it must indeed be something spectacular not seen before.

The dissapointment was big, I seriously can not understand what the fuss is all about, all reviews praising the 8-speed auto... sure it's great compared to a 4-speed auto from the late 80s, but compared to any recent premium-car it's not better at all. Sure the 8-speed is probably a tiny bit better for fuel-economy compared to most 6-speeds I guess but it's still too slow in the gear-change considering the pricetag.

Don't know if maybe I rember the audi beeing more impressive than it actually is or if the 8speed auto really is a dissapointment. OR if it was the whole experience with the 118d feeling to weak.
But I do have very recent experience with new vw passat tdi DSG. Don't find the bmw-auto better than that one either.

What I would like to test-drive is the 8-speed-sport-auto, perhaps that's the bomb. Just a 100Euro extra for that compared to the normal 8-speed, don't see why any one would choose the normal when the pricediff is so small between them and hopefully the sport-auto has something better to it.

personally i ended up spending those 2500E+ on extras instead of the auto.

also you get a 120d manual for the same price as a 118d auto. Money is best spent on the engine, there is a significant diff in performance for about the same fuel-economy as 118d.

but in the end it comes down to what you prefer, what kind of driving you do etc. If hours are spent daily in traffic-jams the auto is worth it but otherwise not imo.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 12:32 PM   #12
Carto4
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for your opinion

Do you really think you're able to apreciate that diference between the DSG and the 8speed BMW gear box? I mean, is there a huge huge diference? Maybe it was beacuse of the engine of the car, don't know.
It's just that I heard some people mentioning that there's a difference between the DSG and that one, but it isn't so big.

The difference between the sport one and the normal one, this 100€ you're talking about, it's just for steering wheel paddles I think
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 05:06 AM   #13
fullkoll
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F20 / 118dA

Wolz,

Having owned an Audi with DSG gearbox and after just ordering an F20 118dA (after reading lots of opinions about the ZF 8HP70 and done a lot of test driving) I don´t understand your negative comments about the 8-speed transmission at all......
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 05:15 AM   #14
Carto4
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullkoll View Post
Wolz,

Having owned an Audi with DSG gearbox and after just ordering an F20 118dA (after reading lots of opinions about the ZF 8HP70 and done a lot of test driving) I don´t understand your negative comments about the 8-speed transmission at all......
This is what I'm talking about. Just heard and read many people with the same opinion. Why do others think just in the opposite way? Just black or white, there's no gray.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 05:19 AM   #15
JR
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: f45 218i SE active tourer auto

Neither do I ,having had at least five BMWs with the previous generation auto box, the new 8speed is far superior
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 06:47 AM   #16
wolz
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

I'd rate the passat tdi DSG and the bmw 8-speed auto as equal. Deffenitely no huge difference. The huge difference is found on pricing bmw charging 2500euro+ whereas vw charge nothing extra for it (compared to manual) atleast in my country. Heck you even get dsg + AWD for ~800euro extra compared to the std FWD and manual. Nice pricing!

It's just that DSG has been around for a while and the bmw 8-speed is new and hyped to the max so I had high expectations it would be even better, not that it would perform on par with what audi for example offered as an option in their cars like 5 years ago.

also with the bmw-8-speed I found it jumping around between gears not finding the right gear right away when hitting full throttle simulating a takeover from 80-90km/h something.

Don't mean to come off all negative about it, bottom line it's not a bad auto-gearbox but beeing "latest and greatest" with a massive pricetag it's fair to expect perfection imo.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 07:03 AM   #17
wolz
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR View Post
Neither do I ,having had at least five BMWs with the previous generation auto box, the new 8speed is far superior
That's what I'm after really, it's supperior compared to bmws' previous autoboxes but that's because they were behind the competiton among std cars auto-transmissions. Now they catched up and offer something that match the competition but what took them so long?

my reaction to the 8-speed auto is "finally, about time, what took them so long?" whereas the general appreciation is "omg bmw has released a new auto-gearbox which is the best mankind has ever seen" like it's something sensational redefining the auto-gearbox-era i general almost.

the DSG was revolutionary and redefining when it came, this is not, but the reviews make it sound so.

I feel I have a mob coming after me hehe

Carto4's question was:

"Is it worth paying it's overprice over de manual one? You people think it's a good extra?"

My personal answer is: no. Others are free to say yes!

/me takes cover

Last edited by wolz; 01-27-2012 at 07:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 09:01 AM   #18
Carto4
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolz View Post
That's what I'm after really, it's supperior compared to bmws' previous autoboxes but that's because they were behind the competiton among std cars auto-transmissions. Now they catched up and offer something that match the competition but what took them so long?

my reaction to the 8-speed auto is "finally, about time, what took them so long?" whereas the general appreciation is "omg bmw has released a new auto-gearbox which is the best mankind has ever seen" like it's something sensational redefining the auto-gearbox-era i general almost.

the DSG was revolutionary and redefining when it came, this is not, but the reviews make it sound so.

I feel I have a mob coming after me hehe

Carto4's question was:

"Is it worth paying it's overprice over de manual one? You people think it's a good extra?"

My personal answer is: no. Others are free to say yes!

/me takes cover

Thanks for your answer then

The fact is that DSG and the BMW 8speed gear box, is that they are both automatic gear boxes, but the DSG is duble clutch, and BMW one is a "par cenverter" type. We all know that duble clutch gear boxes are the fastest ones, but BMW just offers them with the M cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 02:32 PM   #19
eezzee
First Lieutenant
Rep

No one can say if it's 'worth it' - all rather subjective. One silver lining is it may alleviate the effect of the slightly skewed driving position, which some have commented on.

A test drive will hopefully help you decide if it's worth the financial outlay.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 03:45 AM   #20
Pops-NV
Rep
Drives: Bmw 118i F20 2012

Hi eezzee,ive just taken delivery of my 118 with autobox! its amazing and definately worth it!so much more fun to drive! does getin abit use to but i would recommmend it 200%. u can view my tread to see my vehicle which i just picked up!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 03:52 AM   #21
Pops-NV
Rep
Drives: Bmw 118i F20 2012

Carto4....yes its worth it!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 12:06 PM   #22
eezzee
First Lieutenant
Rep