BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Alpine Audio Upgrade

01-14-2016, 03:12 AM   #67
Grave
Private
France
Rep
Drives: 220D M-Sport

Ask your dealer or awaissmann ?
Don't know why, but
on Realoem this kit exists for right hand drive cars even F21 LCI 125i but is'not visible for any F2x 35i (F20-21-22 and LCI left or right)
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 04:03 AM   #68
AirbusH
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M135i LCI 2015

Doesn't fit 135i apparently.
Does anybody know what's different about M135i to make it not fit?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 05:27 PM   #69
xantant
Rep
Drives: F20

M135i uses "Active Sound Design" which basically is Motor Sound made by a Control unit. The alpine retrofit kit doesnt support this artificial Sound Design.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 03:21 PM   #70
AirbusH
Enlisted Member
Rep

I've coded the ASD to off now. Would it work with it off I wonder?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2016, 06:15 AM   #71
AirbusH
Enlisted Member
Rep

Alpine Amp now fitted on my 2015 UK RHD F21 M135i, and working!
Took 4 hours to do but could do it in half the time if I did again.
The only issue I've found is that the wiring harness is wrong, in that the front speaker wires (A5-A6 in the instructions) are crossed, so left is right and vice Versa.(The subs and rears which seem to be connected together somehow are correct) So I will need to extend the left wire to go from below glove box over to the right door. The other wire is already long enough.
The newer instructions I have (which which have the older part no, include some details on RHD cars) say put selector on Amp to no 3 for RHD F21 but the selector only seems to affect the rear speakers to be on or off.
I coded the ASD off before I fitted it, and added 'HIFI' to HO-WORT in ESYS after fitting which gives the after market fitment option and thus the Alpine HIFI in the VO, This reduced the overall volume especially the gong sound.(if you don't code it it is all too loud,heavily equalised and bongs very loud)
Sound is so much better but I'm going to experiment with coding the different FDL HIFI options to see the effect.
I took quite a few pictures, so might do a DIY thread if anyone is interested?

New part no is 65412413270 which is a 6 channel Amp and is plug and play (old no is 65412293994)
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2016, 12:44 PM   #72
Jay-Dee
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 118i - Safire Black

AirbusH - Welcome the the Alpine club

I installed mine about 2 weeks ago and only did the coding a few days later... What a difference the coding made and loving the difference of the kit altogether.

I had the same issues with Left vs Right speakers also being a RHD but just swapped the pins / cables around in the connector block to the AMP

Quick question, any idea what the other numbers on the selector switch do? I know the following from the manual...

1 = F20/F21
5 = F30/F31

and now 3 - F21 too?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 03:39 PM   #73
AirbusH
Enlisted Member
Rep

Not sure, they only seemed to affect the rear speakers?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 06:55 AM   #74
AirbusH
Enlisted Member
Rep

Also the ASD (active sound design) works normally with the Alpine system no problem.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 06:48 PM   #75
ballay
Registered
Rep
Drives: F20 2012 Ok

I just installed the kit and found you all here a year later.

I coded 676 instead of coding HIFI. It seems fine to me and the overall sonic quality is way better.

By the way, the selector for F20 RHD is 3. The imaging will shift a little bit to the right side. Selecting 1, which is for LHD, the imaging will shift a little bit to the left side.

Jay-Dee, my car is RHD and I had same issue as yours. I have tried out swap the pins/cables of the connector but in vain. Any advice for me?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 08:54 PM   #76
mika03au
Registered
Rep
Drives: 125i

Rear speakers on my 125i are open air speakers.
I thought speakers need some sort of box assembly to project their sound?
A free air speaker will always sound terrible.
Has anybody modified theirs for this?
I have the Alpine upgrade fitted.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 07:50 AM   #77
BLACKBIRDSR71
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G31, F20, MINI F56

Is it worth or is it possible to just add tweeters to the standard sound setup on the F20?

I did this on my E87 and it made a noticeable difference. I can't justify the cost of the alpine upgrade on my F20, but would like to improve the sound a little.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 03:01 AM   #78
BimmeRCK
Registered
Rep
Drives: 1 Series F21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBIRDSR71 View Post
Is it worth or is it possible to just add tweeters to the standard sound setup on the F20?

I did this on my E87 and it made a noticeable difference. I can't justify the cost of the alpine upgrade on my F20, but would like to improve the sound a little.
For Sure! If you do not have the tweeters right now the difference is already pretty big just by adding them. I upgraded my door speakers with the HK ones and added the HK tweeters. Sounds is projected through the car way better.

Pretty easy and satisfying upgrade, with the right tools to take the door card off you'll be done under 20 minutes (for F21). Just take in account the F20 needs the entire inner window sill changed since the tweeter cover is attached to that. For F21 it is just the tweeter cover.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 10:51 AM   #79
BLACKBIRDSR71
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G31, F20, MINI F56

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmeRCK View Post
For Sure! If you do not have the tweeters right now the difference is already pretty big just by adding them. I upgraded my door speakers with the HK ones and added the HK tweeters. Sounds is projected through the car way better.

Pretty easy and satisfying upgrade, with the right tools to take the door card off you'll be done under 20 minutes (for F21). Just take in account the F20 needs the entire inner window sill changed since the tweeter cover is attached to that. For F21 it is just the tweeter cover.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 02:05 AM   #80
mika03au
Registered
Rep
Drives: 125i

Is there any adjustment for the under seat woofers on the upgrade amplifier?
Mine sound a bit boomy at normal listening levels.
(worst with the DAB radio)
It sounds like it needs a low pass filter to restrict what goes to the under seat woofers.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 03:42 PM   #81
davidcapi
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 120i M

I just ordered a 120i here in Costa Rica. The car comes with a very basic/bad audio system made out of 4 speakers I believe. I was planning on upgrading it to HK 12 speakers set but the dealer wants $2000 for this extra.

I noticed that upgrading audio to HK on the X2 costs $900 in the U.S.

Is there a reason for such a high price in my case? I know I will be paying a small extra for the fact that I'm buying this in Costa Rica but still not sure if going forward with the upgrade. Any help?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 11:11 PM   #82
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcapi View Post
I just ordered a 120i here in Costa Rica. The car comes with a very basic/bad audio system made out of 4 speakers I believe.
There are usually 2 woofers as well.

Quote:
I was planning on upgrading it to HK 12 speakers set but the dealer wants $2000 for this extra.

I noticed that upgrading audio to HK on the X2 costs $900 in the U.S.

Is there a reason for such a high price in my case? I know I will be paying a small extra for the fact that I'm buying this in Costa Rica but still not sure if going forward with the upgrade. Any help?
Firstly, you should've noticed the factory HK price for the 2 Series (which is pretty much the same as the 1 Series minding the body) instead (the price is exactly the same though). Secondly, you don't buy it in the US anyway so why worry?

Consider your options. If you can't afford Harman Kardon consider the factory Hi-Fi option (no tweeters there!) or proceed to the Alpine retrofit (choose your car there) this thread is about. Enquire the dealer. Consider importing from the US (this is an obsolete one, it won't fit your new car but notice the price) or elsewhere and labour price (unless you wish to do it yourself). Decide.

Of course there are different non-OEM retrofit solutions as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 09:21 AM   #83
davidcapi
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 120i M

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
There are usually 2 woofers as well.

Firstly, you should've noticed the factory HK price for the 2 Series (which is pretty much the same as the 1 Series minding the body) instead (the price is exactly the same though). Secondly, you don't buy it in the US anyway so why worry?

Consider your options. If you can't afford Harman Kardon consider the factory Hi-Fi option (no tweeters there!) or proceed to the Alpine retrofit (choose your car there) this thread is about. Enquire the dealer. Consider importing from the US (this is an obsolete one, it won't fit your new car but notice the price) or elsewhere and labour price (unless you wish to do it yourself). Decide.

Of course there are different non-OEM retrofit solutions as well.
Thanks for the info. I can afford the HK set, what I can't afford is getting screwed unknowingly. When I realized my local dealer wanted $1000 more than what the US market asks for the X2 HK option I needed to find a perfectly good, logical reason for that.

I'm trying to avoid anything retrofitted aftermarket, I live in a really small latinamerican country, anyone willing to charge for a job like that will not be qualified and his perception of work well done will be subpar.

They don't have the Hi-Fi option so it's either factory default speakers or the 2k upgrade for HK. Now that I see this Alpine set go for $1000 I'm thinking it might not be that bad.

In Costa Rica we pay around 50% more in taxes for any brand new car. This 120i, no extras, M package is $40.000!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 12:04 PM   #84
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
importing from the US (this is an obsolete one, it won't fit your new car but notice the price)
Not necessarily, sorry.

Quote:
I can afford the HK set, what I can't afford is getting screwed unknowingly. When I realized my local dealer wanted $1000 more than what the US market asks for the X2 HK option I needed to find a perfectly good, logical reason for that.
No workaround - isn't it "a perfectly good, logical reason"? Importing a X2 from US should cost a fortune, I suppose. You seem to give BMW "a perfectly good, logical reason" for their current bullshit of only your local BMW site availability from their worldwide site.

Quote:
They don't have the Hi-Fi option so it's either factory default speakers or the 2k upgrade for HK. Now that I see this Alpine set go for $1000 I'm thinking it might not be that bad.
They do according to the configurator. It's just from my research it's no good, worse than the Alpine, unless you listen to that dumb bass beat rather than music.

For me having the Alpine installed would've cost pretty close to factory HK (I could not afford it when ordering) besides my job quality doubts. I find the basic speakers acceptable, but it depends on how demanding you are, of course.

Quote:
In Costa Rica we pay around 50% more in taxes for any brand new car. This 120i, no extras, M package is $40.000!
You are not alone! There's been quite some whining of the kind here, I don't feel like searching but you can. Feel free to wander around the world BMW sites if you wish to compare (there are immediate prices usually). It's just pure pricing is not actual buying ability: you put it as Costa Rica people are expected to have plenty of USD. Or just escape to US and forget about the world.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 02:12 PM   #85
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
you put it as Costa Rica people are expected to have plenty of USD.
I might have to correct myself again: I happened to get

Quote:
This 120i, no extras, M package is $40.000!
as $40000 (dot as a digits grouping, not decimal symbol) for M package addition to the car! Anyway, $2000 for HK does look excessive, though if I recall it correctly, it would have been almost the price for me back then too...
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 04:31 PM   #86
bimmerfeak
Registered
Rep
Drives: '14 F20 118i

from my understanding if you have standard audio its worth it to upgrade, not if you already have the hifi audio
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 09:36 PM   #87
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfeak View Post
from my understanding if you have standard audio its worth it to upgrade, not if you already have the hifi audio
Actually, it should be sufficient to understand it's only intended for the basic audio:
  1. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=03_1313;

2. http://f20.1addicts.com/forums/misc....ments&t=688310
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 11:25 AM   #88
kooli9
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-Dee View Post
AirbusH - Welcome the the Alpine club

I installed mine about 2 weeks ago and only did the coding a few days later... What a difference the coding made and loving the difference of the kit altogether.

I had the same issues with Left vs Right speakers also being a RHD but just swapped the pins / cables around in the connector block to the AMP

Quick question, any idea what the other numbers on the selector switch do? I know the following from the manual...

1 = F20/F21
5 = F30/F31

and now 3 - F21 too?

About to this myself do you guys have any tips?
Appreciate 0