BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Surely I am not the only one - M140i Hatchback

06-30-2018, 10:00 AM   #45
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
It's gonna suck when they make it a bloated fat Mini Cooper for the next generation. I don't feel like innovation is there anymore in the brand...
      06-30-2018, 07:06 PM   #46
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

I do think it's a shame BMW didn't bring the 1er hatchback to the US market.

If you live in the US buy a Focus RS. Better in every way and waaaay more entertaining.
      12-31-2018, 09:27 AM   #47
mike22b
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Does anyone know if importing one from Mexico would be a headache?

I'm in Houston and that would be an easy 2 hr flight plus 8 hr drive back...

Has anyone done this before?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 09:55 AM   #48
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Go drive an M240i; it's number and duller than a beige wall. The M140 will be just as painfully boring but in hatchback form. These F series non-M cars lack anything resembling feel or communication. Just putting a bunch of HP doesn't make something entertaining. Yes the idea of a 1-series hatchback sounds lovely but the reality isn't as good...
      12-31-2018, 11:53 AM   #49
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
Go drive an M240i; it's number and duller than a beige wall. The M140 will be just as painfully boring but in hatchback form. These F series non-M cars lack anything resembling feel or communication. Just putting a bunch of HP doesn't make something entertaining. Yes the idea of a 1-series hatchback sounds lovely but the reality isn't as good...
Where did you drive it? My experience is that the F20 feels numb when you drive it in transport mode. Once you take the car to the limit, the communication is there. I can feel the grip even on ice tracks. I miss the throttle response of naturally aspirated engines, and the low weight of my old E30s, but the F20 isn't really numb. It is perhaps too well behaved. You have to provoke it rather hard to bring it out of balance, which can be slightly boring. The older BMW kept you more on edge as a driver.

PS: The car deserves non-runflat-tyres to handle and feel right.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 07:51 AM   #50
ScottAndrew
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
Where did you drive it?
Don't feed this one .
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 07:53 AM   #51
alanf
Registered
Rep
Drives: E91 330i

There aren't any naturally aspirated 3.0L 6s available any more, which is a shame. I currently have a NA 3.0L 6 (N53) E91 and it is a great motor.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 09:46 AM   #52
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
Where did you drive it? My experience is that the F20 feels numb when you drive it in transport mode. Once you take the car to the limit, the communication is there. I can feel the grip even on ice tracks. I miss the throttle response of naturally aspirated engines, and the low weight of my old E30s, but the F20 isn't really numb. It is perhaps too well behaved. You have to provoke it rather hard to bring it out of balance, which can be slightly boring. The older BMW kept you more on edge as a driver.

PS: The car deserves non-runflat-tyres to handle and feel right.
On an auto cross track as well as a few times as a loaner. Didn't like it at all sorry...
      01-02-2019, 09:38 PM   #53
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike22b View Post
Does anyone know if importing one from Mexico would be a headache?

I'm in Houston and that would be an easy 2 hr flight plus 8 hr drive back...

Has anyone done this before?
Unlikely as the car is not road legal in USA (somebody mentioned this around, I don't know for sure).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAndrew View Post
Don't feed this one .
I didn't notice the user name at first.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 05:04 AM   #54
Sumon Roy
Registered
Bangladesh
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Originally Posted by Sunbingo

Quote:
Unless you live in Canada or somewhere you have so much snow and sludge most of the year, you really do not need AWD.

After owning a brand new 2018 golf r, i have some things to report. It is a good car, really good car. It is quiet and can be practical, good on fuel when you are not driving it like you stole it, very slick looking.

Downsides, it is still a 4 cylinder turbo, there is no way around it. It is not smooth, you can feel it, refined maybe but not smooth (if that makes sense). Sounds like any other 4 cylinder turbo car (which we have plenty of).

It snowed very heavily here in Bavaria, i went for a drive in a BMW 340i and we had no issues at all in thick snow (granted correct tires/wheels matter). Drove the R on that exact road, same feeling.

The sound actuator (that silly hockey puck under the windscreen) failed twice, once at 1,500kms and once again at 2,000kms. It was replaced under warranty but when it failed again i just disconnected it. My dealership has a 3 week booking, so i did not bother waiting 3 weeks to sit for 2 hours to have them replace it.

As far as handling goes, mine came with horrible conti tires, body roll is a lot and on certain corners i did not feel confident at all. Other people that got the car with PSS are super happy, but i was not ready to spend €800+ on new tires on a new car which already had new tires.

The manual is horrible, no difference when shifting in a golf R, GTi or TDI, they all feel the same. The clutch is funky, till now it has an undecided bite, meaning sometimes i barely lift off the clutch and it bites, sometimes i lift a lot to get it to bite, very inconsistent (some users have deleted that check valve or remove a spring to get more direct feeling/response).

Interior is top notch, looks modern and classy at the same time, no complaints. However, i could not for the life of me, get my driver's seat just the way i want it. I am constantly moving slightly forward or backwards, side bolsters are not as supportive as i thought. Pedals have a weird spacing and heel and toe is more like side foot and toe, which is great on the street i guess, but when you need to stomp those brakes hard, it does not really work. This R really is designed for the DSG, you can feel it when driving. The electric steering (though good) is like i am playing a sim racing game with no forced feed back, just gets heavy and that's all (i can not believe chris harris said that steering feels good, maybe those press cars are calibrated differently or i got a lemon lol). The exhaust drone in race mode...it is really really bad, anywhere in the rev range and really loud.

Since this is my first brand new car, and costing me €50,000 after options, insurance, winter wheels/tires, registration etc, i decided to lease it just incase something happens. I am so glad i did, because since delivery day with 7kms on the car second gear was acting up. Every month i was at the dealership diagnosing the issue, and they confirmed that second gear synchro was faulty. They contacted VW in Wolfsburg and they asked me (yes me not the dealer) to send them a video showing them the issue.

I recorded a very clear 15 minute video and sent it to them. Two weeks later they replied "this is normal, all manual golf r vehicles shift like that". The dealership and myself could not believe their reply, so i filled out a reclamation forum to return the car, it is going back on the 29th of this month.

As i said, it is a very good car, but with the headache of my dealer, VW and the issues i had, it is my first and last VW. I am sure that i am a rare case, but we have owned numerous BMWs from new and even touch 370,000kms+ on one of them and not even the head gasket was replaced (granted the car was mainly driven by my mother and i was generally making sure all fluids/oils were topped as well as tires pressure every 2 week or so). I am sure you can get more/less the same on any other well maintained car, but that service center of mine....just hate to go back in there again.

Do you really need AWD? Ask locally about your VW dealer, most likely you will have a warranty on a used R if you choose, see what the customers are saying about them, The R will definitely use a bit more fuel than say a 300hp FWD GTI due to the heavier AWD/Haldex system, not by much but just giving you a heads up.

I apologize for the long post, but i am giving you my actual real world experience with my car, issues and dealership, hope this helps.
yes, you said it correctly, it feel like playing a sim racing game, specially the steering is uncontrollable !

Last edited by Sumon Roy; 02-25-2020 at 08:26 AM..
Appreciate 0