BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > BMW F20 116i Tuned

12-21-2017, 03:52 AM   #45
Acceleration TV
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1fortyeye View Post
I guess you made this video when there was 3.5 degrees outside?
The temperature outside was about 4 degrees celcius. But I can say the temperature is fine even on 20 - 30 celcius days if you do a 0 - 200 km/h pull (it rarely exceeds 120 - 125 Celsius with fast driving if you do not drive on top speed).
      01-16-2018, 12:05 PM   #46
Weiman
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i M-Sport -14

How is fuel consumption (under 'normal' driving) affected by the tune?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 01:49 AM   #47
selçukdal
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw M4 Maserati GT MC Huracan

It was around 9-10 lt
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 11:04 AM   #48
pakiminator
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 Black M116i -14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeWide View Post
Hello here,

sorry to dig this topic, but some advice would be awesome !

I plan to do some upgrade on a 116i .

I'm plan to do :

- K&N filter
- Spark plugs
- Intercooler
- Complete exhaust catback
- GFB DV+
- ?

But in regards of your experience, I would like to have your ideas.

- Which intercooler would be better , 135i OEM or aftermarket model (bigger) something like this : here
- I've read that you've got really big problems with sparks plugs, what would be recommended ? 135i oem ?
- In term of perfs, do a down cat is really recommended? what about the
Sound comfort?
- Do an oil exchanger need to be mounted ?

Thanks fir your advice's guy's !
I am planning for the same upgrades. Someone who can answer?

Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 04:49 AM   #49
vded
Greece
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 (2015) 116i M-Pack

I have my 116i N13 remapped a year now. Power gains, 225hp/32kg on 1.0-1.1 bar.

I have the stock air filter. No problem.
I haven't changed the spark plugs. No problem.
Intercooler I have fitted the OEM from N20 engine (125i model). Here in Greece we have plenty sunshine and high temperatures 8 months a year. No need for a bigger or more expensive intercooler.
The gains for changing the exhaust are minimal, not worthy in my opinion. I have fitted only the M135i backbox for the double exhaust looks.
GFB DV+ installed back then. Makes good work on MT cars.
Catalyst change to a new one doesn't worth. It gives only around 5 more hp and plenty of unpleasant smell when you start the car.
No oil exchanger / oil cooler needed.
      03-29-2018, 12:03 PM   #50
Weiman
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i M-Sport -14

Quote:
Originally Posted by vded View Post
I have my 116i N13 remapped a year now. Power gains, 225hp/32kg on 1.0-1.1 bar.

I have the stock air filter. No problem.
I haven't changed the spark plugs. No problem.
Intercooler I have fitted the OEM from N20 engine (125i model). Here in Greece we have plenty sunshine and high temperatures 8 months a year. No need for a bigger or more expensive intercooler.
The gains for changing the exhaust are minimal, not worthy in my opinion. I have fitted only the M135i backbox for the double exhaust looks.
GFB DV+ installed back then. Makes good work on MT cars.
Catalyst change to a new one doesn't worth. It gives only around 5 more hp and plenty of unpleasant smell when you start the car.
No oil exchanger / oil cooler needed.
Sounds sweet. How about fuel consumption?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 01:40 AM   #51
HercPehl
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F20 125i

Well to say all the data Vded done the remap with few milage on the motor. Hence no need for changing coils or SP. Further is not a must change if no problem arises, which even then the OEM are still used. So delphi for coils and NGK for plugs as standard change intervals or depends how you feel regarding the maintenance of the car.

IC as stage one you may get away with the one mentioned and you can find it online the PN is : Valeo 818263 for the N20 motor or as stage 2 the N55 IC with PN Valeo 818260.

the DP makes sense for hot weathers such as Greece to eliminate heat from the turbo, any power gain in this situation i believe is secondary to that effect.

DCI or CAI atm there is no need as a comparison between 2 friends me Vded know, with similar set ups the one used a panel filter had more torque in contrast with one having a DCI/CAI and the wangner competition IC. The argument here may be in the power delivery on repetitive level such as in track or hill climb

Fuel consumption under normal driving if that cooperation between you brain and foot is achieved stays the same or else the consumption is increased slightly to deliver full power

I personally also suggest Bee Pees idea for the front and rear binding struts he has suggested which i have on mine. And lastly charge and boost pipe when the OEM are done for.

Clutch wise again the N13 need no upgrade since you guys have the same one with the N20 motor so can hold up 350nm which is the stock power of an N20 motor of the28i variant
Appreciate 1
vded6.00
      03-31-2018, 05:52 AM   #52
jabugui
Private
Spain
Rep
Drives: f21 lci 120iA

I remapped it as well after a flawless warranty period expired. From the stock N13 130kw (120i model 2015) and got 170kw at 6300rpm in a faily linear fashion. Very happy with it indeed since then.

The lower band remains the same with stock 250Nm (up to 2500rpm),then the new map comes in linearly to 3500 reaching 310Nm max torque, up to the limiter.

This allows a normal use with stock map a less component stress in the daily driving, and a very controlled via rpm power delivery in the spirited driving.

The fuel efficiency remains the same as stock or slightly better considering the power gain.

The car performance now with 6kg/HP and the handling is just fantastic.

Last edited by jabugui; 03-31-2018 at 06:03 AM..
Appreciate 2
Weiman153.50
      04-14-2018, 10:52 AM   #53
pedelgax
Rep
Drives: BMW 120i F20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabugui View Post
I remapped it as well after a flawless warranty period expired. From the stock N13 130kw (120i model 2015) and got 170kw at 6300rpm in a faily linear fashion. Very happy with it indeed since then.

The lower band remains the same with stock 250Nm (up to 2500rpm),then the new map comes in linearly to 3500 reaching 310Nm max torque, up to the limiter.

This allows a normal use with stock map a less component stress in the daily driving, and a very controlled via rpm power delivery in the spirited driving.

The fuel efficiency remains the same as stock or slightly better considering the power gain.

The car performance now with 6kg/HP and the handling is just fantastic.

Hello, I used JP+ but my car shows knocking problems in low RPM, so for this reason I removed. What about remap?.
Do you install another components in order to achieve this numbers?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 05:45 PM   #54
jabugui
Private
Spain
Rep
Drives: f21 lci 120iA

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedelgax View Post
Hello, I used JP+ but my car shows knocking problems in low RPM, so for this reason I removed. What about remap?.
Do you install another components in order to achieve this numbers?
Just completely stock and 98RON fuel, custom remap from a reputated tuner. I do not wish to change any components, for me is more than enough.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 10:48 AM   #55
pakiminator
Sweden
Rep

Ready to install decatted downpipe + m135i intercooler. Anyone who can give some tips or write some wise instructions?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 02:00 AM   #56
HercPehl
Enlisted Member
Rep

Why decatted? The downpipe is the hardest to install due to the turbo positioning.

The cooler requires the following:
remove airbox and fan and loosen the fasteners
lift the car remove bottom cover and remove the cooler and reverse the above to install.
switch engine on and go have some fun!!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 05:53 AM   #57
pakiminator
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HercPehl View Post
Why decatted? The downpipe is the hardest to install due to the turbo positioning.

The cooler requires the following:
remove airbox and fan and loosen the fasteners
lift the car remove bottom cover and remove the cooler and reverse the above to install.
switch engine on and go have some fun!!!!
Mainly because I want to reach ~240bhp and the sports cat are quite expensive... do you know how much work there is in terms of time and what needs to be removed in order to replace it?
Why asking "why decat"? Do you have some good suggestions?

Thanks for the explanatiob regarding the IC case.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 07:14 AM   #58
HercPehl
Enlisted Member
Rep

there are +/- on decat one is the smell which makes it hard to have the windows open. you loose on the low rpm though gain in the high end of the rpm.

i would consider to step back for 3-6 months and get an wangner one that is the cheapest atm. or get an custom made if that is cheaper.

also whats the law on with yearly emissions testing in your country?

you may want to consider adding BP and CP.

Besides the hp what torque figures are you planning to get? are you an AT or MT

the IC should be a 20mins job taking your time including double check and may require assistance.
What else have you added on the car so far based on the list you had mentioned above?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 11:47 PM   #59
pakiminator
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
there are +/- on decat one is the smell which makes it hard to have the windows open. you loose on the low rpm though gain in the high end of the rpm.

i would consider to step back for 3-6 months and get an wangner one that is the cheapest atm. or get an custom made if that is cheaper.

also whats the law on with yearly emissions testing in your country?

you may want to consider adding BP and CP.

Besides the hp what torque figures are you planning to get? are you an AT or MT

the IC should be a 20mins job taking your time including double check and may require assistance.
What else have you added on the car so far based on the list you had mentioned above?
- I can live with the smell but overall performance would increase right? The car will be faster and better fuel economy? Also without the downpipe I cannot achieve stage 2 performance..

- I already got me a stock m135 intercooler for 80$ (used) but the strange thing is that I cannot see any difference comparing it with my stock 116i intercooler and I dont know if I need to change it since there is no difference?? Visually and dimension wise they are 100% the same, is it possible that there could be no difference performance wise as well?

- Removing the cat is illegal in Sweden but I will hopefully pass the yearly checkup control by mixing ~30% ethanol. In worst case I will add a cat removable cat into the system.

- Sorry but what is BP and CP?

- Im running MT and torque should be around 310nm(stage 2).. attached picture is for stage 1, my tuner will do a custom tune for the stage 2...

- Performance wise the car is stock. I have added m135i backbox with dual pipes, lowered 50mm (h&r), m performance parts etc..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 12:44 AM   #60
HercPehl
Enlisted Member
Rep

Dont know about the performance gains i know for a fact that the DP will assist in air flow reducing lag and release heat.

the differences of the coolers lies inside the core. I have some picture that i need to find though is between the n20 and n55 coolers. The first has the fins in U shape rather narrow whilst the N55 fins are V shaped and broad.

BC= Boost pipe from turbo to cooler and CP= Charge pipe from cooler to the throttle.

That not a stage 2 but stage 1!!! i will pm you a tuner i know in sweden. If you look for Vded car has the same backbox, am N20 cooler and the DV+ @ 220hp and 320nm torque and thats stage 1....
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 01:20 AM   #61
HercPehl
Enlisted Member
Rep

first pic from an N20 cooler watch the fin shape second pic from N55 again look at the fins shape
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 01:28 AM   #62
pakiminator
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Dont know about the performance gains i know for a fact that the DP will assist in air flow reducing lag and release heat.

the differences of the coolers lies inside the core. I have some picture that i need to find though is between the n20 and n55 coolers. The first has the fins in U shape rather narrow whilst the N55 fins are V shaped and broad.

BC= Boost pipe from turbo to cooler and CP= Charge pipe from cooler to the throttle.

That not a stage 2 but stage 1!!! i will pm you a tuner i know in sweden. If you look for Vded car has the same backbox, am N20 cooler and the DV+ @ 220hp and 320nm torque and thats stage 1....
- Appreciate your inputs and quick responses.

- I hope you can find the picture since I need to convince my mechanic that the two ic's are different in the core.. he is telling me to drive with the stock 116i and later on he can change it to m135 ic only to show me that there wont be any improvements... I know it is silly but I dont know what to tell him haha.

- I would appreciate if you or anyone have some suggestions/examples where to buy the BC and CP. Whats the cost and performance gains and time needed to change the parts.. difficult or not?

- Yes stage 1. Thanks. What numbers sre acceptable with stage 2?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 01:47 AM   #63
HercPehl
Enlisted Member
Rep

Pictures are above first pic is N20 2nd N55. Had the same issue with mine mechanic sounds reasonable in his request though! mine and his argument may be in the current IAT temps. What are they? Based on the tuner in Greece that i mentioned on the PM said it was a good change for the N13. it may be a good idea prior remaping to log the stock temps and after the change to log those again and compare and contrast.

stage 2 should be around 240hp and 340-350nm torque

I got the FTP combo deal from Peter @ www.Pureturbos.eu from Belgium i know he has stock on the N13 cause i bought recently from him hence why i know. +10 on his customer service including the after sale service and fast delivery. he was out of stock and under 6 days he had managed to send it to me. He can be found in here or copy paste the address above.
Gains include lag reduction, increased throttle response. time required for the N20 was a full hour. price for the items varies due to the postal method and distance.

Last edited by HercPehl; 05-04-2018 at 02:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 02:24 AM   #64
PeterPure
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3

Garage List
2017 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pakiminator View Post
- Appreciate your inputs and quick responses.

- I hope you can find the picture since I need to convince my mechanic that the two ic's are different in the core.. he is telling me to drive with the stock 116i and later on he can change it to m135 ic only to show me that there wont be any improvements... I know it is silly but I dont know what to tell him haha.

- I would appreciate if you or anyone have some suggestions/examples where to buy the BC and CP. Whats the cost and performance gains and time needed to change the parts.. difficult or not?

- Yes stage 1. Thanks. What numbers sre acceptable with stage 2?
Feel free to PM me for that BP and CP combo. As Hercules mentioned I have them stocked in Belgium.

Kind regards,
Peter
Appreciate 2
      05-05-2018, 08:40 AM   #65
pakiminator
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Pictures are above first pic is N20 2nd N55. Had the same issue with mine mechanic sounds reasonable in his request though! mine and his argument may be in the current IAT temps. What are they? Based on the tuner in Greece that i mentioned on the PM said it was a good change for the N13. it may be a good idea prior remaping to log the stock temps and after the change to log those again and compare and contrast.

stage 2 should be around 240hp and 340-350nm torque

I got the FTP combo deal from Peter @ www.Pureturbos.eu from Belgium i know he has stock on the N13 cause i bought recently from him hence why i know. +10 on his customer service including the after sale service and fast delivery. he was out of stock and under 6 days he had managed to send it to me. He can be found in here or copy paste the address above.
Gains include lag reduction, increased throttle response. time required for the N20 was a full hour. price for the items varies due to the postal method and distance.
Thanks for the info and response.
I will check it up!

I will probably go for the gfb dv+ first and then see if I need more
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 04:07 AM   #66
L99ryc
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Modified BMW F20 116i

Cool 300 Bhp N13 ???

So i have a BMW F20 116i

At the moment the following changes have been done:

Stage 1 Remap - 220 BHP 310NM

Since then i have been prepping the car for stage 2

i have fitted the OEM BMW m135i Intercooler
a Pipercross panel filter

but heres my query, my car just had a service and needs spark plugs, so as i know i am going to be pushing more power, i want to future proof my car and make sure i get the correct spark plugs.

Many people say m135i spark plugs are the ones others say NGK ?

what is the best path to go down ?

reliability is a must on my build, once stage 2 map is carried out i plan on getting a turbo custom fab or go meth injection.

on the topic, any tuners recommended for meth injection ???

300 is the target.

help me.

and please before people tell me "it will be cheeper to get a different car" etc... i am in love with the whole sleeper thing. the 116i badge really fools people and i eat the likes of Fiesta St, Golf GTI for breakfast when on the motorway already, but i am chasing numbers, so more is needed.
Appreciate 0